Author Topic: Bloom  (Read 11826 times)

DKR1138

• King Kong
  • Houndeye
  • Running on Steam
    • View Profile
Re: Bloom
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 01:47:11 PM »

Im guessing Source because they talk about DirectX support which as far as I know doesn't come in the HL1 Engine... anyways im looking into it more, hopefully theres a coder somewere that can check it out.  :)

Disregard, it has been done for OpenGL, so im not sure if it is Source. pitty, Hopefully it does work in both situations though.  :(
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 01:49:23 PM by DKR1138 »

flynia

• HLS-HD Team Member
  • Gonarch
  • EliTe HeAdCrAb!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 01:52:27 PM »

We should see what the team think first before running out and doing this.

So team watcha think of this??? Worth looking into???

IMO - I think we should wait until after the Lost Coast is released as Valve haven't really made it too clear on if limited HDR will be in HL Source at all. From what i can gather they are adding bloom to the "Source" engine... but haven't said anything about what will be affected by its addition and the last thing we want to do is something that they are going to release in the next week or two... ohhh maybe i should translate into valve time ;)... year or two ;)

To further support this their is also the option to enable HDR in HL Source but as yet it appears non functional.

EDIT:- Bugger :( That rules out the source engine as its Direct3D based :(
EDIT:- Thanks for taking the time to look into it DKR1138 :)

Cheers flynia
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 01:58:02 PM by flynia »

DKR1138

• King Kong
  • Houndeye
  • Running on Steam
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 01:57:59 PM »

The HDR support is in any game that utilises the source engine - I really doubt Valve themselves will add HDR, or even add Bloom effects to Half-Life: Source, yet alone completely to Half-Life 2...

Its an idea to wait, but I really don't like the chances of it happening, hense my requesting.

VectorW8

• Local Fuckface
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 05:24:09 PM »

But then again, bloom can bog down a PC, like it did for my friends. Think about the people with the shitty PCs too. They wanna experience the wholesumness of the HL S HD Project.

Anakite

• Alien Grunt
  • World-Class Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 08:51:09 PM »

Personally, I like the ability to use bogged-down resources if I need to, but I'd really like to have some cool features like bloom; you shouldn't let low system-specs keep the pack down. You COULD make it an option.

VectorW8

• Local Fuckface
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 09:23:26 PM »

That's what I meant, as an option, if possible.

Frostbite

• Today I've molested a...
  • Gonarch
  • Can't shake this feeling.
    • View Profile
    • Frostbite
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 02:15:11 AM »

HDR is a engine wide update not just for some games though you'll have to add the enitity (forgot its name its in the fgd right now ctrl+f type in HDR and you'll find it)
anyways when it comes out use ented =p

flynia

• HLS-HD Team Member
  • Gonarch
  • EliTe HeAdCrAb!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 02:23:25 AM »

Well in that case I guess we will wait and see what Valve have in store for us.

As i mentioned before once Valve make the updates we can see where we want to go from their as its pointless creating extra work for something we arn't sure about them releasing.

Cheers flynia
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 02:25:22 AM by flynia »

halflifedave

• Converter
  • Gonarch
  • Greed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 02:31:11 AM »

Well in that case I guess we will wait and see what Valve have in store for us.

As i mentioned before once Valve make the updates we can see where we want to go from their as its pointless creating extra work for something we arn't sure about them releasing.

Cheers flynia
I wouldn't trust them, Valve just seems like complete slackasses to me when it comes to Half life Source. I suppose that we could wait until they release the HLSDM since it will include HDR at least for it, but it fails to seem like that's a top priority for them if you ask me  :-\

flynia

• HLS-HD Team Member
  • Gonarch
  • EliTe HeAdCrAb!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2005, 02:45:01 AM »

Agreed

I'm still waiting on a fix for the "stuck in floors" bug for Half Life :(

I'm hoping that valve will include HDR Bloom engine wide for all source games... if thats the case it may automatically get added to HL Source as part of that engine update. I don't think they will do much more to HL Source as they don't seem to worry about it at all. I've contacted DougV (Suport Leader) over at the Steam Forums to clarify the HDR options and await his response on the questions of if HDR Bloom will be enabled in HL Source.

Hope that helps peeple.

Cheers flynia

I wouldn't trust them, Valve just seems like complete slackasses to me when it comes to Half life Source. I suppose that we could wait until they release the HLSDM since it will include HDR at least for it, but it fails to seem like that's a top priority for them if you ask me :-\

Frostbite

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • Frostbite
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 02:51:11 AM »

Agreed

I'm still waiting on a fix for the "stuck in floors" bug for Half Life :(

I'm hoping that valve will include HDR Bloom engine wide for all source games... if thats the case it may automatically get added to HL Source as part of that engine update. I don't think they will do much more to HL Source as they don't seem to worry about it at all. I've contacted DougV (Suport Leader) over at the Steam Forums to clarify the HDR options and await his response on the questions of if HDR Bloom will be enabled in HL Source.

Hope that helps peeple.

Cheers flynia

if not just use ented to add the enityy in when i last looked at it it uses inputs or outputs to control hdr (ent_fire =p)

flynia

• HLS-HD Team Member
  • Gonarch
  • EliTe HeAdCrAb!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 02:55:34 AM »

Could you post the "exact" command as it is typed into the console so that I can check it out... thats if its avaliable of course.

Cheers flynia

Frostbite

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • Frostbite
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 03:02:45 AM »

Code: [Select]
@PointClass base(Targetname) = env_tonemap_controller :
"An entity that controls the HDR tonemapping for the player. Think of it as a method of controlling the exposure of the player's eyes."
[
// Inputs
input SetTonemapScale(void) : "Set the player's tonemap scale. It should be a value between 0 and 2, where 0 is the eyes fully closed, 1 is use the unchanged autoexposure (default), and 2 is the eye fully wide open."
input BlendTonemapScale(string) : "Blend from the player's current tonemap scale to a new one. The parameter syntax is as follows: <target tonemap scale> <blend duration>. For example: '0.5 10' would blend from the current tonemap scale to 0.5 over a period of 10 seconds. Tonemap scale is a value between 0 and 2, where 0 is the eyes fully closed, 1 is use the unchanged autoexposure (default), and 2 is the eye fully wide open."
]
So basicly
The input Settonemapscale is the amount of brightness the light enititys will give off 0 meaning dull 1 meaning basicly normal and 2 being really bright
of couse this enitity isn't used yet only in dod source but when lost coast comes out and hdr is in the sdk it the source engine should be updated to use this enitity

flynia

• HLS-HD Team Member
  • Gonarch
  • EliTe HeAdCrAb!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 03:20:28 AM »

Excellent... Thanks Frosty! We maybe able to release a custom autoexec.cfg for the mod with bloom options enabled :)

This would make it easier for people to experience the bloom effects. Let me know if im wrong though ok as i dont wanna bring false hope.

This is all theories people ok... nothing is certain.

Cheers flynia

Frostbite

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • Frostbite
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2005, 03:24:25 AM »

Well since the enitity cant isn't automaticly added to everymap we could add it to everymap and add binds to change the HDR/Bloom settings through Ent_fire =p
heh good thinking =)
Pages: 1 [2] 3