HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Handy Model Compiling/Decompiling Tools [HL1]  (Read 5818 times)

SureShot

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
Handy Model Compiling/Decompiling Tools [HL1]
« on: October 21, 2006, 03:25:26 PM »

Ok, so in the past I've been badgered by people to explain why some compile qc outputs come up with strange errors, even when the compile files are nigh on perfect.  Or how to flip animations or complete models with and without gflip.  So I thought it'd be in everyones best interest to have all the necessary files needed for compiling in one place.

First on the list is a compilation of Compiling and Decompiling Executables.  For those of you who STILL use MS3D's standard plugins for such things, these may save you a lot of woe and aggravation.  The following files are included in the first attached .rar file.

• Studiomdl (Transparency Version) - If you seem to have problems compiling models with transparency, this updated one should make life a little easier.
  • Studiomdl (1.6 Player Version) - Any good compiler for Half Life will tell you that this is the most stable and all-round best compiler of the lot, use for everything.
  • Kratisto's Decompiler (v1.2) - Again, as with ALL HL1 decompilers it has the uv-shift bug, but unlike other decompilers it doesnt fudge the model up
  • MdlFlip - This is the barebones program that GFlip uses as it's base, unlike GFlip this is a DOS based program, and allows you to flip individual animation smd's.  Those with GFlip problems will love this, but it's a tad longwinded in comparison
  • GFlip 1.2 - This program is a bit like looking for the holy grail, you can never find a working link.  No longer.

Next, are the Model Viewing/Manipulation Programs.  Not everybody makes their models the same way, or using the same program, but the basis for compiling them in HL1 format is the same.

• Milkshape 3D (1.7.10 latest version) - Lovely little program for making low-polygon models, manipulating them and exporting to a LOT of different game formats.  It does have a 30 day trial, but it's cheap as anything.
  • Jed's Half Life Model Viewer v1.35 - Ah, Jed.  What would we do without Jed.  Well for one thing we'd have to live with the Original HL1 HLMV.  And we dont want that do we.  Little tip, using the studiomdl/mdldec of your choice from the above list, put them in the same folder as JHLMV and point the viewer towards them in options.  You can now compile through HLMV directly :) and it also doubles as a .pak/.gcf/.wad viewer
  • Jed's GUI Studiomdl - Again, making compilers lives easier.  This app acts as a GUI Wrapper Frontend for the otherwise DOS based studiomdl.  It doesn't close post-compile so you can see the error log if there were any.  Again, point it to your prefered studiomdl.exe for ease of use.
  • Nem's GCFScape - Acts as a winrar style interface that allows you to open the Valve .gcf format for all their games using Steam.  Also opens .wad/.pak/.bsp/.xzp files.  Great for when you need the original files for a model.

Now, some of you might be saying "Well I made Model A in ProgramX but I have no way of opening the file in milkshape".  Most compilers would bite the bullet and say export it as a .3ds, as it's pretty universal.  Only problem with that is the fact it unwelds the vertices on some models, or completely ruins the smoothing normals on the model.  Ergo, we need to export to a problem free format that Milkshape understands and can work with no problem.  Here are some Plugins for various modelling software packages that export the the .SMD format, the heart and soul of a HL1 .MDL file.

Now for the optional extras.  Say you want to edit the sounds that accompany your model, and you want a cheap and cheerful way of doing so.  Here are a list of suitable Audio Editing Programs to work on HL Sounds.  Remember to save your .wav files in the following format - WAV/16bit/22050Khz/Mono

And lastly, everybody uses notepad to edit .qc files, or most people do.  However I like to use Notepad2, since it includes syntax highlights so you can see what you're doing better.

NOTEPAD 2

So hopefully, now that I've supplied you with the means to compile a model with minimum fuss (and if there is any "fuss" it'll tell you why), you'll be knocking out compiles woe-free in no time.  Saying that, a vast number of you guys probably know all this anyway, but it's a good place to come if your new to the scene.

Enjoy.

[File not found]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 03:27:12 PM by SureShot »

James

• Throw THIS at THAT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gonarch
  • <3
    • View Profile
    • Resident Evil : Cold Blood
Re: Handy Model Compiling/Decompiling Tools [HL1]
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 05:29:51 PM »

I wasn't badgering you, was I? Sorry. D=

Anywho, this should come in really handy for a lot of people, good work.

Killer12137

• Mastah of teh Primitives!
  • Gargantua
  • Future Ambassador of Earth.
    • View Profile
Re: Handy Model Compiling/Decompiling Tools [HL1]
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 11:20:27 PM »

Woo, everything I ever wanted, all in one place.  Fantastic.