HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Denouncing piracy  (Read 1436 times)

Matador

• Headcrab
  • Don't mess with the Zombie!!
    • View Profile
Denouncing piracy
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »

All right, I'm one of those folks who still likes being on the legal side, that's why it pisses me off when I find "legal" sites that never take action against illegal moves.
MapFactory.com has been around for while, though most users do whatever the heck they want without control.
I mean, how come MF users are uploading retail games? Isn't MF supposed to be a legal website for uploading/downloading user-made maps?
As far as I know,Half-Life: Blue Shift is not user-made, and it's still a commercial game.
CLICK

>:(

Admin, feel free to edit the link, I just posted it for you to know what I mean.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
Re: Denouncing piracy
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 05:28:50 PM »

Didn't they make Blue Shift available for free to anyone who owns Half-Life? Or am I mistaken? Even if I am mistaken, there is not a lot we can do about another website hosting files. Try reporting it to the sites admins?

When we released Blue Shift: Unlocked we decided to make it extract the maps itself from the pak/gcf files to avoid the problem of redistributing them, just to avoid any legal problems.

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
Re: Denouncing piracy
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »

Didn't they make Blue Shift available for free to anyone who owns Half-Life? Or am I mistaken? Even if I am mistaken, there is not a lot we can do about another website hosting files. Try reporting it to the sites admins?
Think it was a one time promotion, you still have to pay for it on steam

When we released Blue Shift: Unlocked we decided to make it extract the maps itself from the pak/gcf files to avoid the problem of redistributing them, just to avoid any legal problems.
That was probably for the best