HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Overwatch (omg Red Alert 2 Mod)  (Read 30036 times)

Ackart

• HL:E Group
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Arena!
Overwatch (omg Red Alert 2 Mod)
« on: August 24, 2005, 03:36:25 AM »

I always thought to myself "Hey, a Half Life 2 RTS would stomp some major ass."

Well, at the time, I had no clue how to mod any RTS games. And by that, I mean RTS games that ~matter~.

But then, one day, Red Alert 2 launced itself at my face. With it, came the XCC Mixer, the Open Source SHP maker, and other fun shit.

Well damn, I can mod Red Alert 2.

It's Crowbar time.

Okay, seriously. Modding in RA2 is a pain in the royal ass.

For instance, this is how I added the Civil Protection unit to the game:

I took like, fifteen screenshots of the CP in HLMV.

I turned those screenshots into PCX files, giving them a pallete.

I loaded them into a SHP maker. Got to shift though errors, and finally get a product.

Got to edit three INI files.

Go to TEH INTARWEB and get some screenshots of CP units.

Make the build icons for the CPs.

Edit some strings.

Pray.

Load the game.

And BAM! Fuckups! :D

RA2 doesn't like JPEG artifacts. In fact, the only reasonable unit there is the one with the orange remaps. But I am very proud of that build icon. It makes me happy.

Okay, the fact of the matter is that it's Half Life 2. In an RTS. The very concept of this idea rocks socks.

I'll actually update again when I get something update worthy. Like, a vehicle.

beretta

• one shot one kill
  • Vortigaunt
  • if i die am taking you with me
    • View Profile
    • Half Life Gamers
Re: Overwatch (omg Red Alert 2 Mod)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 03:43:27 AM »

i had all ways wished someone would make HL2 into a RTS mod for red alert 2 good luck

Zavaro

• Portal User
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 03:57:59 AM »

Ah, I see RedFox (sorry, 'bagel') is modding Red Alert 2.

Well, then.. the Sun/Alert engine.. I used to mess around with some stuff.  Get the newest version of OpenSHP, 3.34?

You might need TibEd 1.6 from VandeSande productions.  It helps edit INI files and whatnot.
http://www.tibed.net/

You'll probably need Final Alert 2, which isn't too hard to learn, it's the mapping program.  It's made by Matze and Westwood.
http://wagnerma.de/downloads.php

Some of the other XCC tools also might be helpful.

As well as these sites

westwood.com (omg dilapidated community oh noes!)
deezire.net
cncgames.com
cncnz.com

And uh.. search around I guess.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.  And this mod will rock.

End Of Days

• 3D Modeller
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 05:49:57 AM »

I got into modding the RA series a long time ago. I made maps and did some .ini editing shit. Made some pretty badass units to from just editing the .ini files.

Anyway, a HL2 mod for RA2 sounds pretty cool. Although buildings will be tough as HL2 is an FPS. Well, good luck Bagel

your evil twin

• The Official Half-Life Guru
  • Gonarch
  • I eat Xen Crystals for breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Planet Half-Life
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 09:27:43 AM »

I loved editing the ini files, did it for both Red Alert, Tiberium Sun and Red Alert 2.

This is actually a rather clever idea, the technology stuff matches up well.  Remember the guns of the Chrono Legionaires?  Dark energy rifles!  Vaporising people just like the pulse rifle secondary fire balls.  I don't think it is possible to get a slow-moving projectile weapon to do the chrono effect, so you'll just have to settle for dark energy rifles rather than a proper pulse rifle secondary fire attack.

Heh, the Resistance could get the teleporting troops, because the Resistance has better control over teleportation.  But they wouldn't get the guns of the chrono legionaires. 

Ackart

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Arena!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 09:41:22 AM »

I loved editing the ini files, did it for both Red Alert, Tiberium Sun and Red Alert 2.

This is actually a rather clever idea, the technology stuff matches up well.  Remember the guns of the Chrono Legionaires?  Dark energy rifles!  Vaporising people just like the pulse rifle secondary fire balls.  I don't think it is possible to get a slow-moving projectile weapon to do the chrono effect, so you'll just have to settle for dark energy rifles rather than a proper pulse rifle secondary fire attack.

Heh, the Resistance could get the teleporting troops, because the Resistance has better control over teleportation.  But they wouldn't get the guns of the chrono legionaires. 

The Resistance get teleportation, at the cost of a normal superweapon. But that's no big deal.. =3

And TibEd makes children cry at night. It's better to do it manually.

I'll post the list of Rebel units when I finish it.

baracuda

• Stole Marios Hat
  • Vortigaunt
  • living the life in a trash can
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 09:51:58 AM »

cood be cool for c&c: generals

Ackart

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Arena!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 10:28:23 AM »

cood be cool for c&c: generals

Sorry, but I like modding games that, oh, I don't know, suck? Generals was a classic example of an EA Game: A giant ball of fad with some ripoff to make it sell. The game sucks. End of line.

And like I promised: REBEL UNITS.

Prices subject to change.

Civilian
Cost: 70
Weapon: CP Pistol
Weapon when Elite: SMG

Your run of the mill civilian that joined the rebel ranks to set things right. Being as such, they don’t cost much to train and equip, but their quality of armor isn’t as good as the Civil Protection Vests.

Marine
Cost: 250
Weapon: M-8
Weapon When Elite: SAW

Surviving soldiers from the Seven Hour War, and those trained under them. Using Pre-Combine tech, the Marines might seem inferior to the Combine Soldiers. This is not true. Thanks to the PCV (Powered Combat Vest) that each soldier is equipped with, they are able to take slightly more damage than the soldiers, as well as shoot farther with the M-8 MBR. However, once they reach Elite status, they lose this range bonus in favor of a larger caliber gun, thus gaining a higher attack rate.

Houndeye
Cost: 150
Weapon: Bite
Secondary Weapon: Shockwave

Houndeyes are small, dog like aliens brought over during the portal storms. Thanks to their fierce loyalty, and possible ESP, Houndeyes are fiercely loyal to their owners, and will attack any intruders on their territory. Plus, their sonic blast can be used to damage flesh and metal easily, allowing a rebel commander to “soften up” Combine defenses before a main attack. Sadly, Houndeyes lack any sort of natural armor, making them easy targets for anything with a gun.

Vortigaunts
Cost: 400
Weapon: Electric Blast

Vortigaunts were used mainly as alien slaves under the Ninilath’s rule of Xen. When freed involuntarily by Gordon Freeman, the Vortigaunts chose to band together with the human rebels instead of being enslaved yet again by the Combine. The Vortigaunts are able to channel energy through the binders that were once used to enslave them, emitting strong burst of electricity that can fry flesh and vehicles alike.

Engineers
Cost: 500
Weapon: Desert Eagle (.357)
Secondary: Building capture

Another group of Marines, trained in advanced entry. Engineers can take over any building, but at the cost of the engineer. For protection, the Engineers carry a Desert Eagle, outdated by today’s standards, but it works in a pinch. Sadly, thanks to the tank of compressed gas they carry on their back, they can’t take much damage before dying. Engineers ‘splode good.

Medic
Cost: 400
Weapon: Desert Eagle (.357)
Secondary: Heal

Identical to the Engineer, except they heal people and they don’t explode.

Special Ops
Cost: 700
Weapon: MP5
Secondary: Satchel Charge

When something needed to go away in a blast of heavy explosives, the Special Ops were called in. While it’s been a while since they’ve seen any real action other than blowing up Combine Supply Trains, these Spec Op soldiers still have their edge. One major problem is they don’t share PCV training with the Marines, thus making them more vulnerable to gunfire.

Gordon Freeman
Cost: 2500
Weapon: Classified
Secondary: Classified

Warning: Encryption Level Red-41. You are not authorized to view this file. If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact your System Administrator.

--Rebel Vehicles--

Mineral Harvester
Cost: 1000

A large, modified dump truck with a device on the front (“Mostly Combine”) that sorts through dirt and picks up only valuable metals. The truck can hold more valuable metals than it’s Combine counterpart, but at the cost of speed and armor.

Assault Buggy
Cost: 300
Weapon: Modified Gauss Cannon

The Assault Buggy was first used by Dr Eli Vance as a safe method of travel through the costal regions of City 17, an area infested with Ant Lions. Resistance Technicians have taken the original model, and enhanced it, covering the driver compartment with something that might actually stop bullets, at the cost of the buggy’s quick burst of speed.

M3A3 Bradley Fighting Vehicle Systems
Cost: 500
Weapon: M242 25mm "Bushmaster" Chain Gun

The M3A3 was used mainly in the Seven Hour War for transporting civilians to safety and getting soldiers to the front lines. This APC has been left to face the elements for many years, finally commandeered by the Rebels in their struggle against the Combine. While the armor is still mostly intact, the APC still shouldn’t go running off in search of some Striders, as the main weapon will do nothing considerable against vehicles or buildings.

M1A1 Main Battle Tank (Abrams)
Cost: 1600
Weapon: Main cannon
Secondary: Hunter Cannon

Once a proud icon of a First World country’s war machine, the M1A1 is a formidable tank. A varied unit, the M1A1 can use it’s main cannon to crush vehicles and buildings, and it’s Hunter Cannon against Infantry and Air, allowing for battlefield superiority late in the game. The major drawback to this tank is it’s weak armor, where rust and spare parts have finally got to it. Still, any Combine commander that sees these massive tanks rolling up to their base had better have a good defense in place.

RBS (Robotic Delivery System)
Weapon: Nuclear Device

The RBS come from the work of Dr. Eli Vance at his Black Mesa East lab, needing some way to get through hazardous areas. The RBS shares the same body as the Combine Delvery Vehicle, with one major difference: Inside rests a nuclear payload, powerful enough to rip though any Combine base and want seconds. Using parts from the Combine and former nuclear powers, Dr. Vance has tweaked the nuke to have a small yield, and with minimal radiation. It’s slow speed, however, combined with it’s weak armor, is a slight relief to any Combine commander.

baracuda

• Stole Marios Hat
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 10:37:32 AM »

are you gonna add combine walls for the combine?

Ackart

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Arena!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 10:44:41 AM »

are you gonna add combine walls for the combine?

Of course not! What are you thinking? Why, they get Nod walls!

::)

baracuda

• Stole Marios Hat
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 11:22:23 AM »

Of course not! What are you thinking? Why, they get Nod walls!

::)

Nod walls? im sorry im not quite sure what it is....

any other info on the combine units?

Romka™

• I am
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 11:40:58 AM »

Nod walls?
Don't you know the nod walls from C&C Tiberian Sun? "The Nod brotherhood" NOD, the red campaign in C&C1 and C&C3

baracuda

• Stole Marios Hat
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 11:43:49 AM »

Don't you know the nod walls from C&C Tiberian Sun? "The Nod brotherhood" NOD, the red campaign in C&C1 and C&C3

oh yeah i remember now

Ackart

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Arena!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 11:53:49 AM »

Tiberian Sun is C&C 2.

Tiberian Twilight would be C&C 3, but EA will never make it because lol.

Romka™

• I am
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 12:06:19 PM »

Tiberian Sun is C&C 2.

Tiberian Twilight would be C&C 3, but EA will never make it because lol.
I thought it was this way:

C&C1 = Tiberian Dawn
C&C2 = Red Alert
C&C3 = Tiberian Sun
C&C4 = Red Alert 2
C&C(5) = Renegade
C&C(6) = Generals

Hmm :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7