HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you use custom models and skins in HL2 mods?  (Read 2914 times)

williom

Can you use custom models and skins in HL2 mods?
« on: November 13, 2010, 05:31:35 AM »

Im working on a fairly extensive mod for the single player of HL2. Yes, I have a team, so dont say its a lot of work, I know. There has been some talk between some of my team as to whether or not you can use custom models and skins and such for content in it. I decided to post this here to finish off the debate once and for all so we can continue work.

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
Re: Can you use custom models and skins in HL2 mods?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 08:39:32 AM »

Im working on a fairly extensive mod for the single player of HL2. Yes, I have a team, so dont say its a lot of work, I know. There has been some talk between some of my team as to whether or not you can use custom models and skins and such for content in it. I decided to post this here to finish off the debate once and for all so we can continue work.
You guys kinda stupid aren't you ? Of course you can use custom model/skins in your mod, it's the whole point of a modification, now there is a slight chance you are talking about using custom content not made by you or one of your guys, like custom stuff from FPSBanana here the awnser is NO, unless the author says so, try to contact the author or look for a readme file that will tell you if can or not. Same thing for retail games contents, illegal by default unless the developpers say so, some game allow you to convert their content to other engine (STALKER games for example)

KevinLancaster

• Hooray! I'm a
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »

Sounds like a possible troll.

But yeah, what bloodsurfer basically said: don't use stuff without asking first, don't use stuff if it's retail, and if you made it, go crazy.

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 01:15:12 PM »

Sounds like a possible troll.
Meh may still be a case of stupidity

brahma

• Vortigaunt
  • I hate my city ¬¬
    • View Profile
    • HLSREDUX
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 09:46:50 AM »

Nahhh, sounds like a troll