Author Topic: Bloom  (Read 11842 times)

DKR1138

• King Kong
  • Houndeye
  • Running on Steam
    • View Profile
Bloom
« on: October 13, 2005, 01:09:42 PM »

Much like the R8HDR mod for Half-life 2, maybe it could be an idea to accomodate a mock HDR (bloom) mod to the HLSHD pack

Ive been looking everywhere to see if it has actually been done before, but it looks as though it hasn't. I just think with all the lights and effects through Half-Life 1, blooming effects would just bring the Original half-life forward visually, and probably would make Surface Tension look hella better as well.

Also if someone knows of a mod that actually has done this, that would be orsm if you could let me know of it.  :D

Anyways just a though, I just think blooming effects on everything in HL1 would look sweet.

flynia

• HLS-HD Team Member
  • Gonarch
  • EliTe HeAdCrAb!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Bloom
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:13:05 PM »

I think that the latest updates in Steam have started to add HDR effects to the Source Engine already. I think I have noticed MINOR enhancements to some of the lighting effects in certain levels... either that or im going bonkers  :o

Now im not sure if this includes HL Source at all... but it is definatly something worth investigating.

Cheers flynia
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 01:24:19 PM by flynia »

DKR1138

• King Kong
  • Houndeye
  • Running on Steam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 01:50:33 PM »

No this update is just enabling it on Source products, any HDR, or Blooming effects have to be implemented. While I think HDR would be a good implementation to Half-Life 1 that would require a whole game revision of the light im pretty sure... Blooming on the other hand isn't as complicated (get your hands on the R8HDR pack and just have a look). So a modified version of the R8HDR pack, or alternatively looking into the implementation of the Source Bloom might be something to look at...

The only thing you may have noticed with Surface Tension is the HL2 sky, which just has the HL2 sky with the sun... but no blooming effects...

Heres a Shot I took in HL2 using the R8HDR modification. Play HL2 now with HDR feature enabled, and I bet it looks no were near as good. This is because atm I believe they have only implemented HDR in a small few sections, quite possibly not at all yet. either way.

(image shrunk for forum purposes)

flynia

• HLS-HD Team Member
  • Gonarch
  • EliTe HeAdCrAb!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 02:02:54 PM »

I wasn't too keen on the R8HDR mod because it made the heads of my combine soldiers have "white boxes" around their heads... I'll probably just wait for Valve to fully release HDR for the Source Engine.

Isn't their a command in the Source Engine that enables bloom???

mat_bloom 1

Not sure.

Cheers flynia

DKR1138

• King Kong
  • Houndeye
  • Running on Steam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 02:09:45 PM »

the White face thing is when you enable the "mat_" HDR command. as for the Bloom, it doesn't work for HL:S because its not coded to work for it...

under the command interface you have the

"Mat_" Bloom 1 command to activate its blooming feature and

"Mat_" Bloomlvl to control the amount of bloom. (which to add, does not appear in the HL:S console)

Its hard for me to tell how the complete thing works because im no programmer, and I don't pretend to be... but im sure it wouldn't be too hard to modify for HL:S implementation. Too tell you the truth im shocked noone has attempted it before, but I guess most of the modifcations are based on the better graphics games these days and not the classics.  :-\

btw heres a link to the R8HDR mod for those who don't know about it http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_R8_HDR_Bloom_MiniMod;38224

Edit: Well I tryed to open R8HDR mod just then, but its stuffed from the current Steam update unforunately...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 04:05:50 PM by DKR1138 »

flynia

• HLS-HD Team Member
  • Gonarch
  • EliTe HeAdCrAb!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 03:51:46 AM »

Could we get in contact with the author of the mod maybe and ask if he can tailor the work to HL: Source

Seeing as its for the Source Engine already surely it wouldn't be too hard... right ???

Cheers flynia

the White face thing is when you enable the "mat_" HDR command. as for the Bloom, it doesn't work for HL:S because its not coded to work for it...

under the command interface you have the

"Mat_" Bloom 1 command to activate its blooming feature and

"Mat_" Bloomlvl to control the amount of bloom. (which to add, does not appear in the HL:S console)

Its hard for me to tell how the complete thing works because im no programmer, and I don't pretend to be... but im sure it wouldn't be too hard to modify for HL:S implementation. Too tell you the truth im shocked noone has attempted it before, but I guess most of the modifcations are based on the better graphics games these days and not the classics.  :-\

btw heres a link to the R8HDR mod for those who don't know about it http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_R8_HDR_Bloom_MiniMod;38224

Edit: Well I tryed to open R8HDR mod just then, but its stuffed from the current Steam update unforunately...

DKR1138

• King Kong
  • Houndeye
  • Running on Steam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 03:54:48 AM »

I will do, Ill get back to the forums when I get a responce. Hopefully they can do it without much effort. Or they just blatently refuse, which wouldn't make me surprised, but ill see.  :)

flynia

• HLS-HD Team Member
  • Gonarch
  • EliTe HeAdCrAb!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 04:12:05 AM »

Thanks man

I'm sure the team appreciates the effort you are going to with this :)

Cheers flynia

DKR1138

• King Kong
  • Houndeye
  • Running on Steam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 07:49:54 AM »

For sure, im a member over at the BM:S forums as well, and as much as im loving there progress I still want to see this Mod happen, because this afterall is the original HL, BM:S is full overhaul, which will be really good, but still won't be the original HL.

;D

Edit: Email sent.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 08:02:09 AM by DKR1138 »

Frraksurred

• Team HL:S:HD
  • Gonarch
  • ~ More Hi-Deffier ~
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Ambassadors
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 01:03:23 PM »

For sure, im a member over at the BM:S forums as well, and as much as im loving there progress I still want to see this Mod happen, because this afterall is the original HL, BM:S is full overhaul, which will be really good, but still won't be the original HL.

Indeed.  I have been registered on the BM:S forums far longer then I have been involved with this project.  I don't post there much anymore because I have been a bit busy.  ;D  I'm looking forward to that mod with great expectation, but it has not quenced my excitment to see our project come to fruition.

Btw, thanks for your input and assisitance.

Anakite

• Alien Grunt
  • World-Class Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 01:30:50 AM »

BM: S is, in my opinion, a long way off... They really shouldn't bother with this, when they could, by the time they release their mod, probably implement full HDR.

DKR1138

• King Kong
  • Houndeye
  • Running on Steam
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 05:54:24 AM »

BM: S is, in my opinion, a long way off... They really shouldn't bother with this, when they could, by the time they release their mod, probably implement full HDR.

It might be because I just woke up but this didn't make sense to me, at all in consideration to the topic at hand.  ???

Anakite

• Alien Grunt
  • World-Class Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 07:12:01 PM »

This would, however, be a really cool addition to Source. Good idea.

DKR1138

• King Kong
  • Houndeye
  • Running on Steam
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 01:40:31 PM »

OK so I haven't received a reply from R8 at all, but ive done some searches and found this Tron2.0 filter which can be coded into Half-Life pretty simply apparently..

http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?doc=1081854378-22165000&page=1

Comparison Shots.

flynia

• HLS-HD Team Member
  • Gonarch
  • EliTe HeAdCrAb!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 01:42:44 PM »

Niiiccceee!!!

Some of the blooms are little bit excessive but i guess you can tweak them down a bit.

Screenshots are also never the best as they are just static images rather than live action.

Is this workable with HL Source or is it just the original Half Life?

Cheers flynia
Pages: [1] 2 3