HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [WIP] I guess I had some hidden mapping potential.  (Read 8124 times)

Killer12137

• Mastah of teh Primitives!
  • Gargantua
  • Future Ambassador of Earth.
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] I guess I had some hidden mapping potential.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 09:41:18 AM »

Holy shit it's an update.

This is the start of the second map.  I'm pretty much done with the first map, I just need to place enemies and then take some stuff out like extra weapons.

I also added the old website for this map onto my new site and updated the page, here's the link: http://killer12137.bulletfiles.com/map/   It still needs to be updated a bit with the older pics, but I'll get around to it sometime.

Did I mention I'm limiting this map to the hl.wad?

EDITEDITEDIT: YAY CAPPIE IS HOSTING ME
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:50:22 PM by Killer12137 »

Labcup

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 02:54:07 PM »

When I open Hammer and want to make something good, It always won't work.
Looks great!

Biohaz@rd

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
    • The Last Citizen/ The Lost Survivor
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 12:12:09 PM »

Nice work, although most areas lack some "architectural" detail, like columns and such. Anyway, how are the r_speeds going? That outdoor area looks engine-killing to me.
I would also suggest you to try using other textures than HL's standards. For example POKE646's. It will make your map look 10 times better. Textures and lighting are sometimes more important than nice geometry.
And if you can, use models to add even more detail. POKE646 or CZ did it, and the results were just awesome.
Keep it up!

Killer12137

• Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »

Actually, I've thought once or twice about using models for the buildings and whatnot, but I'm not really sure what kinds of buildings would work x_x

It would definitely allow me to throw a few more things into the map though.

About the r_speeds, I'm actually going to check that right now.  I'll update this post with the results.

EDIT: I don't know what to make of it, since I'm not sure all what r_speeds mean, but after putting r_speeds to 1, this is the line I got with the most wpoly:

Code: [Select]
23 fps  4 ms  1420 wpoly  5761 epoly
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 10:11:39 PM by Killer12137 »

hydeph

• cactus
  • Gonarch
  • cactus
    • View Profile
    • hydeph - smokin a j
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 10:34:16 PM »

http://twhl.co.za/tutorial.php?id=38

Some of the rooms are large and empty and serve little purpose other than to connect other rooms together. Perhaps you could make some more complex hallways and corridors or something.

Killer12137

• Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 04:53:35 AM »

Some of the rooms are large and empty...

If you're talking about the room with the one working light, then yeah, I'm not sure what to do with that room.  It's supposed to be like a ticket station where people buy tickets to ride the subway, but I haven't figured out how it should all go.  I just know it is part of the story and it's there to make it more believable.  Nobody likes a bogus story.

And thanks for the article, but that was written in 2003, so what would be the standard today for r_speeds?

hydeph

• cactus
  • Gonarch
  • cactus
    • View Profile
    • hydeph - smokin a j
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 05:31:18 AM »

::) It's kinda hard to say, some people will bitch regardless?

Try putting some turnstiles, a ticket booth, objects to limit/flow pedestrian traffic, metal detectors, signs for direction, map of the system perhaps, television screens, trashcans, benches, newspaper dealios or something.

Be creative, it's part of the whole mapping thing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 05:33:27 AM by hydeph »

Killer12137

• Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 05:52:06 AM »

::) It's kinda hard to say, some people will bitch regardless?

Try putting some turnstiles, a ticket booth, objects to limit/flow pedestrian traffic, metal detectors, signs for direction, map of the system perhaps, television screens, trashcans, benches, newspaper dealios or something.

Be creative, it's part of the whole mapping thing.

Alright, thanks!  I'll try to put those into the map, and I'll work on getting the r_speeds down outside by putting building models out there instead of huge texture blocks.

Biohaz@rd

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
    • The Last Citizen/ The Lost Survivor
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 10:23:11 AM »

Besides that, I suggest you to paint EVERY unseen brush face with the NULL texture (I suppose you're using ZHLT compiling tools right? If so, add the zhlt.wad to your wad list and then use the null texture). If there are many unseen faces, this process will help you a lot to reduce your r_speeds.
You must control visibility as well. The Half-Life engine is not prepared to create BIG areas. You must try to eliminate (or fake) big areas and you must control how much map you can see from any place. Usually, Half-life likes "blocky" style, combined with 90ยบ corners. You can also try to use hint-brushes when VIS does not work properly.

Finally, try to use a batch compiler and do a full compile (Full VIS, RAD in extra mode and such). Hammer compiles are fine to see how the map is progressing, but when you want to "diagnose" how are the r_speeds going, you must do a full compile.
(oh, btw, I wouldn't suggest you to pass the 1200-1300 w_polies. The map will work fine with most actual computers, but in older computers won't run smoothly. It's always a good idea to think about these poor guys who may want to play your map but are still stuck with an older pentium 3 at 1000 MHz, with a TNT2  :P )

Anyway, I suck at explaining this things so you should look for r_speeds tutorials. Some of them (If not all) explain quite well how the VIS process works and how to sort its problems out.

PS: If you're not using ZHLT compiling tools...OMG! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!! :o (download the latest version asap :P )
PS2: I said 1200-1300 w_polies, but in fact the official Valve resources say that the standard r_speeds are between 400-600 and in MOST loaded areas it shouldn't pass the 800-900 polies. Anyway, at this moment 90% of computers, no matter how old are can run more or less smoothly with 1200-1300 polies.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:32:48 AM by Biohaz@rd »

Killer12137

• Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 09:13:39 AM »

http://killer12137.bulletfiles.com/map/

How am I doing so far?  The conference room is far from finished, I have yet to put chairs and stuff in, and then make it a bit more graphically nice to look at.  Right now I was really just testing the lighting in the room to see how it looked.  I think it needs to be a bit darker.

Oh, also, I've decided to name the map surv_horr, which, if you're dumb and can't figure it out, is short for survival horror.  So, if you see me say surv_horr, know that I'm referencing the map, and not demanding you to serve whores or something.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 09:36:40 AM by Killer12137 »

hydeph

• cactus
  • Gonarch
  • cactus
    • View Profile
    • hydeph - smokin a j
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 02:45:33 PM »

filling that room with chairs and shit will surely kill your r_speeds. Since you didn't do anything we suggested before, I'm not even going to suggest anything at all.

Frostbite

• Today I've molested a...
  • Gonarch
  • Can't shake this feeling.
    • View Profile
    • Frostbite
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2007, 03:27:10 PM »

Try shrinking the conference room, and maybe use models instead of brushes for the chairs and tables.

Killer12137

• Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 06:54:51 PM »

Try shrinking the conference room, and maybe use models instead of brushes for the chairs and tables.
Yeah thats what I was planning, and then just making a brush that would cover the area the chairs were on so the player couldn't pass through.

filling that room with chairs and shit will surely kill your r_speeds. Since you didn't do anything we suggested before, I'm not even going to suggest anything at all.
I'm getting there, I just wanted to see how that room looked.  When I work on maps, I jump around a lot, which is probably bad, but I do that with pretty much anything I make, so I guess it's just habit.

JPolito

• Headcrab
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 12:37:58 PM »

And thanks for the article, but that was written in 2003, so what would be the standard today for r_speeds?

Surprisingly enough, the numbers mentioned in that article are pretty accurate. I'm pretty sure that once the r_speeds get to a certain level it is just the engine struggling to keep up causing the lag anyway.

Killer12137

• Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 02:23:52 PM »

Alright, thanks everyone for your suggestions, I did shrink the conference room by a lot shortly after I posted those pics, and I'm starting to work on detailing those two rooms with different appropriate objects.  Right now I'm at work, so I can't post any pics, but once I get home and set my computer up, I'll post some newer pics of the conference room.
Pages: 1 [2]