HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raising general computer speed  (Read 4273 times)

J-Man

• Too busy for anything
  • Alien Grunt
  • I need to stop posting firestarter threads.
    • View Profile
Raising general computer speed
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:16:41 AM »

My computer is unbearably slow. Source refuses to run most of the time, online shooters are impossible, startup takes from 10-60 minutes (not kidding), and iTunes (and any other media player, in that case) stutter and pop.

If I can speed it up with software, great.

If I have to save for ram/parts, ok.

My goal is to get this beast working for as little as possible.

Specs:

XP Home SP3
Intel Celeron 2.40Ghz <This one could use upgrading, I've been told.
1gb ram
Geforce 5200fx <Crap, I know.
SB Audigy SE
459/668 gb free/total disk space

Nige111

• Gonarch
  • Metal Gea.. I mean.. Shagohod?!
    • View Profile
    • Cake :D
Re: Raising general computer speed
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »

Ah, Celeron, you're in the same boat I was in, couldn't do fuck all about it since the mobo was AGP and it was near impossible to find a better processor that was the right socket.

Your best bet is just building a new PC from scratch, since that'll be what you're doing if you plan to "upgrade" this.

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 10:05:21 AM »

Simple your computer is probably filled with crap, spyware and scuh, your registery is also probably filled with unused entry, also you probably didn't defrag since a long time. My advice reinstall from scratch, plug in a new RAM (so you can have 2Go) you can find some pretty cheap on ebay, also once you reinstall keep it clean, learn how to use CCleaner, Hijackthis and antivirus even online one, also optimize your system, don't install pointless shit and such
Don't believe me ? My computer is a 6 year laptop, I got a Athlon 1.8 Ghz, 2 Go of ram DDR2 and a ATI X200M, and I play source games on 1024*768, model on high, texture on normal, effect on high

J-Man

• Too busy for anything
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 03:45:58 PM »

Come to think of it, i should probably run all my cleanup stuff.

Isn't an athlon tons better than a celeron, though?

Edit: Also, does bloating the non-startup drives slow down the computer, ie: uninstalling apps from C:\ and putting them on G:\?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:48:32 PM by J-Man »

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 08:30:28 PM »

Come to think of it, i should probably run all my cleanup stuff.

Isn't an athlon tons better than a celeron, though?

Edit: Also, does bloating the non-startup drives slow down the computer, ie: uninstalling apps from C:\ and putting them on G:\?
That shoudn't be a major problem, I think fragmentation is the worst with an unclean registery, also the default conf of windows tends to leave tons of shit after a while.
So I guess you can look for website that explain how to opstimise windows that's probably the best you can do

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 11:49:52 PM »

Not much of a techy guy (yes I know. I can use them but I cant fix them >_>) but if you've still got your windows disks, I'd suggest you copy all the data you need to keep + reformat all the HDDs + reinstall Windows clean.

If you think some of your stuff might be infected (viruses, AIDS, spyware, rabies, etc), you could probably install Windows (if possible, on an older Windows so you don't use an install on your normal OS... not sure about that actually), do a quick AV/SW/aids scan, kill any viruses, copy it onto another set of CDs, reformat, THEN install your final Windows install + setup from there.

Aswell, yeah, you should generally put as little as possible on your C drive. C holds the OS + the less space it's got to use up, the slower it'll be.

J-Man

• Too busy for anything
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 05:04:13 AM »

So my D:, G:, and H: drives can hold my apps while my C: should be as empty as possible, right?

Oh, plus, my powersupply is struggling. I have 4 physical ide hard drives that I should consolidate ASAP, and the strain coming off the hds would speed up my comp, correct?

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 10:00:29 AM »

Well the best for you would to partition your first hard drive, a 10go one for the system (at least for windows XP), also you can modify the setup of windows so Programme File and Document And Settings (this one contain the the users and their documents) are on an other hard drive or partition, it's a neat trick and quite easy to do (and legal), look for Windows XP unattended on google (also there is a sourse forge project name like this, but custom setup or deploiment are native on Microsoft softwares).

Also their is a few tricks to use if you want your windows to work better, most are related to the registery it could a bit dangerous but it's safe as long as you don't press delete randomly, I've join a reg file that you should install (just launch the damn thing)
/!\ONLY FOR XP/!\
The modification force the system core to stay in the RAM rather than being paged (it works well if you have more than 256mB of RAM), it also activate the auto delete of the page file on shutdown (it's safe), that make the computer faster during work also a litle during boot, it's right click->modify if you want to take a look at the thing

Edit: Also you can use a better defrag tool than the windows one, try JKDefrag (also available on screenserver verion \o/), this one work really well

[File not found]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:03:19 AM by bloodsurfer »

Matuka

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 08:45:44 PM »

Try out something awesome, works perfectly for me..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:41:14 PM by Matuka »

alcina

• Headcrab
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 04:42:31 AM »

Sounds like the symptoms of a Spyware infestation. Seriously, 10-60 minutes for your PC to start up? I know Celron's ain't exactly the flash, I used to have one, but there is no way your computer should take that long to start up.

You can probably avoid reformatting. Try these first -
*Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button
Download it for free. This application works really well for getting rid of bugs. It's saved my life many-a time and I highly recommend it to the rest of you. Run your computer through a few scans with this app and it should get rid of most of your problems.

*AVG Anti-Virus: http://free.avg.com/ww-en/homepage
If you don't have it already, get it. It's a free Anti-Virus program and probably works just as well if not better then its costly retail equivalents. I swear by it, try it out for your self and see if that helps.

*Also check out Spy-Bot and run a scan with that. -Also free: http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

If you've used them, and your computer is still failing, and you've tried everything else you can possibly think of to get around the problem, I would suggest reformatting. If you want to nuke your computer of any infections that's the best way to be sure.

Concerning hardware - You can get pretty good PC parts fairly cheaply. RAM pretty much costs nothing, a decent CPU (intel Core 2 Duo E7500) will set you back around $150 and a graphics card you could get away with for less then $200. You don't want to go too cheap though because the rate at which technology is moving forward, you'll have to proberly update very shortly after anyway. In fact I would suggest purchasing a brand new rig if you've got $1500 lying round.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 04:52:36 AM by alcina »