HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The retexureing, Of half life.  (Read 13958 times)

RavenGT

• Gonarch
  • Charlie Cyprus
    • View Profile
    • Half-Life Creations
Re: The retexureing, Of half life.
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2005, 02:54:26 AM »

Oi, it's Editor321! I haven't seen him on the forums before. All I know is that he's a pretty damn well known dude around the Half-Life community.

Anyways...the detailed tex's in the hazard course screenshot look kinda "wrong". i dont know why but it doesn't fit for some reason. Maybe its just me.

EDIT: It's just the grate, I guess.

Editor321

• Gonarch
  • HOE NE Team
    • View Profile
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2005, 08:48:30 PM »

Oi, it's Editor321! I haven't seen him on the forums before. All I know is that he's a pretty damn well known dude around the Half-Life community.

Anyways...the detailed tex's in the hazard course screenshot look kinda "wrong". i dont know why but it doesn't fit for some reason. Maybe its just me.

EDIT: It's just the grate, I guess.

Hey Raven, havent seen or talked to you since that one game of Bumper Cars we played, that was loads of fun :) We should get back into contact

But yeah, I think overall redone textures are way better than detail. Don't get me wrong, but details seems to be more of the quick fix from what I've seen. But what I've seen might have been done properly.

Film11

• HL:E Forum Moderator
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2005, 11:12:13 PM »

I think detail textures is a method of slapping a sort of 'overlay' texture that creates the illusion of further detail in the material.  However, this can actually hinder the look of textures when the single 'overlay' texture is applied to a texture that does not suit it; i.e.: wood grain detail texture applied on walls.  It would look silly, but on wooden crates and other wooden objects would look impressive.

For this reason, Half-Life: Enhanced has chosen to remake textures instead of applying a singular detail texture that would somewhat spoil the scenery.
See an example: here.  Notice how the textures are much higher resolution and provide an extra step in detail without being excessive so as to detract from the gameplay.

Kizza

• Snark
  • I see me! Looking at you looking at me!Crazy shyt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2005, 03:11:54 PM »

Detail Textures are a quick and dirty method for making things look more detailed than they really are, hence the name. The ultimately preferable way of doing things is a hi-res texture, which is what I believe the HIT Team are doing.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2005, 03:18:52 PM »

Detail Textures are a quick and dirty method for making things look more detailed than they really are, hence the name. The ultimately preferable way of doing things is a hi-res texture, which is what I believe the HIT Team are doing.
Actually, there is use for both. Detail textures add in more detail to the texture, which can only be seen close up. For example, wood grain could be done with detail textures, while the main texture is a high resolution one. I doubt we will include any detail textures with HL:E but they do still work with the high resolution textures
Pages: 1 2 [3]