HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Heart of Evil Napalm Edition released!  (Read 11484 times)

SaxonSwine

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
Heart of Evil Napalm Edition released!
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:30:50 PM »

After a long wait by members of the public (and the dev team) comes the release of Heart of Evil Napalm Edition!  This mod is a total conversion for Half-Life, offering players the chance to dip into the crazy world of wartornzombieinfested Vietnam.
A lot of work has gone into developing this mod, so we hope that you'll all enjoy it!

Download the mod from Half Life Creations

Or Download the mod from MODDB

Or Or Download the mod from Planet Phillip

For players new to Heart of Evil, you are placed into the boots of Special Forces officer Captain Percy Freeman, who is tasked with despatching the villanous (and extremely mad) Colonel Kurtz.  Not long after beginning your mission you are betrayed, and forced to find your way to Kurtz on foot.

Along your way you will have to deal with rogue US Soldiers - apparently they think you're a traitor, and have been tasked with hunting you down.  Not only are there US Soldiers after you, but also Huey helicopters!  These Helicopters are deadly since they have front gunners, side gunners, rocket launchers and the ability to drop off troops.  You'll will need to carefully plan their movement around a Huey helicopter in order to take it out with an M79 or RPG-7!

After fighting your way past rogue US forces, you come up against the uglier side of war.  Unkillable zombies!  Or are they?  Any sort of explosive will kill a zombie, anything less than that will knock them down momentarily.

Like the original Heart of Evil we have kept the vast free roaming environments, but we have made the puzzles within them more straightforward, so that backtracking is kept to a minimum.  Objectives are clearly marked with glowing markers, and the levels are also considerably easier to navigate.

We would like to thank people who have been watching the mod so patiently - we hope this lives up to your expectations!  Saddle up, lock and load and head into the world of Heart of Evil...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:04:53 PM by SaxonSwine »

Greaser

• Sven Co-op Testing Team
  • Gonarch
  • I want to move to Sweden one day.
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Evil Napalm Edition released!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:14:40 PM »

That's some great news!

Maybe I've missed that information, but is it gonna work under WON?

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 03:57:26 PM »

What a wonderful day, downloading =D

Edit: Or not there is no download on ModDb ='(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 03:59:00 PM by bloodsurfer »

SaxonSwine

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 05:51:40 PM »

That's some great news!

Maybe I've missed that information, but is it gonna work under WON?

It should work with WON :)

there is no download on ModDb ='(

I added some mirrors in the post above.  It seems that MODDB takes a while to authorize files - sorry about that guys!

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 06:07:20 PM »

I added some mirrors in the post above.  It seems that MODDB takes a while to authorize files - sorry about that guys!
Thank you, downloading now =D

halflifedave

• Converter
  • Gonarch
  • Greed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 10:16:19 PM »

Any plans to add the Village of the Damned training mission, or did I just not see it?

I like what I've played so far. Feels like it's own game, independent of the original.

Uh, The helmets for the pilot_sitting models are from the Eve of Destruction 2 mod for BF2. I'd recognize those crappy UVs I did for the conversions anywhere.

Nige111

• Gonarch
  • Metal Gea.. I mean.. Shagohod?!
    • View Profile
    • Cake :D
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 11:01:21 PM »

Where's my heli ride? :(

...and bloom.

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • Gonarch
  • GE:S and Ballistic Weapons tester.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 01:16:14 AM »

Woot, I'm downloading this now. :)

Congrats on the release guys!

Aydin

• The full metal alchemist
  • DoC Development Team
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 03:10:11 AM »

awesome Im re-installing half-life for this :P

SaxonSwine

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 08:38:20 AM »

Thanks guys!

Where's my heli ride? :(

...and bloom.

Sadly the bloom had to be cut, it was causing rendering problems :/  There is this bloom mod http://www.fpsbanana.com/sprites/255 not ideal I know, but it's better than having model textures rendering on world brushes :P

The Heli ride was cut because the prefab helicopter looked god awful, and we couldn't get a model working to replace it

Any plans to add the Village of the Damned training mission, or did I just not see it?

I like what I've played so far. Feels like it's own game, independent of the original.

Uh, The helmets for the pilot_sitting models are from the Eve of Destruction 2 mod for BF2. I'd recognize those crappy UVs I did for the conversions anywhere.
Village of the Damned isn't included - there were plans to make it a bonus mission at the end of the game, but that didn't happen due to time constraints.  I'm glad you liked it, but damn I didn't know those helmets were from BF2 :X
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:41:17 AM by SaxonSwine »

Nige111

• Gonarch
  • Metal Gea.. I mean.. Shagohod?!
    • View Profile
    • Cake :D
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 09:22:24 AM »

What about the shadows?

SaxonSwine

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 05:54:11 PM »

Shadows were removed along with shaders... basically the shadows looked like shit.  I don't know if you saw videos with the shadows, but they were all flickery.  The other problem was that the shadows rendered all the weapons inoperable :P

I'm game for releasing the Map source files at some point so that a mapper can port them to Source, which would bring all the spangly goodness of Source to the game ;)

Barnz

• French Fries
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 06:20:50 PM »

-no cutscenes,
-performance problems
-minor errors
-no vietcong killing in hq (why?)
-a way to turn off music
-voice acting is okay

still it's all good, but it's not what I was expecting

Mirror

• Reflection
  • Alien Grunt
  • Dot Dot Dot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 08:18:17 PM »

I haven't gotten through the whole game yet but I wanted to post my first impression. Sorry if it is a little harsh there wasn't much good to say.

First off I know you said you had time constraints so take what I say with a little less salt. Now I know you guys have put alot of work into this redoing the levels and all the models and sounds and all but, I have to say, I wouldn't suggest this mod to a friend if it was his first play through I would point him towards the original unless the graphics were really bothering him. I would have to say this fails to capture the original feel of the game to me. I don't know if that was what you were aiming for, a whole new feel void of the original if it was rename the mod to something else. The voice acting wasn't as good as the original in my opinion, the old voices were done better as well as their dialogue. Your added bits such as the assistant and gay reference with the air commander detracted from the feel. Also the removal of the ironic execution scene was also a bit of a turn off for me, in the beginning after they give you orders to kill Kurt and accuse him of being unethical you walk outside to see civilians getting gunned down was pretty ironic in my opinion. I know the helicopter bit was removed because of the ugly prefab but couldn't that have been remedied with say a chase cam fly along? I do like some of the new maps and touches you guys have added like the glowing keys and such new layout(on some levels). The music at some parts did not fit, especially the beginning part where you're trapped with barney. I had to totally just shut off the game right there cause it was just bad and did not fit at all. A for effort, C for execution. I know you guys put hard work in this. I think I am biased because all the other reduxes people have made such as the opposing forces redux in my opinion didn't do well at really 'improving' the original game instead gave it a different feel because of some weird and awkward edits such as music choice. Models are great, weapon sounds are great, voice acting is mediocre-borderline worse than original, maps themselves are pretty nice looking. Textures are superb also.

I might edit this post with more to say after I bother finishing the game if I do.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:24:57 PM by Mirror »

Greaser

• Sven Co-op Testing Team
  • Gonarch
  • I want to move to Sweden one day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 09:22:45 PM »

I love new models, sounds are good too. Dubbing is good except the voice of Barney (I don't like his head model either - helmet looks too small and his face too big). I'm missing parts where you ride back in the truck fighting chopper. Also, what's wrong with player models?
Pages: [1] 2 3