HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [HL2] New combine soldier (from an old concept)  (Read 4677 times)

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
[HL2] New combine soldier (from an old concept)
« on: July 06, 2009, 03:51:43 PM »

So here is my first HL2 compile, it's also my first skinning job (the vest)
yep that's all, it's normal mapped and stuff, credits in rar, also there is only two LOD level (close and very far), since I didn't find a way to do some without screwing up the whole skeleton and shit, and I did the vertex weight by hand since the automatic stuff in XSI don't seems to work on that model so it might be a bit glitched not sure.

comments and critics are welcome

[File not found]

Cliffton_Vlodhammer

• Inhaler of Small Crabs
  • Houndeye
  • Spiffing since 1876
    • View Profile
Re: [HL2] New combine soldier (from an old concept)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:19:44 AM »

Releases need moar attention.

Seriously.

Anyway, it's nice to see some more concept stuff. Got a few nitpicks, mostly regarding similarity to the concept (I assuming you want to copy it directly. If not then disregard I guess :P)

-You should probably scale the head down a bit. Apart from being closer to the original, it just looks odd IMO.

-The shoulder pads could be a bit wider and sloped downwards... over the shoulder.
I know you're probably trying to avoid the whole "IMMA SPACE MAREEN LOL" thing, but just give it a try see how it looks.

-Lastly, looking at the concept again, you can just see a few mag pouches around the belt.
You could probably use the big ol' pouch from the default or even hack something off the MetroCop.

All in all, pretty good, but it could use some bits and pieces to make it more interesting.

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:19:15 AM »

Thanks for the reply Cliffton, the model I wanted to create was inspirate fom the concept art not just a copy/paste but yeah I think some pouches would look better too. Also I think you think the model look thin and the head big (it's the original one btw) because the original model is pretty fat, seriously they look like a bunch of Otis clones running after and about to have a cardiac arrest because they eated too much donnuts

Barnz

• French Fries
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:42:35 AM »

hey that's not bad for a starter - i don't agree with cliffton, his suit needs to look simple. no backpacks, no ammo pouches. keep this way

pros:
-long gloves (metrocop style)
-colour choice on suit
cons:
-stretched texture on vest
-shoulder pads are bit high
-get rid of leg pads