HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back door mod Idea... need feedback  (Read 939 times)

jtanner28

• Houndeye
    • View Profile
Back door mod Idea... need feedback
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:12:20 AM »

Customod

The idea is simple: a modification of the server and client dlls for HL1 that allows for most of the game's features to be adjustable through CVARs or an ini file. Things like ammo counts, damage values, accuracy, number and type of weapons for the server dll. Things like the color, position, and behaviour of HUD elements for the client dll. Combine these dlls with new models, sprites, sounds, textures, maps, etc. to make a mod that looks and feels entirely different from the original. Additional features not currently present in the SDK could be added too like radar, invisibility, dash, specialized weapons effects, etc. The purpose of the modification would be to allow the average modder to create a unique mod without having to resort to altering the code. Maybe sprinkle in some code that references a registry entry or master file that will allow the modder to password protect his or her changes to prevent gamers from simply changing the CVARs and cheating. This would not be a seperate mod per se, rather a platform for mod creation. If the community has any interest in something like this, I'll devote my boundless energy and limited attention span to it. If not... well there's always freecell.  ;)

P.S. Here's a quick default steam splash for it... just random content.

[File not found]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:16:41 AM by jtanner28 »

technoblue

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: Back door mod Idea... need feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:30:49 AM »

You could also encrypt the files with a key/password. I believe Minuit wanted to do something similar so maybe you could team up? Anyway, its an awesome idea.