HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sprite-making tutorial  (Read 4348 times)

[NL]Gordon Weedman

• I just ate a
  • Vortigaunt
  • YES. YES.
    • View Profile
Sprite-making tutorial
« on: December 29, 2009, 05:53:25 PM »

anyone know a good one? if not, can anyone make a small tutorial on how to make a picture into a sprite properly? ive tried myself many times but always ended up with no transparency or screwy colours D:

thanks in advance!

waqwarrior

• prettier than the average
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
Re: Sprite-making tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 06:05:06 PM »

If you want to have a sprite with transparency, you have to make it additive. This is easy in sprite explorer... You go to File>New Sprite and follow the wizard. When it asks you what kind of sprite you want, select additive. At first I would only edit existing sprites, but as you get to know the HUD.txt better and understand the terms, have fun with it and go crazy making your own custom sprites.

Additive = black is transparent, white is opaque...

Is the sprite you're doing an animation? If so, every frame must have the same palette or something like that might happen or it might not work at all....

or, could you mean pasting a premade image (like of a weapon) onto a background, like as in DD's sprites? My method was to crop to the right size, paste it in and fill in the gray areas manually... it's not a huge image, cuz it's a sprite, so it shouldn't take long.

-.-'

[NL]Gordon Weedman

• I just ate a
  • Vortigaunt
  • YES. YES.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 08:17:31 PM »

i followed it all exactly as you said, but i still get no transparency, or screwy colours :-\ and yes i tried additive :P

highvelocityraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 08:38:14 PM »

Is the area where you want it transparent black?
Here's a simple example of a sprite I got...actually I forgot, is transparent where everything is see through or the chroma keyed type?
Also, care to show us your to-be sprite? Maybe I could try it.

[File not found]

waqwarrior

• Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »

What exactly is the sprite you are trying to do?

[NL]Gordon Weedman

• I just ate a
  • Vortigaunt
  • YES. YES.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:08:33 PM »

well, im trying to make a sprite for sven's 9mmar scope :P a zoom sprite to be more precise, like the sniper.
the file is attached to this post :P also HVR, mind telling me where you got that LAW and UT Pulse gun? i liek it :)

[File not found]

highvelocityraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 02:14:57 PM »

The following attachments are what I tried from waq's advice. I forgot which one is additive or transparent but they all look the same. I also noticed there's a box surrounding it, probably because it wasn't meant to be a laserdot, I messed up, or I shouldn't've used a JPG.

OF: The LAW is from CSCZDS, which posting it would probably be considered illegal, despite me finding it on a website when I searched for a certain file name.
The pulse gun (gauss) was found here page 4 or 5 I think. I found that website on ruM's hand change thread and there's lots of useful junk there. I'd like to see the ASMD Shock Rifle to replace my gauss though.

Also spray patterns if you want. One is noscope and the other is scope. You want some sounds for the pulse gun gauss and gloun? I do not know if that is also illegal though.

[File not found]

waqwarrior

• Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »

there's a box surrounding it,

I shouldn't've used a JPG.

With sprites, such as smoke and laserdots (see here you can usually see the boxes up close. I notice it with the default deagle and rpg laser sight sprites. :P

afaik, there's no way to avoid the boxes around the laser dot sprites.

JPG is best for photos and scanned documents, as it uses this crazy compression format that makes later editing a difficulty.
GIF is best for animations, and nothing else: can have a max of 256 colors, so not good for photos, really :P
PNG is the best for... everything imo. I save nearly all the work I do in .png because the compression doesn't screw with the pixels, and it's easy to edit + low file size

^ just FYI :3
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:24:03 PM by waqwarrior »

Nige111

• Gonarch
  • Metal Gea.. I mean.. Shagohod?!
    • View Profile
    • Cake :D
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 04:57:46 PM »

The reason it's got a box around it is because it's probably not 0 0 0 black.