HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Rag doll style animations  (Read 18945 times)

fX8

• Houndeye
  • Skype- ffelix8888
    • View Profile
    • My Webpage
Re: Rag doll style animations
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 02:01:22 AM »

I made a beta release for hgrunt rag doll style animations. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuStSNvZxfM
How are they?

highvelocityraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 03:03:46 AM »

I think some of the animations are a bit fast and would lower the FPS to my liking. The rest looks alright.

Also the what hgrunt is that?

KevinLancaster

• Hooray! I'm a
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 03:59:37 AM »

I swear I've seen these before. They look like jelly.

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 04:39:56 AM »

No, Gman did a set of them a while ago, but they look like the hgrunts fall over and turn to jello aswell.

fX8

• Houndeye
  • Skype- ffelix8888
    • View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 06:26:54 AM »

I think some of the animations are a bit fast and would lower the FPS to my liking. The rest looks alright.

Also the what hgrunt is that?
Some anims are too fast? I can  fix that later. As for hgrunts....I don't know. My hl is so messed up. I took the first hgrunt I found and compiled it with these anims. I'll remove a link if someone starts yealing at me :P

fX8

• Houndeye
  • Skype- ffelix8888
    • View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 06:28:15 AM »

I swear I've seen these before. They look like jelly.
fpsbanana? I saw there hgrunt and barney model with rd anims

No, Gman did a set of them a while ago, but they look like the hgrunts fall over and turn to jello aswell.
You talk about all anims?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:33:12 AM by fX8 »

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 12:20:05 PM »

The starting possition for the anims is bad, it's not supose to be the ref pose, also I'm sure there is a lot of parameters you can touch in what ever app you use to avoid that jelly look

fX8

• Houndeye
  • Skype- ffelix8888
    • View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »

The starting possition for the anims is bad, it's not supose to be the ref pose, also I'm sure there is a lot of parameters you can touch in what ever app you use to avoid that jelly look
Yes, animations start from ref pose. I'm new to all this animating stuff so I don't know what exactly i have to change to avoit jelly look. I'll try to fix all that later. This was made just to wremember how to make these anims. I haven't modded HL for months.

fX8

• Houndeye
  • Skype- ffelix8888
    • View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »

I've updated hgrunts. I'll leave them alone now. This is as far as i can get right now because i am new to moddin and all that stuff. Soon I'll start making animations for barney.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUDfNorQmNI

KevinLancaster

• Hooray! I'm a
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »

I've updated hgrunts. I'll leave them alone now. This is as far as i can get right now because i am new to moddin and all that stuff. Soon I'll start making animations for barney.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUDfNorQmNI

They're better, only problem is that they get jiggly right after you shoot them, in midair when the entire body should be falling.

fX8

• Houndeye
  • Skype- ffelix8888
    • View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 10:41:34 PM »

I had one idea about that juggly look. I checked it and seems like the problem is in model skeleton. So to fix it I need to make new skeletons and animations for all models. And I don't think anyone would do this madness....
I can still try to use another software but I don't know if I will import skeleton to it and then export the animation.... Still I'm not 100% sure.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »

The problem of using pre-recorded ragdoll for animations is that you get both the disadvantages of ragdoll, and of normal animations, whilst getting the advantage of neither.

Ragdolls never look completely realistic, but they can react to the environment. Standard animations can look much better, but they can't react to anything else in the environment. The way you are recording ragdoll animations gives you the unrealistic look that comes with ragdolls, but not giving the dynamic motion that you usually get either.

As a result, this style of animation will never look good in my opinion.

fX8

• Houndeye
  • Skype- ffelix8888
    • View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 07:11:31 PM »

The problem of using pre-recorded ragdoll for animations is that you get both the disadvantages of ragdoll, and of normal animations, whilst getting the advantage of neither.

Ragdolls never look completely realistic, but they can react to the environment. Standard animations can look much better, but they can't react to anything else in the environment. The way you are recording ragdoll animations gives you the unrealistic look that comes with ragdolls, but not giving the dynamic motion that you usually get either.

As a result, this style of animation will never look good in my opinion.
I noticed that. There is a way to make realistic motion, but I have a trouble with porting skeletons to that software. Someone told me that there is a way to code the game so bodies will collide with surface properly, but i'm not a coder. You all(almost) people here are advanced moddrs, but i am a beginner.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 09:50:46 PM »

Yes, it is possible to add proper ragdoll into Half-Life, but it is not easy. As far as i know, Half-Life: Enhanced is the only mod to have real ragdolls.

alcina

• Headcrab
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 07:07:17 AM »

Half-Life is great, but it is built on an old game engine. A decade is a long, long time in the gaming world, and GoldSrc is even older then that now. So trying to incorporate ragdoll physics into Half-Life or a mod built with Half-Life is going to be a lot more trouble then it's worth, and the result won't even be that great.

My suggestion would be to use another engine such as HL2's Source engine which already supports Ragdoll physics. Otherwise, just stick to the old fashioned way of animation, because ragdoll simulation, even if it's done perfectly just won't look good because as Matt pointed out the reason modern day games use ragdolls is because they react to the environment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4