HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Botchy Textures - GPU Problem?  (Read 5726 times)

razorback

• Snark
    • View Profile
Botchy Textures - GPU Problem?
« on: October 05, 2009, 04:16:18 AM »

Hello everyone,

Sorry to bother you all again, but I'm having a bit of an issue with Half-Life at the moment. You see, on my old PC Half-Life ran perfectly. Then when I got my new computer I installed Half-Life on that, having no doubt in my mind that the game would have no problems running... And then when I get in-game, I notice the textures look all blotchy. Coming into light from dark areas seems to show this problem off the most which makes me think this may be something to do with the graphics card and the way it's rendering light effects in the game. Even the textures on the models seem to have this same problem. Here are some screenshots below, hopefully you can see what I mean -

I've looked and looked for solutions that might fix this problem, I've tweaked around in the nVidia control panel, changed the video setting in Half-Life but nothing as yet has seemed to work. I'm running Half-Life on Open GL, and the graphics card I'm using is a GeForce 9400 GT. I'm worried that I may need to purchase a new Graphics card, but I'm hoping that someone out there may have also come across this problem and may be able to offer some insight into how to fix it. I would appreciate any help.

Nige111

• Gonarch
  • Metal Gea.. I mean.. Shagohod?!
    • View Profile
    • Cake :D
Re: Botchy Textures - GPU Problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:49:30 AM »

Run in 32 bit mode.

razorback

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »

Run in 32 bit mode.

This may seem like a bit of a n00b question - But how do I get Half-Life to run in 32 bit-mode?
(By the way I'm using the WON version of Half-Life).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:51:41 AM by razorback »

Greer

• Allergic
  • Alien Grunt
  • Crazy porter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:44:58 AM »

This may seem like a bit of a n00b question - But how do I get Half-Life to run in 32 bit-mode?
(By the way I'm using the WON version of Half-Life).

It should be around graphics options, along where you pick OpenGL and all(if im not wrong)

razorback

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:52:07 AM »

It should be around graphics options, along where you pick OpenGL and all(if im not wrong)

Thanks for the reply Greer - Unfortunatly though there's no option for changing to 32 bit mode in the graphics options (or video options). I had tried both open GL and Direct 3D, that didn't change a thing. -

But I'm pleased to say the problem has been resolved, thanks to Nige111. Thanks pal, I really am grateful for your help. For anyone else who's run into this problem the solution is to edit Half-Life's shortcut parameters to enable 32 bit mode. You'll probably have to do this if you're running the game on a relatively new PC for it to look its best. To reach the game's command line, just right-click on your Half-Life shortcut and click properties. Change the target to read - C:\SIERRA\Half-Life\hl.exe -32bpp

And just for reference here are a few other parameters you might want to utilize:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-console
This one is one that everyone should have in their command line. Besides disabling the annoying intro movies, it allows you to access the console from the main menu and from in single player mode. After enabling this, you can open the console in-game using the ~ key.

-32bpp
This option is used to enable 32-bit color in Half-Life. If you have a good video card or run in high resolutions, this will allow you to make the most of your excellent hardware. Note however that 32-bit color can be significantly slower than 16-bit color. With lots of transparencies on your screen (the smoke grenade from Counter-Strike 6.5 being a perfect example), having 32-bit color will multiply the slowdown caused. We recommend 16-bit for resolutions 1024x768 and above when seriously gaming.

-numericping
This option allows you to see actual ping times to servers instead of stupid dot ratings in the Half-Life server browser. Even if you use other game browsers, it's still informative, and doesn't have any drawbacks.

-nojoy
This disables joystick support in the Half-Life engine. It shaves a little bit off the memory footprint of Half-Life, so add this if you don't use a joystick.

-noipx
This disabled IPX support in the Half-Life engine, and like nojoy, it reduces memory use slightly. If you don't use IPX in your network, add this to your command line.

-heapsize XXXXX
Where XXXXX is, you can place a number, and Half-Life will allocate that much memory (in kilobytes) for use with the game. While many recommend setting this anywhere from 75 to 100% of your system memory, I have generally noticed performance seems much better when Half-Life does its own memory management. I leave this in the guide for you to experiment with however.

http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/halflife/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:54:39 AM by razorback »

Captain Scarlet

• MAOAM
  • Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
  • HeadcrabMAOAMScarlet
    • View Profile
    • Meh
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:04:23 PM »

:O thanks I have slapped in this option as it happened to me when I replaced my graphics card

Barnz

• French Fries
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 12:58:22 PM »

Thanks for the reply Greer - Unfortunatly though there's no option for changing to 32 bit mode in the graphics options (or video options).

It's because you're using older version of Half-Life.

razorback

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 10:54:39 PM »

It's because you're using older version of Half-Life.

Well, I did say I was using the WON version :P

Greer

• Allergic
  • Alien Grunt
  • Crazy porter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 07:29:37 AM »

Well, I did say I was using the WON version :P

He means you are useing older version of WON.

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 03:43:16 PM »

He means you are useing older version of WON.

No, WON is the old version. HL has been updated since WON, so Steam is a higher version of HL than WON.

Nige111

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 04:41:33 PM »

No, WON is the old version. HL has been updated since WON, so Steam is a higher version of HL than WON.

WON still got patches, remember? ::)

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »

WON still got patches, remember? ::)

I thought they stopped patching it since Steam HL came out. Why bother?

Nige111

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »

...Uhm... I don't even know where to start with you.

Just because it's not been patched recently, doesn't mean it was never patched at all.

If he's installed it off of the disk, then there IS a patch available for him.

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 06:51:13 PM »

...Uhm... I don't even know where to start with you.

Just because it's not been patched recently, doesn't mean it was never patched at all.

Yeah IDK what I'm talkin about.

I used WON HL once, long ago. It was for CS1.6/retail. I just figured they'd stop patching WON HL once Steam came out.

waqwarrior

• prettier than the average
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 10:57:36 PM »

I use WON (mainly due to its simplicity and my having a Pentium III) and I think it's great. Sure it's not as customizable, but good coders can make it better than the Steam version.
Pages: [1] 2