HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I've Experiments to Run, There is Research to be Done  (Read 6615 times)

Ambient.Impact

• Administrator
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
    • Ambient.Impact.Design
I've Experiments to Run, There is Research to be Done
« on: March 19, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »

[float=left][/float]Hey everyone. We've been up to no good again. Our [force-local-link]website[/force-local-link] is now spiffier than ever. While we don't have anything major to show you, we've been building up the site so that we can easily show off new media and info. For example, take a look at the [force-local-link]Half-Life[/force-local-link] project.

If anyone sees anything wonky with the site, post it here and I'll see if I can fix it. Make sure you include your browser and version. If it happens to be Internet Explorer 6, I've already done all that I can for that broken mess.

I've also been busy setting up a blog for my good friend Jonas. Anyone interested in the intricacies of narrative design in games should definitely check out Playthroughline. If you thought to yourself that it'd be the best thing since sliced cat if someone would do something like The Editing Room's scripts, but for games, he's done that too.

[float-clear]

When I decided to create something that resembled the Half-Life background art for the website, it was immediately obvious that it would be a multi-use sort of thing. Couple that with a menu theme that's been gathering dust on my hard drive for a while, and you've got a mini-release. We've replaced the dated green window scheme with a stylish slightly transparent grey. The theme and background are provided separately, and can be used with or without the other. To install, just point your ZIP program (such as WinZip, WinRAR, or 7-Zip) to your Half-Life directory (e.g. [code-inline]C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\<USER NAME>\half-life[/code-inline]), and make sure you preserve the folder hierarchy stored in the ZIP file, or you'll just be dumping the files in the wrong place.

Part 1: Download the launcher menu theme (without background).

Part 2: Download and install the background that's closest to your Half-Life display resolution.

[float=left]Menu Theme[/float][float=left]Fullscreen:
1024 x 768(4:3)
1280 x 960(4:3)
1280 x 1024(5:4)
1600 x 1200(4:3)
[/float][float=left]Widescreen:
1280 x 720(16:9) (720p)
1280 x 800(16:10)
1680 x 1050(16:10)
1920 x 1080(16:9) (1080p)
1920 x 1200(16:10)
[/float][float-clear][warning]Installing this background will cause some mods to display it instead of their own. It's not on purpose - honest! Download the fix and unzip it to the specific mod directory to force it to use its own background instead of ours. For instance, to fix Poke646, unzip to [code-inline][...]\Steam\SteamApps\<USER NAME>\half-life\poke646[/code-inline][/warning]
Source files
If you want to use this background for something, we've got a plain version, and a titled version available as JPEGs. To seriously mess around with it, we recommend you grab the full, layered Photoshop files (151 MB). Just remember to give us credit or we'll come after you with a sharp stick.

Enjoy!

Flowers Of Naivety

• DIE DIE DIE
  • Gonarch
  • kikikimamama
    • View Profile
Re: I've Experiments to Run, There is Research to be Done
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 11:27:03 PM »

Very nice background! Keep up the good work!

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 11:33:14 PM »

The image display is done the best it could be, thanks you for that

waqwarrior

• prettier than the average
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 11:39:12 PM »

:') W-w-w-w-WON! How I have missed your style! C'est beau! I love this, fantastic work, really brings on the nostalgia! Simply amazing :)

E: Is it possible to have an animated logo.avi?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:41:44 PM by waqwarrior »

Ambient.Impact

• Administrator
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
    • Ambient.Impact.Design
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:49:23 PM »

Is it possible to have an animated logo.avi?
As far as I can tell, it's just not possible. It's a pity.

waqwarrior

• prettier than the average
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 12:00:30 AM »

Sure is. One little bit of nostalgia we'll have to do without...at this rate, I don't see myself ever reverting back to WON! :)

Captain Scarlet

• MAOAM
  • Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
  • HeadcrabMAOAMScarlet
    • View Profile
    • Meh
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:01:57 AM »

I wondered why the homepage seemed a little different

Leeroy1337

• Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 08:12:13 AM »

I used the theme for DOD and it used the HL background and fixed it easily, and when I noticed it uses a loading background I made one from the DOD splash screen. The theme is nice BTW.

fX8

• Houndeye
  • Skype- ffelix8888
    • View Profile
    • My Webpage
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 06:25:48 PM »

Very nice. Looks similar to original BG just hi-res. But I won't switch to Steam version even after that.