HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windows Security Center error  (Read 1580 times)

Coozins

• T-Virus carrier
  • Gonarch
  • What is this? What's going on here?
    • View Profile
Windows Security Center error
« on: July 17, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »

Whenever I restart my computer, Windows Security Center will always turn off random things. It will turn off either Windows Firewall, Automatic Updates or Virus Protection. Does anyone have any idea of how to fix this infuriating problem?

random salad

• DANCING SOCKS
  • Gargantua
  • WITH UNOFFICIAL SUPERSPECIAL NOPERMISSION TO SPAM
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Security Center error
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 06:15:46 PM »

Yeah, don't use it.

Deactivate security center and let you yourself choose how to best protect your computer via 3rd party security programs.

Though if you really want to use Microsoft's solution then you should just see if you can keep its' security features running without needing the actual center program running.

But since it sounds like you're running Vista, I got no idea if that's even possible to do. Google on it.

Freakin

• drawingsmith
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:18:12 PM »

I get this same problem. Windows security just sucks. For the most part, I use programs like Spybot S&D to take care of things.

Werewolf

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:01:59 AM »

Don't even get me started on Windows and security...  My family's computer is royally screwed up now, not helped by the fact that they let their Norton subscription expire.  However, when I am home I am expected to magically fix everything.  My personal favourite Windows feature has to be the random changing of firewalled ports, making it impossible to leave settings on third party programs at a fixed setting EVEN THOUGH THE PROGRAM IS ON THE FIREWALL SAFE LIST!

In my new opinion, just switch to Mac OSX, makes life easier.  As far as I am concerned, windows is only for games now and even that can be done on a Mac these days thanks to BootXP.  I better shut up before I start sounding like one of those Mac vs. PC ads...

Coozins

• T-Virus carrier
  • Gonarch
  • What is this? What's going on here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 07:57:24 PM »

In my new opinion, just switch to Mac OSX, makes life easier.  As far as I am concerned, windows is only for games now and even that can be done on a Mac these days thanks to BootXP.  I better shut up before I start sounding like one of those Mac vs. PC ads...

Erm, well, XP is just fine for me. Thanks for everyone's input, I'll get some different security software.