HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Nominations  (Read 19939 times)

redhood

• You suck at the internet
  • Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
Nominations
« on: August 28, 2006, 09:33:27 AM »

Nominations are open to everyone and for any work released. You may nominate as many releases as you like and then folks will discuss the topic to decide whether or not the work should be spotlighted. Any discussion that becomes inappropriate or overwhelmingly can not be decided on will not be moved. Think hard about what you would like to nominate as spotlights because while there is tons of quality work here, we aren't going to be moving the majority of releases to the spotlight. Any work that is without a doubt spotlight material will, of course, be moved over as soon as possible. This is going to be a trial run. If nominations work smoothly then we'll keep this thread ongoing. If it doesn't work well then we will ditch the idea and revert back to moderators choosing releases based on the criteria. I'll update if there are any significant changes to how nominations are held.

When you nominate a release please put information that you think is appropriate in the post. For example, you may consider putting the thread title and link, author(s), what the release is, what game it is for, mention whether there have been continued modifications to the work, a brief description of why you think the work should be spotlighted and so on. Polish your post and make them easy to read with all the necessary information so it is easier to judge and discuss the work. If there happens to be no posts discussing your nomination then do not bump the thread, or leave reminders. It probably won't be spotlighted if people don't want to discuss it. So, in short, let it die.

Again, this is a trial run. We'll see how well this works. If we all love it then it will stay as an ongoing thread. Let it begin.

Werewolf

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: Nominations
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 12:41:29 PM »

I guess I'll get the ball rolling.

I would like to suggest:

Most of Romka's work, but especially the HEV models.  Most of his work is found here.

Quad's Crowbar

H4WK's HEV arms

Biomech's Barnacle

Fat_al's gib packs

Toadie's .357 pack

Red Slug and End of Days' RPG7

Red's SD LD-ish Glock

Red's Battery

Besli's Enhanced Sentry Gun

These are just suggestions, so I thought I'd put quite a few in and see what people had to say.

Flowers Of Naivety

• DIE DIE DIE
  • Gonarch
  • kikikimamama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 08:22:51 PM »

I am gonna nominate my own work. My Grunts 4.1. Lots of people like them, they were gonna be used in a mod (dont know what happneed to it,) and parts have been used in other skins. And I just don't want to see them stuffed way back in the bowels of HIT releases anymore :P

http://www.hl-improvement.com/forums/index.php?topic=3128.0

RapidH

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 01:14:23 PM by RapidH »

Unbreakable

• Architect
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
    • Unbreakable Web!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 09:11:49 PM »

redhood

• Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 09:32:51 PM »

Just a reminder: please take the time to include a little more information other than a link to encourage a discussion for potential spotlights. Also, take the time to talk about other nominees as well. A thread full of links which ignore previous posters is useless.

Quad's crowbar should probably be in Spotlight. Not only is it a kick-ass crowbar but releases that include multiple hands are always well received. I would however like to see the crowbar carried on with additional modern arms that have been released (such as H4wk's or RavenGT's). It may already be unanimous that the crowbar should be spotlighted but I'll wait for additional feedback.

While I do like H4wk's arms, I can't seem to find many releases that have included them as the default or as an additional set. I know most people will compile the most standard arms but, personally, I'd like to see more releases that have used these as defaults or included them as an option in their release beforehand. Can you  point out some releases that have included these Werewolf? Also, are people continuing to include these with their releases?

Heckler Stev

• No releases for you!
  • Gargantua
  • Smod mod's personal customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 09:58:26 PM »

How about:

Smod Remastered-By your evil twin, excellent content and effects to add to smod

Smod Redux-By Onemanshow 47, like the one above, but with more weapons, effects, and player models.

Alyx Denim outfit-By Wornz, nicest alyx reskin out there, plus it is denim.

Verthrashers HL2 weapon Reskin Pack-By Verthrasher, excellent detail to the weapons of hl2 added.

Romkas Stripped soldier with compatible pants-By Romka, it has a better skin/uv, so it uses the skin of your current combine soldier, which is like skinning 2 ragdolls at once!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:01:58 PM by Heckler Stev »

Werewolf

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 10:55:14 PM »

Ok, as far as H4WK's HEV arms go, Minuit used them on his AK and Toadie has them in his 357's ack.  I'm not sure who else has released things with them in apart from Toadie, Minuit and myself.  Obviously not every link I posted will make the grade, but some might.

FON's grunts are cool in my opinion, and although I never used them I'm going to start using them now.  I think that's a really important part of the "Golden Models/Under The Spotlight" concept; getting people exposed to the really great models they might not have used before, because the might have missed them.

It's nice to see that someone has nominated something I worked on, so that's cool (although I personally prefer my original version, but obviously that's because I made it the way I wanted it, other people will like different things).

I'm going to disagree with the nomination for Renard's Splinter Cell pack.  This is not out of any dislike or lack of respect for Renard or his work, I really like some of his models.  I do feel, however, that it is just too soon to say that it is golden or that it will stand the test of time.  People always tend to think that things are really great when they are first released, but I think that "Under the Spotlight" should really be about the models that you always want to come back to after you've tried new things for a while and gotten a little tired of them.

As for some of my suggestions I'd have to say that Romka's HEV suit is great due to the lack of such a great set of HEV models anywhere else.

Red's Glock is a really comprehensive package; you get HL, OP4 and BS arms, peewee's, a 9mm_clip and Barney gun reference SMD's.  There really isn't a more complete 9mm handgun release out there.

Quad's Crowbar is also a really great release, as has been said, the three main arm groups are there plus a scientist arm set.  You also get peewee's.

Although I said that Renard's Splinter Cell pack was to new to be made golden, Toadie's 357 pack has 4 already loved models on great anims, a bundle of arm types peewee's, the source SMD's and alternate skins for the models.  This gives you another really comprehensive collection of the best revolvers to be had, making it a one stop source for changing your 357 model.

And that's all I have to say about that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:57:35 PM by Werewolf »

mwgedd1

• The Cropsy Maniac
  • Alien Grunt
  • Horror fanatic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 11:43:42 PM »

Loorid's Chrome Frenzy Gauss, the latest version of it, of course.

Quad's crowbar is definately worthy of this section, in my opinion.

There's some others that I will probably post later, but at the moment, I cant think of the others off the top of my head.

-Chief-

• HEY LOOK A CUSTOM TITLE
  • Alien Grunt
  • Blargh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 12:06:46 AM »

I agree with most of what everyone else suggested but, I have a few I think are worthy of teh warm spotlight thingy:

End of Days' M4 End of Days' M4 for 9mmAR. A great 9mmAR that deserves a spotlight.

H4wk's Egon H4wk's Egon Reskin, comes in 3 different colors and 4 different arm choices. One of our few Egons here.

Toadie's Mossberg Toadie's Mossberg 500. Another one of Toadie's great releases, it also has 3 arm choices.

Toadie's M24 Toadie's M24. A good sniper rifle by Toadie that features HEV,BS, and OPFOR and peewees.

Werewolf's Ammo Werewolf's Ammo. A set of ammo that actually matches!

Toadie's P90s Toadie's P90. We have a shortage of Uzis here!

Red Slug's Rpg recreation Red Slug's HL RPG recreation. A very good recreation of the HL LD rpg.

Toadies S&W 500 Dirty Harry Toadie's S&W 500 (Yes another one of Toadies releases <3 Toadie :D)

Lurid's Chrome Frenzy Gauss Lurid's Chrome Frenzy gauss. SHINEH!  ;D
And that's it.

EDIT: Forgot one... GamingLord's "realistic" blood sprites and decal wad GamingLord's blood decals and sprites. Some of teh best blood!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 04:12:01 PM by Ghost »

.:TWP:. Jazz_man

• The Think Tank
  • Gonarch
  • Song Cue! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • .:TWP:. Homepage(Closed.. Sorry)
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 12:14:26 AM »

Wonrz's SD Garg:
http://www.hl-improvement.com/forums/index.php?topic=6040.0

This model has had Mass praise and thumbs up since it's release, Also it's been selected as a replacement for the HL:S SD Project, That is Also a great honor..

Frraksurred

• Team HL:S:HD
  • Gonarch
  • ~ More Hi-Deffier ~
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Ambassadors
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 05:15:54 AM »

I'd have to second the nomination of Wonrz' Garg skin.  The release included a 2048x2048 skin and a 1024x1024 normal map.  Converted beautifully to Source for HL:S:HD.  Top notch work.

--

I'd also have to concur with just about everything Werewolf nominated.

--

I'd be remiss if I didn't second Heckler Steve's nomination of Verthrasher's HL2 Weapons Reskin Pack.  There is not a dud among them; they will be featured in an upcoming HL2DM Video Tutorial Series I am working on... AND there is a good chance we'll see some iteration of a few of them in the Black Mesa Project as well.

--

Lest we forget A.I's work that so many of the models we use have been built off of.  Particularly his Zombie.

--

Lastly, Romka's HEV Suit and v.5 Hgrunts.  What haven't they been used for?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 01:12:27 PM by Frraksurred »

redhood

• Administrator
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 10:09:36 AM »

Wonrz's Garg skin was on my mind though I was waiting until the Source version was released to make up my mind and cast a vote. Not that the Gold version isn't fantastic - I just wanted to see the sourced version beforehand. Knowing that the release will be compatible with both engines adds some leverage.

I'll go ahead and move Vert's reskin pack over because, well, it needs to be here.

Frraksurred

• Team HL:S:HD
  • Gonarch
  • ~ More Hi-Deffier ~
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Ambassadors
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 01:11:41 PM »

Wonrz's Garg skin was on my mind though I was waiting until the Source version was released to make up my mind and cast a vote.

Understandable.  We are working to that end as we speak.  ;D

--

I'll go ahead and move Vert's reskin pack over because, well, it needs to be here.

Hooray!  Congrats Vert!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 01:13:24 PM by Frraksurred »

End Of Days

• 3D Modeller
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 12:26:35 AM »

OP4 Redux: http://www.hl-improvement.com/forums/index.php?topic=3767.0
One of the best OP4 replacement packs out there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4