HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shutdown/restart invasion  (Read 1665 times)

Ancient ninja

• whats wrong with my helmet?
  • Alien Grunt
  • Think footman think!
    • View Profile
Shutdown/restart invasion
« on: January 31, 2009, 09:30:23 AM »

Ok, a long time ago when I bought this computer all worked fine but after a while my restart stopped working. Everything worked fine just as always but when everything's black then the computer stays on. The lights and the fan and the other things were still on. I had to press on the big ol' button to shut it down. It wasn't a big problem because I could use shutdown insead but now my shutdown has been consumed as well. I tried searching on google but I didn't anything that could help me. I'm using Windows XP Home.

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
Re: Shutdown/restart invasion
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »

I would guess: power supply. It's the kind of behaviour that append when the power supply is not strong enough for the rest of your computer

Ancient ninja

• whats wrong with my helmet?
  • Alien Grunt
  • Think footman think!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 05:00:26 PM »

So I should get a better power supply?

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 05:44:28 PM »

So I should get a better power supply?
It's only a guess, but it look like a typical power supply problem, to be absolutly sure I would need to have my noze inside your computer with multimeter or even better an oscilloscope.

But you can figure out by an other way, you have probably bought the computer in one piece and upgraded it, in that case try to find all the box of all the pieces of your computer check the power requirement (in Watts), add them together. Compare that number to how much your power supply can deliver, if it's too close or superior to the power supply deliver then you need to change.

But even if it's clearly inferior the problem may still come from your power supply, some component may badly working or some shit like that or maybe it was from a bad brand or something.If you decide to buy a new power supply buy a good one.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:50:52 PM by bloodsurfer »