HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Crysis - What DirectX 10 can do for you...  (Read 7108 times)

Flowers Of Naivety

• DIE DIE DIE
  • Gonarch
  • kikikimamama
    • View Profile
Re: Crysis - What DirectX 10 can do for you...
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007, 08:23:01 PM »

I haven't noticed a decrease in FPS. As far as i can tell things run better. But then again I was using updated drivers from the begining.

Кассир клерка

• Clerk of Cashiers
  • Gonarch
  • I can't believe in myself
    • View Profile
Re: What DirectX 10 can do for Micro$oft
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2007, 04:35:18 PM »

The one big problem is that DirectX 10 is for Windoze Vista only ..
Sounds like Bill Gates is trying to force all gamers to buy Vista

So if you want to run any games that use DirectX10
.. you'll also need to pay $A400 for a new bloated version of windoze ..
(and thats after you've spent cash upgrading your PC ... so it can run the bugger!)

But wait! it gets better ... DirectX is NOT backward compatible with DX9
That means you'll need to figure out how to get two versions of DirectX installed if you'd like to still use games that need DirectX 9 !
... which basically means if you buy Vista (with DX10) .. say goodbye to all your games that use DX9 or earlier (like HL2)

There's good Aussie article here re: DirectX 10
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=24636
Nah nah its backwards compatible, just not in the usual way. Usually lets say a direct x 7 game, and you've got 9c installed, it'll just run on the Direct X 7 code still amongst the 9 code. but with 10, they're removing all the old redundant code and simply making it be rendered in Direct X 10.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2007, 04:57:29 PM »

Just ignore LaggedRabbit, he is one of those old people who cant stand things to be changed/improved :P

Seriously though, Vista isn't as bad as he or anyone else is making it out to be.
Sure, when the public beta first came out there was a lot of incompatible software/hardware. That's now changed however. A lot of these people who are saying Vista sucks haven't even tried it, they just look at some articles, and twist the words into something they want to believe.

We can probably expect the same thing at every new Windows release though. I feel pretty confident that most of these people saying Vista sucks will be using Vista eventually anyway.

And as for DX10 being Vista only, I'm pretty sure there were technical reasons for it, not just Bill Gates wanting to force gamers onto Vista

random salad

• DANCING SOCKS
  • Gargantua
  • WITH UNOFFICIAL SUPERSPECIAL NOPERMISSION TO SPAM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2007, 06:12:33 PM »

Seriously though, Vista isn't as bad as he or anyone else is making it out to be.
Sure, when the public beta first came out there was a lot of incompatible software/hardware. That's now changed however. A lot of these people who are saying Vista sucks haven't even tried it, they just look at some articles, and twist the words into something they want to believe.
The driver support for Vista isn't gonna catch up to the 6-7 years worth of driver support that 2000/XP has anytime soon, but yes, there's probably much better driver support for Vista now than there were when RC1 or whatever came, not to mention in the few months since Vista's been out.

The ones who lose the most on this deal are probably those with now-legacy hardware which isn't going to get Vista support like, ever for their hardware, but that was a problem 6 years ago too.
Pages: 1 2 [3]