HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [HL2 WIP] Undersea Station  (Read 2002 times)

biomech

• Vortigaunt
  • Sick of a Furimatosis Kurilepsis
    • View Profile
    • Dark Territory, the russian Half-life add-on
[HL2 WIP] Undersea Station
« on: November 21, 2006, 02:34:09 AM »

The idea of it map soared in my head long. At first I wished to realize it in a HL1, but there were no technical resources, and i stopped by this *** limits :/. With an output of a HL2 I had an opportunity nevertheless to execute my idea. It is district on multikilometer depth at ocean, with small scientific station at the bottom. The station will be divided by corridors with glasses and if glass to break the corridor is filled with water and is blocked. Try to have time to reach the nearest sluice.:D
WIP screens:

Frostbite

• Today I've molested a...
  • Gonarch
  • Can't shake this feeling.
    • View Profile
    • Frostbite
Re: [HL2 WIP] Undersea Station
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 02:35:56 AM »

Looks nice, but it'd be nice to see a non-fullbright screenie

biomech

• Vortigaunt
  • Sick of a Furimatosis Kurilepsis
    • View Profile
    • Dark Territory, the russian Half-life add-on
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 02:36:49 AM »

leak.:D i don't finish map yet.

Razor-47

• Subject 47
  • Gonarch
  • Anomaly Detected...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 07:11:29 AM »

It looks good, but I suggest changing the scenery. Different tiles, layout, etc... I mean, it can't all look the same can it?

SaxonSwine

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »

You have some good basic geometry... give us some pictures with lighting, props and details in.

Can I just warn against "open" water areas for the player to access?  It might make for confusing gameplay, plus there is the risk of serious slow-down caused by the large open areas.
Another warning is the MGS2 warning - having straight corridors (or skywalks as they were in MGS2) make for linear gameplay, so the fun bits will happen in the main buildings themselves.

My thoughts for themes:

Maybe make some underwater de-salinated tanks (as in containers) which house segments or areas of the base?

Another cool thing would be to have a segment based around an underwater trench... which gets attacked by some giant monster.  Ooh very Resident Evil!  Try not to make flooding bits predictable, there was an HL1 mod where you roamed around an underground base and scripted flooding was always really predictable.

Storyline wise, you need a good reason for the player to be working in an underwater base...  You could have some sort of underwater base doing research into Ant-Lions which live on the ocean floor?

Also see The Abyss - might give you some ideas for themes or whatever.  That was a pretty good horror film with Navy Seals who go coco :P