HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: what happenededed  (Read 7977 times)

Flowers Of Naivety

• DIE DIE DIE
  • Gonarch
  • kikikimamama
    • View Profile
Re: what happenededed
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 04:36:28 AM »

Riiiight... Blizzard doesn't like modders... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9TeB4Zb_sw  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAvZlonNTDg&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Look at STALKER... It's got tons of mods for it and some are still being made. GSC has released alpha and beta versions of SoC and allow the porting of CS and CoP maps, models, etc.

I think something that is hurting the modding community is the fact that it's taking longer and longer to create media. Textures, maps, and models keep getting more complex and more detailed. Which takes much more time to create.

There will need to be a change in the way some of the developers handle modding though...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 04:39:38 AM by Flowers Of Naivety »

Lt.JC

• Silencer
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Nostalgic-Games
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 10:41:58 AM »

Ofcourse not all are killing modding but most of em. Take a look at MW2 just as an example I mean what the hell went wrong there not even dedicated server support? What a waste. Not that I play any of the COD or MoH games but knowing this is enough to be angry about it.

There maybe are a few exceptions like crysis, far cry 2, STALKER or Starcraft 2. But one thing they have all in common is that they are PC games and not shitty console conversions. (The second thing they have in common is that I don't play any of them but that is not relevant here  :P )

But the fact is that most games are mainly aimed at the console market and get later (and often) badly ported to the PC and then get either very basic or no modding support at all.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:43:33 AM by Lt.JC »

LaggedRabbit

• Free MAOAM in #svencoopcentral today
  • Alien Grunt
  • tricked on April 1 dammit
    • View Profile
    • Pure Wonnage
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 12:23:28 PM »

Well the only reason why games have no SDK today or don't support any modding at all is just because the industry has become greedy.
Mostly the publishers are.......
  ^Yup Lt.JC is 110% correct

Listen up kids, heres a gaming history lesson for you all
It's like its 1990 again :

Anyone remember their grandparents telling them about a game called Lemmings ?
great platform puzzle game for only $59 .. but if you wanted to add extra levels you'd have to buy:
"Oh No! More Lemmings" a bargain at $59, then
"Xmas Lemmings" at $59, then
"The Lemmings Chronicles" at $59, then
"Oh No! were being ripped off by Psygnosis again"  at $59
etc.. etc.. etc ... etc.. etc.. etc ... thats how all add-on levels were back in the old days

Then in 1993 came Doom and the WAD and it changed the world,
no publisher tried to sell levels or TC's after that, and they encouraged modding & mapping  ;D
But only for 17 years so it seems  :'(

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 08:44:26 PM »

Riiiight... Blizzard doesn't like modders... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9TeB4Zb_sw  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAvZlonNTDg&NR=1&feature=fvwp

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/08/starcraft-2-the-latest-game-to-control-user-created-content.ars

Have a field day.

SUuure, you can "Mod" Blizzard games, but if you want something big (IE, something the size of Sven Coop), you'll be b&'d.

Why?

""Because we can. Literally. We have a support department now of size and ability to enforce these types of things," Community Manager Bashiok said on the official forums. "It simply wasn't possible when our in-game support used to consist of approximately 20 technical support agents. We did, however, actually police Warcraft III maps to a small degree if they were reported. But it was a rather archaic process.""

Looks like modding is being killed off. Forcibly.

"By shutting down dedicated servers and not releasing any modding tools, Infinity Ward stopped modding dead in its tracks with Modern Warfare 2. Even if someone was able to create a map or a modification, there would be no way to play it online. That's the way publishers like it; Activision Blizzard recently announced that is has sold 20 million map packs for the various Call of Duty releases. Why allow users to create something just to give it away when there's so much money to be made?"

Bingo.

Captain Scarlet

• MAOAM
  • Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
  • HeadcrabMAOAMScarlet
    • View Profile
    • Meh
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 08:27:47 PM »

I must admit when I was about to buy the new AVP game and saw several add-on packs for 2 maps for £3 I thought wtf?  In the end thought I'm not going to buy it if I have to buy a map that I'll probably play once or twice, I don't mind buying add-ons if its a huge chunk extra story but not for a few maps espcially when developers of BF even put new maps in their updates to try and keep people playing their games.

Mafisha

• Still a
  • Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 07:59:09 PM »

Hmmm, sorry that I refresh like the guy before me, but who said modding isn't popular anymore?

I actually felt in love with it and I suffer greatly if I can't edit a game, at least slightly. Everything can be improved and even when it is, it still can be better [endless loop]. :P

I've got couple of things I'm working on, I might as well share them with You (NOT in this thread of course!)... Actually, not even on this forum but 'relative' (is it?) - Half Life Creations. ::)
New blood (of modders)?  ;D 8)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:04:47 PM by Mafisha »

FuNiOnZ

• Snark
  • AoW Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 08:54:24 PM »

My god its full of stars :o

Captain Scarlet

• MAOAM
  • Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
  • HeadcrabMAOAMScarlet
    • View Profile
    • Meh
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 07:28:09 PM »

Not sure if modding is popular the way things run these days are different, long are the days when people visited multiple message boards.
Now everyone just acts like sheep going to facebook or twitter

mathew!

• Dark sites mod team leader
  • DoC Development Team
  • Houndeye
    • View Profile
    • My blog place
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 11:54:36 PM »

If this is the way the world is going, then creactivity is dying and we shall all end up with games what don't dare varry from the mold.

Alot of good games started off as mods, examples being counter-strike, Team fortress.

I hold true faith for the spirit for modding in the community that somehow we will survive.. and we won't fade into the sands of time..

I my self have the spirit of a modder, i don't mean those who make mods what make a rpg fire so many rockets you cannot hold the fire button without the game crashing..

But the true vision of who have some beautyful concepts.

Best thing though guys, once a modder always a modder.. its just the platform and tools that their created with that varries.

Hopefuly like a few games in the past, some games what have failed to deliver on the promise of mod tools, will have the community stand up and build their own.

It has been a while since i have posted around here, but i felt as if i should put in my few pence.
Pages: 1 [2]