HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A3D in Half-Life.  (Read 2205 times)

michaliskebab

• Snark
    • View Profile
A3D in Half-Life.
« on: December 04, 2010, 11:50:28 AM »

I've been wondering how Half-Life sounds when used with a Vortex2 and the A3D tick enabled. I found some demos and short gameplay videos (not HL) with A3D in action, and it sounds teriffic! I haven't been able to find examples of Half-Life. Are there any owners of such a Vortex cards, or can any one find a gameplay video for me?

Valken

• Snark
    • View Profile
Re: A3D in Half-Life.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:41:05 PM »

If you have an older sound card with A3D emulation or a classic Diamond Monster Sound MX200, and you install HL from the CD (not steam) with an older patch, you can have full A3D sound.

Honestly? A3D sounds rocked! But I think if you have a modern sound card that can do either hardware or software surround sound and tweak the surround settings, it sounds really close to A3D.

Creative bought out A3D and many people say EAX4 - 5 are basically A3D added to EAX.

Give it a try and see how it feels. Modern EAX (4-5) for games do sound pretty good too, espcially with headphones.

michaliskebab

• Snark
    • View Profile
Re: A3D in Half-Life.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:32:16 AM »

I already have a Sound Blaster device which is awesome in Doom 3 and other games supporting EAX. Half-Life uses the first EAX which isn't that impressive, though decent for an old game.