HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Modding For Beginners  (Read 19922 times)

Sgt Wilko

• Alien Grunt
  • HL:S:HD Member
    • View Profile
Re: Modding For Beginners
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2006, 10:26:27 AM »

I don't intend to release anything; I'm just messing around with some features, so I wouldn't you to release your work for no reason at all.

However, what would be helpful, instead of giving us the working qc file, would be to actually tell us what necessary changes you had to make to the qc file after decompiling it, so we can learn what needs to be done to make the model work after decompiling it rather than having all the work done for us.

Marphy, I always suggest not using the decompiled QC file and layout. It seems to change aot of lines and does not understand the Submodels and controllers. For HLS, I stick to the standard Hl1 qc layout. Some of the animation details are changed in the Source version. To see what is different, you can extract the .mdl file from the source GCF (using GCFscape or whatever you want) and open it in notepad. Scroll down and you will see the animation names and the "ACT_whatever 1" for each one.

The Decompiler QC layout for Hl2 models seems to work, as I've decompiled and recompiled a few Hl2 models on it.

tuomass

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2006, 12:33:15 PM »

Ok, so why don't my reskins work in HL:S? :D
I use VTF Tool to convert the vtf's to tga and back. Everytime i try to modify, like say, headcrab_sheet.vtf, it shows in the game as pink and black stripes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 12:57:44 PM by tuomass »

Sgt Wilko

• Alien Grunt
  • HL:S:HD Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2006, 04:47:12 PM »

You need to edit the .vmts of your textures. When they are created with your .vtfs with that tool, it is just a blank file - you best open an existing .vmt to see whats wrong.

tuomass

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2006, 05:24:19 PM »

thanks, got it to work and made my first headcrab reskin (*cough* crappy *cough*).
thanksalot anyway. :)

Oh and another question, which files in HL:S are the HeadsUpDisplay-ones? I mean those healthbars and stuff.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:45:31 PM by tuomass »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]