HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Under the Spotlight  (Read 3646 times)

redhood

• You suck at the internet
  • Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
Under the Spotlight
« on: August 28, 2006, 06:01:17 AM »

Some of you may remember Golden Model Showcase from way back. For those of you that don't; Golden Model Showcase was a subforum that housed the best model releases and showcased their author. Releases were chosen by moderators and topics were moved to the subforum to feature the work. Later on the feature was dropped due to some small animosity.

We've decided to resurrect another showcase but rather than have only the moderators choose what makes the cut, it will be decided by several new contributing factors; popularity, responses and contributions that show significant interest in continuing the work, as well as the normal criteria: creativity, craftsmanship, originality and so on. Now it is everyone, mods and members alike, that decide what is Under the Spotlight. Anything that is released on the board (models, maps, 2D art, etc.) qualifies as a possible spotlight. Please remember to show the same courtesy in release threads that you have before. We don't want folks to only reply in angst of spotlighting a release. This means please continue critiques and conversations normally. We will then decide what deserves a place in Spotlight based on the aforementioned criteria.

Topics that are moved to the Spotlight will be a permanently archived as a featured thread here rather than in Model Releases. The Spotlight is still under maintenance so bare with us as we work on the loose ends.

I'm unlocking this thread to get feedback and suggestions to improve Under the Spotlight. Please tell us what we might do to keep the spotlights fair, extra criteria that you may think is important to choose releases for a spotlight, and anything else you might like to discuss. Please keep the discussion to the subforum in general. This is not an opportunity to nominate releases.

Heckler Stev

• No releases for you!
  • Gargantua
  • Smod mod's personal customizer
    • View Profile
Re: Under the Spotlight
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 08:18:16 AM »

I have noticed that new old threads like the smod threads aren't in here, they don't get automaticaly put in here by html code I guess. Well, would be cool if you set a certain amout of views or posts to get in here.

redhood

• Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 09:14:07 AM »

That's right; everything is moved by hand. We don't have any scripts in place to auto-move releases. Threads based on their posts or view counts aren't always quality material. For instance, Pipboy's grunt release has the sixth most replies and a pretty large view count. And I don't think, personally, that material is worth being spotlighted. Most importantly, spotlight isn't a popularity contest. There is still tons of quality work on the board that hasn't reached a second page. So I don't think we'll be using any scripts to move threads over.

However, I will start and pin a nomination thread for folks to continuously post to and nominate what releases should be moved. Folks can then debate, in a reasonable manner, whether something really should be archived here in Spotlight. If the general consensus is that it should be moved then a mod will go ahead and spotlight the release. If there happens to be an abundance of indecisiveness amongst people about a particular releases then it probably shouldn't be moved. If a release should be spotlighted without a questionable doubt, then it will be moved immediately. If a nomination thread turns out to be a burden and causes too much trouble then I'll remove it and we'll revert back to moderators using their judgment about what should be moved according to the criteria.

hydeph

• cactus
  • Gonarch
  • cactus
    • View Profile
    • hydeph - smokin a j
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 01:17:19 PM »

I suggest 'Under the Spotlight' threads be locked after being added, to prevent unnecessary post count whores and useless bumps from plaguing threads.

Redhood? :]

redhood

• Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 09:50:40 PM »

I'd like to keep them open just incase the download links go down and someone wants to report that, or for general discussion and improvement modifications being planned. You can't really bump any threads in here as there aren't even half a dozen threads yet but I will be on the prowl for post whores.

Also, if any other mods want to help in this escapade then please feel free to do so. I don't want the burden of maintaining it alone.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 09:52:30 PM by redhood »