HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When I Delete You Maybe I'll Stop Feeling So Bad  (Read 10445 times)

Ambient.Impact

• Administrator
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
    • Ambient.Impact.Design
When I Delete You Maybe I'll Stop Feeling So Bad
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:40:57 AM »

The more astute among you may have noticed the complete lack of updates in recent months years time since dinosaurs roamed the earth with shotguns and zeppelins. Also, those even sharper will have taken note of our new adbot overlords on the forums. Holy [EXPLETIVE], they don't give up. Anywho, just wanted to say that I haven't succumbed to any sort of illness or gotten into an argument with a fast moving motor vehicle. My life in the past few years has been a mess and hasn't made it easy to work on what I love. Between that and trying to keep up with the freelance web development work I've been doing, I haven't had much mental energy to devote to HIT. The funny (or sad, take your pick) thing is that the will is still there. I'm always thinking of new ideas and concepts, taking reference photos with my phone of anything that looks at home in a decommissioned missile base, and more. And Half-Life still remains one of the few games that I can honestly say has changed the way I look at the games industry, and is still capable of making my imagination come to life after all these years. Maybe I'll be able to pull myself together in the new year. Only time will tell.

As for the massive amount of adbots: they need to go. I'll need a big shovel. I've started working (when I can) on porting the entire website to Drupal, including the forums. The good news is that it'll be better than it was before (faster, stronger...), but the bad news is that we'll need to start the forums from scratch, with new user accounts. I'll keep the old forums online for archive purposes, but they'll be locked down. It's the best I can do.

In the meanwhile, hang tight and watch this space. And remember to soar majestically like an eagle. Piloting a blimp.

Comrade Tiki

• Gonarch
  • Sweeter than success is vindication.
    • View Profile
Re: When I Delete You Maybe I'll Stop Feeling So Bad
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 10:16:47 AM »

^ Well, speak of the devil!!!

I'm always thinking of new ideas and concepts, taking reference photos with my phone of anything that looks at home in a decommissioned missile base, and more.
That's fantastic!!!

And I feel similarly. There's something about modern games that... isn't breaking any ground, despite how radical they may be compared to their contemporaries.

...but the bad news is that we'll need to start the forums from scratch, with new user accounts.
...Whoah. All the past posts, customization downloads, all that absent from what you'd plan anew?

If everything is erased, I guess that's like starting a new community. And new communities are hard to start without a lot of time and attention, the kinds of attention that your hectic life hasn't quiiite permitted. I hate to suggest something like this, but maybe coupling up with another, broader, forum would be good. Old HIT profited much by having lively user customizations in parallel to an ongoing improvement project, users able to easily bounce back and forth.

I've watched a rather new community develop, one which actually started from Team Fortress Classic and is now branching out. It seems strangely related to what you have here, though having nothing explicitly in common. As a thought-exercise, somehow combining the projects here with the stuff there... I don't know, I can't rule it out as a healthy concept.

Also, submarines are zeppelins of a denser atmosphere. Pretty cool huh.

Ambient.Impact

• Administrator
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
    • Ambient.Impact.Design
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:36:15 AM »

Ugh, that was fast. I showed its ass into the incinerator.

I'm not actually suggesting deleting the forums, but archiving the current ones and starting a new bunch. The old topics will still be online and viewable, but replies and new user account registration will be disabled. As for rebuilding the community, that's a good idea, and you're right, I definitely don't have the time to devote to such things on my own. Whatever happens, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:40:44 AM by Ambient.Impact »

Besli

• Mr. Database
  • Gonarch
  • Mr. Database! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 04:30:13 PM »

I think it would be a good idea to open a new Forum!
Most of the people / action moved to the HLC Forum these days.
Maybe it also would be a good idea to release some new media?
Because most people think that HL:E is dead, like HL:S:HD.  ;)
I'm surly will be a member in the new Forum!

hlfan

• Vortigaunt
  • For The Crowbar Powah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »

Hmm, what about "updating" the model depot, and at the same time, create a new forum?

If you guys create a new forum, I'll join quickly :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:39:58 PM by hlfan »

Greaser

• Sven Co-op Testing Team
  • Gonarch
  • I want to move to Sweden one day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:12:04 AM »

I honestly don't have any personal suggestions.
One thing is for sure though: However you decide to solve this situation, I'll always be here, silently watching all the happening around me.
If there's a necessity to create new forum in the future, I'm willing to start from scratch again. ;)

Editor321

• Gonarch
  • HOE NE Team
    • View Profile
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:20:12 PM »

If there is anything us nerds over at HLC can do to help, let us know!

Ambient.Impact

• Administrator
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
    • Ambient.Impact.Design
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 06:56:08 AM »

Thanks guys. It warms the dusty shrivelled meat pump that used to be my heart that someone still cares about HIT. We'll most definitely have figure out some sort of team up scenario with HLC, after the new site is done. I'd love to post more media, but at the moment everything's been on the back burner for a while (really back burner), so I don't really have much to show. Once the new site is up, I should be able to focus on doing a bit of model work, among other things.

Editor321

• Gonarch
  • HOE NE Team
    • View Profile
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 08:47:28 PM »

We know our roots. Let me know if there is anything I can do, I have a background in some web design. Feel free to hit me up on MSN or Skype anytime.

Flowers Of Naivety

• DIE DIE DIE
  • Gonarch
  • kikikimamama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 04:29:32 PM »

I'm never gonna give you up HIT!

A new forum would be nice. I haven't been around enough to notice the bots though. I just know it's been supa slow round dees parts.

Captain Scarlet

• MAOAM
  • Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
  • HeadcrabMAOAMScarlet
    • View Profile
    • Meh
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 08:23:26 PM »

Be careful not to kill off the forums, I did that myself on BuLLetPain (Although I did change the forums twice ikonboard to invisionboard then smf then e107)

Joebama

• Houndeye
  • Show them online!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »

Attachments seem to be borked along with avatars and smileys. :(

Ambient.Impact

• Administrator
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
    • Ambient.Impact.Design
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 04:24:39 AM »

I haven't changed anything, so I don't know what could be going on. Maybe Matt broke something with his freakishly huge ham fists.

goldsrcforever

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 10:59:45 PM »

Attachments seem to be borked along with avatars and smileys. :(
Yeah I noticed that too.

forssil

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 05:19:59 AM »