Author Topic: RAM  (Read 3659 times)

Flowers Of Naivety

• DIE DIE DIE
  • Gonarch
  • kikikimamama
    • View Profile
RAM
« on: April 17, 2007, 08:54:22 AM »

I am looking into getting a 2gig upgrade of RAM for my new pc... But I don't really know too much about RAM.

I am looking into some 533 ram to match what I already have. But there are still different grades of it, value stuff, DELL select, Corsair... What are the differences?

Value RAM would only set me back 100-150 bucks. Dell preferred (I think it's reg Kingston) is 300, and Corsair I am not too sure about.

And eventually I will get a DX10 card, right now the one i have is using Turbocache and it fucks my shit up too much.

Should I consider getting a better video card to hold me over until a really nice one? Like a Geforce 7600?

I am going to bestbuy this morning, and maybe I will be able to get some money...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:33:35 PM by Flowers Of Naivety »

Razor-47

• Subject 47
  • Gonarch
  • Anomaly Detected...
    • View Profile
Re: RAM
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 04:21:22 PM »

Well Corsair is a brand that makes the RAM. I'd need to know what brand of memory and model you have first before I could give any advice though. And getting the 7600 isn't a bad idea, but get the GS version to save money if you're going to upgrade later.

Flowers Of Naivety

• DIE DIE DIE
  • Gonarch
  • kikikimamama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 06:56:53 PM »

I have what came with the pc, most likely standard Kingston with Dell slapped on it. 1gig (512x2) DDR2 533mghz.

Also does faster ram really make that much of a difference? Would 1 gig of 800mghz be better then 2gig 533?

User with the dancing badger

• HIT's Resident Programmer.
  • Gonarch
  • ~= Master Of Mess =~
    • View Profile
    • HostileZone
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 02:22:19 PM »

Dell usually ship their PC's with unbranded RAM.

A word about branding in the context of RAM: Branding of RAM DOES make a difference. Ever wondered why your cheap 1GB stick of RAM is read as 876MB ? (For example) Well it's because due to the process of making RAM chips, there will always be sections of the chips which are not perfect - they perform below the standard and hence are marked as bad sections. These are masked out of the final product, hence why they don't get read. Better brands of RAM use better quality materials and better (More expensive) methods of production. Corsair is probably the best make of RAM there is.

Eg. I have 2x 512MB sticks of Corsair XMS PRO RAM in my PC, and guess what it reads as. 1024MB. That, is a sign of good quality RAM.

That said, let's talk about what RAM does for you.

RAM is used a hell of a lot in applications and games. Every assignment is assigning to / from either HDD memory (Only when it loads a file, or you've run out of RAM), from RAM (Most of the time), or from your CPU Cache (Only for small / commonly used stuff). As you can see, RAM is the most important in terms of performance. Upgrading your RAM to branded / faster can make 20 or so FPS difference in high-end games, which can be the difference between lagging and not. However due to the price, it's upto you if it's worth it or not.

It is VERY worthwhile getting more RAM if you are running out (To stop it paging, as your HDDs are very slow), however the difference between fast / slow RAM is harder to decide.

Dual Channel
Dual channel is like RAID for HDDs. It is when you have two of the same RAM sticks in your computer. As your computer writes to the RAM, it writes half of the data to one stick and half to the other, effectivly doubling the speed of the write. This is very worthwhile but you must have the SAME RAM is both of the channels. (Check your motherboard manual)

Would 1 gig of 800mghz be better then 2gig 533?
If you are running out of RAM, get the 2GB. If not, get the faster.

Hope this helps. =)

PS: Spell checker isn't working so sorry for spelling.

Flowers Of Naivety

• DIE DIE DIE
  • Gonarch
  • kikikimamama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 03:21:45 PM »

Hey thanks a lot.

My RAM does infact read as 1024, but i know what you mean. I have had RAM in the past that read a little under.

And I also have Dual Channel. I have 2 512's already in, which I could get rid of if I decide on getting faster RAM. I am still not really sure about it though.

I don't do really intense stuff on my PC. I don't mix music, all the video editing I do is done in Windows Movie Maker, and I don't do 3d modeling/level making/ etc. Now and then I play some new games, most just suck too much lately. But I do play HL2, STALKER, and when I get a better GPU I will play Oblivion. So I am still not sure if faster would be better just yet.

And when it comes to needing more RAM. Well Photoshop CS2 brings my RAM usage up to 80-90% when working with almost any size image. It starts lagging pretty bad once an images working size gets over 50 megs, and really bad at 100-200 megs.

I am also running Vista Home Premium, which is using a little extra RAM, but not nearly as much as I thought it would.

Also would getting a USB drive for powerboost do me any good?

PS... I need a job... http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID=7944
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 03:27:57 PM by Flowers Of Naivety »

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 03:57:05 PM »

Also would getting a USB drive for powerboost do me any good?
You mean ReadyBoost? Not really sure it would benefit you much right now, you would be much better off going with some more RAM

Flowers Of Naivety

• DIE DIE DIE
  • Gonarch
  • kikikimamama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 04:04:17 PM »

Yeah Readyboost, oops. Yeah I figured that, worth asking though.

your evil twin

• The Official Half-Life Guru
  • Gonarch
  • I eat Xen Crystals for breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Planet Half-Life
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 05:28:52 PM »

I've seen a gig of RAM (second hand) selling for £30 on ebay. Is that sort of thing worthwhile? I'd imagine that boosting a computer to two gigs of ram rather than one would always be good, even if it is some crappy 2nd hand thing.

Oh, if you don't have a dual channel ram stick, and you slot some new ram in another slot and the new ram is dual channel, will anything actually go wrong, or will it simply not take advantage of the dual channel feature?

• Gonarch
  • ~= Master Of Mess =~
    • View Profile
    • HostileZone
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 09:05:53 PM »

I use ReadyBoost and to be honest I havn't noticed the blindest bit of difference (Then again, I'm not short on RAM so that's probably why.)

With Vista and Photoshop, I noticed that I was using way too much so personally I went for 2GB. For your usage, I wouldn't really worry about the speed however.

Your Evil Twin: 2GB is not always better than 1GB, it depends entirely on what you want to use your computer for.

Dual Channel support relates more to the motherboard. To use Dual Channel, you must have:
1) A motherboard which supports Dual Channel.
2) RAM in channel A which matches the amount of RAM in channel B. (By channel A / B, I mean the slots on the motherboard.)

If the speed of the sticks don't match, the slowest speed will be used. (Even if Dual Channel isn't supported)

Dual channel will be enabled automatically by the motherboard if the above conditions are met. If not, the system will run in Single Channel mode as normal.

PS: Fastest RAM in the world: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=533871

Tuskin

• I Have a Pet
  • Alien Grunt
  • I love Voritgaunts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 09:49:57 PM »

I might have to buy some of that ram.

your evil twin

• The Official Half-Life Guru
  • Gonarch
  • I eat Xen Crystals for breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Planet Half-Life
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 11:44:15 PM »

Well, I'd like to be able to play STALKER and FEAR on maximum settings with a decent framerate. Both games have recommended RAM of 1.5 or 2gb. Was hoping I could boost my comp's performance without paying very much, heh.

• Gonarch
  • ~= Master Of Mess =~
    • View Profile
    • HostileZone
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 08:56:52 PM »

Well unfortunatly for gaming, speed is what is important. Of course, speed comes with a not-so-nice price tag. :(

Flowers Of Naivety

• DIE DIE DIE
  • Gonarch
  • kikikimamama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 02:47:10 AM »

I was at fry's and we were looking at mobo's and they had RAM speeds listed in the specs. Does that mean there is a max speed a mobo can handle? Or can you use any speed of ram as long the rest of the specs match up? When I get the money I would really like to up to that 4gig 1000mhz stuff.

• Gonarch
  • ~= Master Of Mess =~
    • View Profile
    • HostileZone
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 07:45:31 AM »

That's the max the motherboard can handle, although most of the time they will infact take faster RAM.

I'd also doubt you need 4GB, I hardly use 2GB TBH.

Flowers Of Naivety

• DIE DIE DIE
  • Gonarch
  • kikikimamama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 01:18:39 PM »

I might not need it, but it sure would make me look like a total tool. Wait...  :-\

Pages: [1] 2