HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I Think I Prefer to Stay Inside  (Read 8989 times)

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
Re: I Think I Prefer to Stay Inside
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 03:31:39 AM »

I hope not. By which I mean, more than that.

I know, I know. I'm teasing.

What kinda maps did you use for that stuff, anyways?

64 for the spent casing, 128 for the cans?

Jazz Hands

• H.I.T. Forums Mega Dancer
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 03:34:10 AM »

I never really looked into the HL: E section much but after looking at this stuff I got to say I'm really interested in this now!

Abyss 25

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 03:48:22 AM »

I hope not. By which I mean, more than that.
These have all been textured by me. That's not graininess you're looking at. That's low resolution. The only model that has relatively medium-to-high resolution textures is the crowbar, because it's not tiny. In-game these are smaller, and the textures look fine in that environment. While I'm going for a relatively classic look, I'm not trying to make them low quality, believe me, but I like to stay reasonable with my texture and polygon sizes, relative to screen real estate.

Now, to clarify: apart from the crowbar, for which I've used a stock photo of brushed metal for the base of, all of these are textured using grunge brushes, layer effects, and other techniques in Photoshop - I don't think I've ever used the film grain effect in a texture, especially not the ones here, and I tend to steer clear of relying on filters. On the other hand, I still have quite a bit to learn about texturing, and I agree that a lot of these tend to look pretty flat. I've tried working with baked-in highlights and mine have yet to come out looking any good. That said, I'm definitely going to try work in some into future textures, and add them to these as well. Keep in mind that some of these can't help looking a bit grainy no matter what you do, as the 256-colour palette required of Half-Life model textures will do that sometimes, especially the smooth surface on the pop cans, which have a gradient. This isn't Source or another modern engine, unfortunately, so I have to work within those limits.

Yeah, low res 256 color textures are a bitch. Sometimes I forget we're working with a ten year old engine that won't accept 512's for props.

Ambient.Impact

• Administrator
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
    • Ambient.Impact.Design
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 05:19:12 AM »

64 for the spent casing, 128 for the cans?
Spent shells are 128x64, most of the ammo pickups are 256x256, the cans are 256x128, and the main medkit texture is 512x256.

Yeah, low res 256 color textures are a bitch. Sometimes I forget we're working with a ten year old engine that won't accept 512's for props.
The max pixel size for model textures is 512x512, regardless of what role it's meant for. Just make sure to set gl_max_size to "512", because Half-Life defaults to "256" which scales large textures down to that size. It's only world textures stored in WAD files that can only go up to 256x256 pixels. The 256 colour restriction isn't always that bad, but it can matter on certain textures, where it becomes kind of noticeable. We'll have ways of using 24-bit colour textures in HL:E, but not for vanilla Half-Life.

gi777

• headcrabz!!
  • Alien Grunt
  • headcrabz are cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »

Abyss, you do realize that those textures are for a previous previous previous previous gen engine? Those flat, bland textures only look good when you add 5654544663443 shaders.

Abyss 25

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 04:59:53 PM »

Abyss, you do realize that those textures are for a previous previous previous previous gen engine? Those flat, bland textures only look good when you add 5654544663443 shaders.

Or if you paint a bit of lighting on.

Ambient.Impact

• Administrator
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
    • Ambient.Impact.Design
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 11:01:10 PM »

Alright guys, don't start an argument - Abyss is correct on this point, good static lighting can be added into a simple texture, even without shaders. Let's try to keep on topic.

Fredy

• Romka's shitter
  • Alien Grunt
  • Gaygaygaygaygay
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »

I remember back when hl2 was speculated in 2002, Valve release media for hl2, and it was a crowbar render  :P
Nice work, it looks perfect for HL, not low or high res, just a good middle ground for a 10 year old game.
Pages: 1 [2]