HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Converting CSS Models To Half Life Question  (Read 3413 times)

Bloodroke

• Snark
    • View Profile
Converting CSS Models To Half Life Question
« on: March 25, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »

My question is, after I decompile the CSS models, get everything fixed up to be used in GoldSource games and compile it, Studiomdl tells me that only 98% or around that number (depending on the model) of the texture has been used. When I check the model, the textures use a smaller dimension than what I had; For example, if I had a 512x512 texture, the texture in the model ends up being 508x508 or some odd number. Is there any way to fix this, and if so, how?

Also, is there some sort of way to divide a, say, 1024x1024 texture into 4 pieces, and do the same for the UV map so I can have basically the full texture in the model, but in 4 separate pieces? I am an extreme beginner at modelling, texturing, and whatnot, so pardon me if my questions sound extremely dumb.

*Edit* - I know that releasing converted Source to GoldSource models is illegal, but don't worry, I am only using them for my own personal use.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:43:54 PM by Bloodroke »

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
Re: Converting CSS Models To Half Life Question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »

Bout the first problem, I can't say I have it too but meh fon't bother me too much

About the second yes it can be done easely even with milkshape, you have to make new group for each sub UV, unweld all the vertexes (select them all then Ctrl+shift+w) then select the faces belonging to a sub UV then click the button Regroup under the group tab (don't have any group selected) once you have done that for every group, just reasign each group to it's new texture, repose the uvs with the uv editor (Ctrl+T) and you are done

Selecting faces ins't easy, use the By vertex option (under the Model tab) and remember, Shift+Left Click to select, Shift+Right Click to unselect

Bloodroke

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »

Bout the first problem, I can't say I have it too but meh fon't bother me too much

About the second yes it can be done easely even with milkshape, you have to make new group for each sub UV, unweld all the vertexes (select them all then Ctrl+shift+w) then select the faces belonging to a sub UV then click the button Regroup under the group tab (don't have any group selected) once you have done that for every group, just reasign each group to it's new texture, repose the uvs with the uv editor (Ctrl+T) and you are done

Selecting faces ins't easy, use the By vertex option (under the Model tab) and remember, Shift+Left Click to select, Shift+Right Click to unselect

Uh... If at all possible, could you explain all that as simple as possible? I am stupid in terms of Milkshape, and I do not know very much about the program at all. Could you give me an even more dumbed down version of that?

*Edit* - Could you please go through a step by step version of that describing exactly EVERYTHING I must do?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:50:45 PM by Bloodroke »

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:53:53 PM »

Sure so first import your model with the whole skeleton and shit, (renamed bones option uncked btw)

So using the select function (as shown in the picture) select the part of the sub texture, here I will remap the arms, so i selected them by faces

Once you are done selecting, switch to Group tab and hit the Regroup button (as shown on the picture), you should see a new group named Regroup01, rename it if you want it doesn't matter much

Now create a new material in the Materials tab (duh) by hitting the New button and select the new texture by clicking the top <none> button (it's a large one), now assing the texture to the new group by clicking the assign button, you must have the group selected, you can reselect it by double clicking it in the group tab

Now that you are done with that it's time to reUV the group, before you do that unweld the vertexes it can help, you will be able to select the vertexes independently from one other, now open the uv editor, it work the same way than the model editor, except that there is no shorcut and that it suck monkey balls

Move the faces around the UV editor, until it looks good

Once you are back in the main screen reselect your group and reweld you the vertexes by hitting Ctrl+W do that again with all the model part and you should be good

Didn't rewrite the whole key/ shortcut list read my previous post you lazy ass

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 02:41:52 AM »

*Edit* - I know that releasing converted Source to GoldSource models is illegal, but don't worry, I am only using them for my own personal use.

...nooo....

Releasing converted retail models is illegal. Porting custom content for CSS is perfectly legal, other than possibly some whiny elitist "OMG U CANT CHANGE MIE MODEL" texturer/modellers.