HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hit Effects  (Read 1820 times)

KevinLancaster

• Hooray! I'm a
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
Hit Effects
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »

Is there any way to change the "particles" that show up when you shoot at something it in HL1, or is it in the engine. Picture attached of what I mean.

[File not found]

Cryptosis

• Snark
    • View Profile
Re: Hit Effects
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:23:22 PM »

The particles that are left on the wall after shooting are decals that are contained in a .wad file named "decals", along with any, and all other decals. The decal file is inside one of Half-Life's main .GCF files called "Half-Life". To open it, you will need a to navigate to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps (or wherever you installed Steam), and a program such as GCFScape. I haven't done any graphical editing to Half-Life in a long time, but the decals are in a .bmp format so I would imagine they can be opened in any image editing program.

KevinLancaster

• Hooray! I'm a
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:07:31 AM »

I'm not talking about the bulletholes, I meant the little black balls that fly out. They also show up if you spawn a monster insde something, except yellow coloured.

DiamonD

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 12:21:55 AM »

I've been curious myself as to what that is. I'm gonna' guess it's hard coded crap though, but don't quote me on that.

Ambient.Impact

• Administrator
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
    • Ambient.Impact.Design
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 03:37:50 AM »

It's hard coded, but thankfully in the game code, not the engine. If I'm not mistaken, Sven Co-op, Natural Selection 1, and Spirit of Half-Life all have custom particle systems.