HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what happenededed  (Read 7976 times)

haz0r

• DONG-DUDE
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
what happenededed
« on: October 20, 2010, 01:56:08 AM »

I remember HIT was active as heck. It seems very quiet these days.  :(

waqwarrior

• prettier than the average
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
Re: what happenededed
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 02:41:18 AM »

I missed all the fun...

Кассир клерка

• Clerk of Cashiers
  • Gonarch
  • I can't believe in myself
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »

Modding is dead go fight a console about it

D3ads

• No one fucks with the
  • Gonarch
  • Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 04:09:37 PM »

You obviously aint heard of Cry Of Fear bro!

Shotgunguy

• HL:S Enhanced, Facepunch Edition
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:50:36 PM »

You best be trollin'

Modding is far from dead.

Кассир клерка

• Clerk of Cashiers
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »

You best be trollin'

Modding is far from dead.
Perhaps but the massive boon it got during the era of Half-Life and Counter-Strike is long gone hardly any games support mods and very few game companies support modders with the majority of them persecuting them either for messing with their 'vision', their love of lawyers and copyright laws or due to the 'pro gaming' scene having a massive collective whine when counter-strike modding was all the craze and dumb idiots claimed that people were getting an advantage over others which lead to increased security measures (sv_pure). Other devs decided to just get rid of modding entirely from their games so now you pretty much have to hack the bloody things to get anywhere with it.

It's so bloody apparent because it's nearly impossible now a days to find 3d artists yet less than a decade ago there was too many of the fuckers and no coders.

haz0r

• DONG-DUDE
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 01:09:43 PM »

While I do think the scene has diminished a little, I don't think next-gen gaming killed it off completely. It's just much more... underground.

Speaking of HL though; GoldSrc is pretty dated these days, but fuck, lets at least see some Source stuff on the forums?

D3ads

• No one fucks with the
  • Gonarch
  • Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 01:44:09 PM »

I think that Daza is right to a degree, there are a lot of games released that don't support modding, since games are mostly released multi-platform the PC versions end up being more ports from the console with no modding support. It's more of an indie craze these days, with UDK, unity and other freesource engines about, there isn't that much of an incentive for modding as there is for just creating your own game. There are still modding capabilities with newer engines, especially X-Ray and Cryengine 2 (3?), but the community is not thriving as much as it once did.

PS: Source editing is gay.

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 05:31:47 PM »

words I mostly agree with

IE, MW2, Blizzard, etc.

( Read an article about Blizzard a while ago that summed up to "yes, most of us started modding other games, no you can't hack ours." )

sv_pure servers mostly piss me off.

Sure, players can use custom content to cheat. There's tons of skins on FPSB that make stuff easy to identify from a distance. Red/blue T/CT skins, invisible models. Etc.

Sure. I could use them. And TOTALLY KILL THE ATMOSPHERE. :v

I've got a ton of custom models for mien CSS and I need to restart the game every time I hit a sv_Pure server.

Oh, and TF2 - custom scout model. Which is a real pain in the ass when I hit a server that makes custom models INVISIBLE. :v

haz0r

• DONG-DUDE
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »

IE, MW2, Blizzard, etc.

( Read an article about Blizzard a while ago that summed up to "yes, most of us started modding other games, no you can't hack ours." )

sv_pure servers mostly piss me off.

Sure, players can use custom content to cheat. There's tons of skins on FPSB that make stuff easy to identify from a distance. Red/blue T/CT skins, invisible models. Etc.

Sure. I could use them. And TOTALLY KILL THE ATMOSPHERE. :v

I've got a ton of custom models for mien CSS and I need to restart the game every time I hit a sv_Pure server.

Oh, and TF2 - custom scout model. Which is a real pain in the ass when I hit a server that makes custom models INVISIBLE. :v

so choose another server?  ???

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 03:30:33 PM »

I do but it usually takes a few mins to realize it's pure.

And I need to quit the game completely to unpure it. :v

Кассир клерка

• Clerk of Cashiers
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 03:59:39 PM »

I think that Daza is right to a degree, there are a lot of games released that don't support modding, since games are mostly released multi-platform the PC versions end up being more ports from the console with no modding support. It's more of an indie craze these days, with UDK, unity and other freesource engines about, there isn't that much of an incentive for modding as there is for just creating your own game. There are still modding capabilities with newer engines, especially X-Ray and Cryengine 2 (3?), but the community is not thriving as much as it once did.

PS: Source editing is gay.

Problem is working on your own game entails prior skills. I don't know about you guys but when I learned how to model and animate I didn't learn it from reading a book or doing some sort of course I learned it by starting small by messing with HL models.

Modding is a craddle and it's becoming much harder to mod and much harder to find games that support modding. I don't hate sv_pure I just hate that devs are more willing to take a short cut with it by making sv_pure just part of their game rather than an option.

Also the need to 'make' an sdk is a crock of shit. They worked on the game during the development process( atleast I fuckign hope they did) they would have used tools to develop on their engine. Making an SDK involves mostly cutting down features they deem 'unnecessary' for modders and to make documentation.

waqwarrior

• prettier than the average
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 10:21:05 PM »

Problem is working on your own game entails prior skills. I don't know about you guys but when I learned how to model and animate I didn't learn it from reading a book or doing some sort of course I learned it by starting small by messing with HL models.

Exactly how I've learned so far. The very first hack I did was hacking an F2000 onto a hgrunt, and without the kindness of a modding community, I would have never had my foot in the door.

Also the need to 'make' an sdk is a crock of shit. They worked on the game during the development process( atleast I fuckign hope they did) they would have used tools to develop on their engine. Making an SDK involves mostly cutting down features they deem 'unnecessary' for modders and to make documentation.

Finally, someone who understands. I guess in some ways it makes sense, all the programs they use were made by talented coders, right? Often, coders work very hard on what they do. They can very uptight with just releasing their stuff, I mean, would you want YOUR six-month's-effort water shader used in some shit mod that pretty much disgraces your work? In some aspects, it makes sense they wouldn't make an SDK, but... they're really hurting themselves.

I don't know why you'd really want to play on a console. It really limits what you can do. If you want to mod stuff on a console... good luck, that's a game of luck if you ask me. Sure, the nice thing about consoles, is, if one person gets this bug, more than likely all the others will get them. Makes it easier to isolate your problems.
However, PCs are basically the ultimate gaming system. You can completely (well, within a few boundaries) customize what's in your metal box. You can upgrade your graphics card. You can set the graphics how you want, if you don't want that HDR that gives you headaches, you have the freedom to control it.

They're really just hurting themselves.

Captain Scarlet

• MAOAM
  • Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
  • HeadcrabMAOAMScarlet
    • View Profile
    • Meh
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 09:33:07 AM »

Dunno about you but all my friends have consoles and have ditched their pc's saying its cheaper (Although I never knew buying 3 consoles was cheaper than buying a mid range pc).

In regards newer games I feel ripped off, certain games are making you pay for maps when you used to get things like that for free with updates.

Lt.JC

• Silencer
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Nostalgic-Games
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »

Well the only reason why games have no SDK today or don't support any modding at all is just because the industry has become greedy.
Mostly the publishers are.

Why let the community release 5000 maps and models of medium to great quality for free if you can do it yourself and put it all in a DLC or a patch the players have to pay for?

It's pretty obvious but they don't really care if "we know" because it works and that sucks. I mean think of it, Oblivion or whatever game startet the whole DLC garbage and everyone in the industry thought: "hey this is actually a quite discreet way to rip off the customers."

At least they could release an SDK or editor when games have been left behind a few years. For example Mass Effect, the community could do custom maps and add their own unique locations on the galaxy map, could be great.

But these times are over , now we have an gaming industry that kills modding to maximize their profit or they don't release the game for PC at all. They even thought about making the customers pay for a demo version, ridiculous.
Pages: [1] 2