Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My mod  (Read 2647 times)

Nova

• Snark
    • View Profile
My mod
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:58:23 AM »

So, Im new to making mods (actually I don't know anything about making mods, I only have minor skills in map making), and I wanted to ask, what programs you guys would recommend for me to use?

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
Re: My mod
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 02:03:14 PM »

Well it depand how far you want to modify the game (assuming it's half-life)
Your mapping skills might be enough, only if you want just new maps.

If you to change the look then you will need to model, you can use Milkshape to model, it's not free but it's best suited for a beginer. It will allow to change the way the monsters and weapons looks, also you will be able to add custom props to your maps. Use Half-life model viewer to ... well .. view model.

If you want to change or create texture for your maps you will have to use Wally

Now if you want to modify the game-play (the way the entities in the game act, the weapons, the monsters (not the way they look but the way they act)) then you will need to code. You will need the Half-life SDK, and the updated version of the code here and to modify the code you will need something like visual studio C++ (the express is free and will be more than enough) here

Also if it's for Source (ie Half-Life 2)  get the Source SDK on Steam

Nova

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 03:14:34 PM »

Thank you for your help. Now for my mod, I was actually thinking about making a S.T.A.L.K.E.R mod, maybe calling it "Half-Life: Shadow Of Chernobyl"
But instead of playing as Strelok you will take on another perspective, of an unknown character.

Barnz

• French Fries
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »

There's multiple Stalker-ish mods in the works for Source Engine, hope this helps.