HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HLDM:S Update  (Read 6220 times)

Sgt Wilko

• Alien Grunt
  • HL:S:HD Member
    • View Profile
Re: HLDM:S Update
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 09:15:53 PM »

Ever heard of Parabot for HL1?  It's really hard to come by with nowadays and it's a cancelled project, but the end result is a bot that learns levels and tactics so no waypointing is required.

Same for Realbot for Counter-Strike 1.6 I Believe.

Frraksurred

• Team HL:S:HD
  • Gonarch
  • ~ More Hi-Deffier ~
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Ambassadors
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 10:46:06 PM »

I know it's not going to happen, but I wish they would disable the Gauss in multiplayer =/ It's so infuriating with idiots gauss-jumping around everywhere, madly shooting everything they see and gaining easy kills over and over and over and over and over and over again....

I can relate with how you feel.  I remember getting sick of playing the game after so many had mastered the tau.  However, in their defense, it is not an easy skill to master.  I was so-so with one, but would regularly get my rear end handed to me by some one more skilled with it. 

Of course these were my early days when I was still playing with a joystick / mouse combo. 

Android

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 11:09:04 PM »

I know it's not going to happen, but I wish they would disable the Gauss in multiplayer =/ It's so infuriating with idiots gauss-jumping around everywhere, madly shooting everything they see and gaining easy kills over and over and over and over and over and over again....

z0mfg thats what pisses me off the most man, I swear..... I always come across those people, thinking they're so god-damn l337 cause they never miss with the guass, and always jumping 24/7 never standing still, a pain in the ass...

Of course these were my early days when I was still playing with a joystick / mouse combo. 

my god how do you play with a joystick?

Aydin

• The full metal alchemist
  • DoC Development Team
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 12:36:06 AM »

exploding crossbow and the satchel where my favourite in Dm. there are bots floating around, I remember one called jumbots or something

Frraksurred

• Gonarch
  • ~ More Hi-Deffier ~
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Ambassadors
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 12:47:18 AM »

my god how do you play with a joystick?

It basically replaced the keyboard.  I still used a mouse.

The thing is I'm left handed and started off my gaming career with flight simulators.  The usual "wsad" didn't work for me and I was already used to a stick.  To wit, the stick I used had 14 programable buttons all within easy reach.  While circle strafing was more difficult with it, weapon combos and jumping combos (like with the tau) were much easier with it.  You never lost your place like you can do in the heat of a fire fight on a keyboard.  I could switch weapons faster then any of my fellow keyboarders because my finger or thumb was always resting on the hat switch or button I needed.  It definately had it's advantages... and disadvantages.  Movement was a disadvantage and having to have joystick support running in the background eating up precious FPS was also a disadvantage.  I finally just took the plunge and went straight KB and mouse.

Regardless, it always got me noticed at the LAN parties.  

--

exploding crossbow and the satchel where my favourite in Dm. there are bots floating around, I remember one called jumbots or something

Yeah, I used to use them.  However there are currently none for the Source engine outside of the CS:S bots.  The only project I know of that was creating bots for Source has fizzled out (RCBot).

Aydin

• The full metal alchemist
  • DoC Development Team
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 01:49:41 AM »

I wonder if there are bots for hl2:dm because if i join a sever it gets a bit laggy

Frraksurred

• Gonarch
  • ~ More Hi-Deffier ~
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Ambassadors
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 03:26:47 AM »

I wonder if there are bots for hl2:dm because if i join a sever it gets a bit laggy

No bots for HL2 DM yet.  The creator of the RCBot (Cheeseh) began work on the RCBot 2 for HL2 but it pretty much died quite a while ago.  I do not know of any other projects out there, though I'd be interested in it if some one else knows of one.

--

I've also noticed HL2 servers being more laggy then usual lately.  I'm not sure what is going on, but it is annoying.  What kind of ping do you usually play at?  I know this is pretty basic, but make sure all the eye candy is turned down and you don't have HDR or Bloom enabled without realizing it.  HL2 is a very CPU intensive game because it involves so much physics.  During a DM game with so much grav gun play, the CPU is using most of it's clock cycles computing gravity, friction, mass and trajectory.  Adding high graphics settings to that can lag your computer and the data it is sending to the server.  Just be sure you are set up for high FPS and maybe browse some HL2 DM forums for good autoexec commands for your particular type of connection (DSL, Cable, etc.).
Pages: 1 [2]