HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 2572 times)

waqwarrior

• prettier than the average
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
Where to start?
« on: September 14, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »

Hi. I'm what some may consider a typical noob. For those who don't have the patience for noobs, comment away, but please, be polite.
For those who do have the patience, I have a question:
Where to start?
One of the crucial things to learn in the GoldSource engine is mapping. I have Valve Hammer 3.4 downloaded and installed. I've launched the program a few times, but haven't a clue as to how to use it.

Does anyone have a good resource for tutorials, their own stash of tips, anything? I don't know how to use Hammer at all, but would like to learn.
Mapping seems like it would be a good trade to pick up early... any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Lt.JC

• Silencer
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Nostalgic-Games
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:17:50 PM »

If you really want to start mapping for half-life then this site will give a good range of tutorials:

http://www.twhl.co.za/tutorial.php

BUT, I would not say that mapping is an easy start, nor is modeling or any other thing that has to do with modding.

Things can be simple if you make em so but in the end, the result counts.

However you have to ask yourself what you really want to do. I decided to map for half-life because I always wanted to make my own worlds and give the player new areas to play in but still it is hard as hell to come up with something decent.

I could never model because I am a horrible artist and it takes a lot of work in detail to make a character looking human/natural or make a weapon look authentic. I have no patience for those things, all I can do is little hacks for personal use.

And there are many other things one can do. Making textures for a mod. Make sounds or compose music, or just animate models that are made by other people.

I don't think that starting with mapping and going over to modeling would benefit in anything. One thing is totally different from the other and you have to decide what fits you more, what you would like to do more because you think you could be good at it.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:24:57 PM by Lt.JC »