HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I got a new computer and was thinking of replaying all of HL2  (Read 2005 times)

satokenta

• Snark
    • View Profile

As the topic says I wanted to play through HL2 but I know that its a bit dated. I was thinking of downloading some high rez addon packs when i stumbled upon the Cinematics Mod. Has anyone used this? is it worth getting?

The fact that it changes the music and character models (some look better some look horrendous (silly Germans)) kinda makes me on the fence weather to get this or not.

If Cinematics mod is not the thing I should get then can some one point me in the right direction for which mods I should get?

BTW: I am not looking for some one to make the "don't add addons, thats not how it was ment to be played" argument. Higher rez textures never hurt anything.

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
Re: So I got a new computer and was thinking of replaying all of HL2
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 04:42:02 PM »

Did you try it recently ? It was switched to the ep2 engine and it looks quite good
Also I don't think there is an HD pack for half-life 2, except for Cinematic Mod, maybe you can collect better model separatly (like at FPSBanana for instance)

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
Re: So I got a new computer and was thinking of replaying all of HL2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:19:51 PM »

One of my friends did his own pack of sorts - took FF's best textures, mostly just big terrain textures (IIRC, he used 30 of the thousands of textures replaced) and Vertthrasher's weapons retextures, which are generally considered far better than Fakefactory's "rescaled 4x, sharpened and grunged" "retextures".

Also, he added a few shaders, which are unnecessary due to the update to the Sauce 09 engine recently.

The update itself doesn't do much besides adding shaders such as phong, no super duper high definition models or whatever.

Personally, for when I play HL2, I check sites like FPSB + GarrysMod.org, mixing sounds + models I like together from a bunch of different packs. I usually use a mix of retail, improved retail and E3/leak content, mostly just fixes, tweaks and consistency stuff. (Like the pistol sound - retail player fire sound changed while the NPC did not, so different sounds.)

Here is one of the sets I use. FPSbanana is a good site, albeit a(i)ds infested (don't go there unless you have an ads fetish or adblock). I suggest using J.Barnes' stuff, it's generally simple but very good. Check out sounds + stuff too.