HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: whats the best linux deistro for source games  (Read 4575 times)

sheridanm962

• TOO COOL 4 THA INTARNETS
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
whats the best linux deistro for source games
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:21:09 AM »

yup im a linux user I can't figure out howto downlaod mslinux and I can't find a better one that can be distributed around the world for free I guess ubuntu is the only one I can trust I think thats because I've had it for at least a year now with no viruses... please help me to get a free shipping linux distro that runs source games better. the only reason im asking is because every time I play a source game I can't chnage the advanced video settings when I press apply it crashes :'(  ??? ??? ???

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
Re: whats the best linux deistro for source games
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »

Ubuntu is definitely the easiest to use from my experience, although I did find SUSE easy enough to use. I also quite liked Linux Mint. You can download most Linux distros yourself, so no need to pay for shipping costs.

You trying to run it in WINE or Cedega? I have had most success with Cedega for Source games.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:04:40 PM by Matt »

waqwarrior

• prettier than the average
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »

It might be crashing because the video card can't handle it. What settings are you changing?

Leeroy1337

• Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »

This also happens to me on Windows XP 32bit when I try to set my Fortress Forever advanced video settings to the lowest, it keeps them at the medium/high and i have always like 2 fps :(. Is there any solution for this problem?

Captain Scarlet

• MAOAM
  • Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
  • HeadcrabMAOAMScarlet
    • View Profile
    • Meh
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 07:09:53 PM »

Can't you use windows for gaming, I'm not a fan of running windows programs in linux and I'm not a fan of running linux programs in windows  (I have a crap pc it doesn't work well nowadays)

highvelocityraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 08:12:03 PM »

This also happens to me on Windows XP 32bit when I try to set my Fortress Forever advanced video settings to the lowest, it keeps them at the medium/high and i have always like 2 fps :(. Is there any solution for this problem?
There should be some configs about dxlevels in Half-Life 2 folder. Video cards are labeled as dxlevel 60, 70, 80, 90, 95. If you open up 60 (lowest level) there should be some settings that control the graphics (like mat_something, r_something, etc). Put them all in autoexec.cfg (or make your own) in the folder of your choice.
I had the same problem with my mom's computer ages ago. Upgrading worked, completely. However during the time I asked a few friends and they had no clue why I had the problem.

Leeroy1337

• Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:41:03 PM »

There should be some configs about dxlevels in Half-Life 2 folder. Video cards are labeled as dxlevel 60, 70, 80, 90, 95. If you open up 60 (lowest level) there should be some settings that control the graphics (like mat_something, r_something, etc). Put them all in autoexec.cfg (or make your own) in the folder of your choice.
I had the same problem with my mom's computer ages ago. Upgrading worked, completely. However during the time I asked a few friends and they had no clue why I had the problem.
Gonna try it when I'll want to install it again. I just couldn't play with 2 fps, it looked like i had been viewing a slideshow of screenshots :D.

waqwarrior

• Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:56:47 PM »

I thought hl2 only had a handful of files on dx6. I tried it on the old comp and couldn't get the game started.

sheridanm962

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 09:41:07 AM »

my xp cd is currupted and when I use xp I can't have the internet, sound and direct x is fucked :( I wish I had a new windows xp cd *sighs and cries*

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 09:49:52 AM »

If you own XP, can't you just download a disc image and use your real serial? Not sure on the legality of that, but since you own a license of XP, you should be able to download it in my opinion.

sheridanm962

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »

can you point me to a link or something?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 01:42:21 PM »

Probably not a good idea to post links. While you downloading it if you own a copy of it is a grey area, providing links to it is pretty much illegal.

waqwarrior

• Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 09:41:45 PM »

Search on utorrent.com. Thats as close as I can get you. Burn the disc image and hope it works. Good luck kid.