HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spelling tutorial. Again.  (Read 3514 times)

James

• Throw THIS at THAT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gonarch
  • <3
    • View Profile
    • Resident Evil : Cold Blood
Spelling tutorial. Again.
« on: August 10, 2006, 03:27:52 PM »

Right, under the request of Lurid, I'm writing another spelling tutorial for you people to ignore. First off, we shall start off with the most common spelling errors:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your - This is not used as a shortened version of "you are". When you use the word "your", you are talking about something that whoever you are talking to owns. For example, you would say:

Your house
Your hat
Your ice cream
You're house, you're hat, you're ice cream is not correct. That would mean "You are house, you are hat, you are ice cream"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're - This is short for "you are". The apostrophe (the little ' ) shows that a letter has been removed. In this case, the letter that has been removed is "a" to make a shorter version of it. I made a little .gif to explain.

Some examples of how to use "you're":

You're tall
You're cold
You're really annoying
Too - Usually used the same way that "also" is used, or to indicate that there is too much/too little etc. of a certain thing. To explain things better, take a look at these examples:

I'm hungry too (See how you could also say "I'm hungry also"?)
I'm too tired
There are too many people
To - If you are unsure how to use this one, then use it whenever you're not saying any types of the above examples. If you need help with this one (Usually people get this one right, but a few people make the odd mistake) then look at these examples:

I'm going to bed
To be or not to be?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing that is disliked on this forum is AOLian language. For example, replying to a post with "lol" is deemed unacceptable. Leet speak is also a big no-no, so don't go around replacing letters with numbers and the like. Also, this is a forum. It is not MSN. This sort of thing:

lol r u going 2 do teh model 4 me plz? kk thx

Makes Lurid very angry and I assume the other staff too. Not to mention the normal members who actually make an effort to not sound like a complete retard in their posts. It isn't a race, you can take all the time you want to spell words correctly. If you're unsure, run it through Microsoft Word or a similar spell checker.

Some examples of unacceptable faggotry:

Cuz instead of "because"
Ur instead of "your or you're"
U instead of "you"
kk (GOD I FUCKING HATE THIS ONE) instead of "ok or okay". WHY SAY "KK"? NOBODY SAYS THAT IN REAL LIFE.
m8 instead of "mate". M8 sounds like a type of car, so get out.
Gtfo instead of "get the fuck out"
Omg instead of "oh my god"
Stfu instead of "shut the fuck up"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USE PUNCTUATION. Yes, I am looking at you, Gtaiiilc. I've seen a lot of people typing their posts like this without any commas or fullstops or any other punctuation to indicate a pause in their sentence so it sounds like a long breathless piece of shit and its really and it really annoys me and a lot of other people so don't do it it's really annoying okay so don't fucking do it.

www.minuit.hostilezone.net/Files/Sentencewithoutpunctuation.wav

That is what that sentence would sound like in real life if you were reading it aloud, or as close as possible.

Think about how you would say the sentence in real life. Where you would normally pause if you were actually speaking it, add a comma. If it's the end of a sentence, add a fullstop/period. If you ever write a long sentence without punctuation again, I will hunt you down and pull your liver out through your mouth.

Make sure you always start a sentence with a capital letter. The first letter after a fullstop/period should be a capital letter. People's names need to start with capital letters too.

Apostrophes (these things ' ) are used incorrectly by almost everyone. Use an apostrophe to indicate a missing letter in a word or phrase (remember the you are/you're example?) or to show that someone or something owns something. Some good examples would be:

Bob's house
I'm tired
The cat's claws.

That's not too hard to grasp, is it?
They're - See "you are". This is a shortening (contraction) of "they are". Some examples:

They're tall
They're scary
They're fucking stupid
Their - Referring to something that "they" own. Some examples:

Their house
Their hat
Their ice cream

Not to be confused with "there" or "they're"
There - Think of this as "here"'s cousin. It is referring to "that place". Some examples:

There is a bird
Look, over there!
I see what you did there

Again, I'll reiterate. The odd leet speak here and there as a joke is fine according to Lurid, but do not use it seriously or excessively.

ONE LAST THING: THE WORD IS "FORUM", NOT FUCKING "FOURM".

Please, follow these basic rules. If not for the sake of making yourself look more intelligent, then for mine and Lurid's sanity

Do I need to add anything to this?