HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SVEN] City of the Dead  (Read 3327 times)

EdisLeado

• Snark
    • View Profile
[SVEN] City of the Dead
« on: August 15, 2007, 09:42:09 PM »

Well, me and my friend (searanger) have been working on this map for a little while. I work on the map while he works on the lighting and code. It's basically... a much improved dotd :)

The map is based on rounds, you and your companions must survive and kill ALL the zombies that spawn (total zombies killed in a round is usually in the triple digits). As you complete each round, you get a 60 seconds to get to the gunshop where you can pick up new guns or refill ammo. Once you pick a gun, you wait in a room (complete with a shooting range, just for fun) until the 60 seconds are up -- and off you'll go into a new round with stronger/new enemies.

We will implement a life system just like in dotd, so the challenge is to see how many rounds you can complete without dying (or cheating). There will also be numerous sidequests you'll be able to do and you WILL be rewarded if you do them :)

Anyways, some screenies -- Keep in the mind, the map has changed quite a bit since I took these screenies (eg added a new garage, etc):

there's definately many games to choose from in the game store.

enjoy yourself in the small hotel while you can

upstairs in the hotel

looking at a corner of the city from inside a cybercafe

hmm, this place looks familiar

incomplete bank with vault -- working keypad! can you figure out the code?

the gunshop you'll be happy to retreat to between each round

get some target practice while you're waiting for the 60 seconds to pass

walking dead, my ass

inside the gunshop -- and yes -- guns are SOOOO american

there's no escape for this zombie -- do the sidequests and you may receive rewards like this APC

fending off more zombies

just one of the few new enemies you'll encounter in the city of the dead

Anyways, we're still adding more rounds and enemies -- And this is one of them:

A zombie doberman, like the ones in the Resident Evil series -- except this one is modelled by me :) The texture is mostly from Splinter Cell with lots of edits by me.

As you can see, the lighting is still a bit funky, but it will/should be fixed as we keep working on the map. The map still isn't completely decorated -- so not all the buildings are furnished yet. But I'm going to do my best to fill them up. Oh, i forgot to mention that when you begin the map -- it'll be pretty damn dark, all the street lights will be off and the buildings will be pretty dim too. If you break into the generator room, you'll be able to activate the power and then the map will be a bit more illuminated.

We need ideas for what we can do for some new rounds/enemies, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cpl. Slider101

• Modeller. Thing.
  • Gargantua
  • I like... stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: [SVEN] City of the Dead
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 02:44:27 PM »

Hehe, very nice! I might want to help you with models! Oh and by the way, the guns are not american  :D The SPAS 12 is from French and the H&K USP Match is from germany. Hehe  :D

[DOG]

• A Brain Eating...
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:16:33 AM »

Wow finaly a nother great zombie killing map for Sven Co
I like the whole rounds idea.  :D
But is that a zombie that creates shockwaves  :o (Some ones messing with genetics again)
Also I like that shotgun model never though Id like somthing that prob has less then 7000 polys
but that zombie dog umm looks Anorexic and a wolverine cross with a sick mini horse but the textures look good
Maby you can convince some one for some Hidef zombies though

Boon

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 12:05:09 PM »

It's a great idea, and I already like the looks of the map, but, how will noobs like me, will know where to find the gunshop after surviving a round. I can imagine myself running around, completley lost in the dark city  :-\
Maybe some signs, or big red modelled arrow, wich points to the gunshop, and only appears after the round is over.

Also, I don't think I would waste any ammo on a shooting range, when maybe those bullets could save me a few minutes later.

Just my thoughts! Keep up the good work!  ;)

[DOG]

• A Brain Eating...
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 03:23:33 PM »

I just noticed that part about life system like dotd has I hope you don't do like they did and put zombies that kill you in like 2 hits and only 10 slots to access the game map cause once you get 7 players on a server and 6 slots closed well you know how thats going to end  ::)

D3ads

• No one fucks with the
  • Gonarch
  • Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 02:34:09 AM »

Ok here are some constructive comments for you, hopefully you wont think I'm being too harsh:

- The lighting is horrid, too many point lights everywhere leaving shadows that make Doom 3 look fullbright. Invest in some time to learn how textured lights work, the results are much better than that of point based lighting.

- You're obviously using the Half-Life.wad for all textures, to make something like this look good you really need custom textures, I mean if you're making custom models it makes sense doesn't it? It's more work but the results are worth it in the end, the current texture set just doesn't work right imho. Also you've used textures in areas that don't suit that kind of material, ie in this shot:

It looks like a parking garage but the floor is tiled? ???

- The scale of things is massively off, especially when it comes to those lampposts, they're very chunky and unrealistic looking.

- The store in the second screenshot looks very odd, like there's only one item for sale...

- If this is DOTD then I'm assuming this is meant to be a city? Therefore you'd benefit from a new skybox with a metropolis theme.

- Lack of detail, this shot especially is very bland and empty looking, maybe add some computers in the room, some furniture, plants..?

- The gunshop looks very odd, I can't work out what is what but it doesn't look that much like a gun store!

The models are pretty cool anyway, I like the dog. Once you've got things really sorted, map models might be something to consider :)

James

• Throw THIS at THAT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gonarch
  • <3
    • View Profile
    • Resident Evil : Cold Blood
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »

Yeah, don't forget door frames, trims around things like doors, connections between 2 different intersecting walls, stair rails, bits of rubbish (models), crashed cars, manholes, corpses, just stuff like that.

PS: D3ads is the man when it comes to mapping, his comments will be more useful than mine.

D3ads

• No one fucks with the
  • Gonarch
  • Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 03:14:39 PM »

Haha, you are too kind sir :D

Ackart

• HL:E Group
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Arena!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 04:34:37 PM »

Check your lighting settings. It looks more like something out of Quake 1 right now than Half Life.

Coozins

• T-Virus carrier
  • Gonarch
  • What is this? What's going on here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 12:21:35 AM »

I agree with Minuit, add more detail and it'll look a lot nicer.

Biohaz@rd

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
    • The Last Citizen/ The Lost Survivor
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 09:51:41 AM »

IMHO the maps are way too wide. If you create narrow streets, it will be more difficult to avoid enemies (thus increasing difficulty) and you'll be able to control r_speeds more easily (you know, i'm pretty obsessed with r_speeds :P ). I could say some other things, but Minuit and D3ads already said most problems I can see at this moment.
BTW, the dog is nice although its position looks a bit odd.

PS:
The SPAS 12 is from French and the H&K USP Match is from germany. Hehe  :D
As far as I know, the SPAS is from Franchi so it's italian, not french 8)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:53:57 AM by Biohaz@rd »