HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hello all, and a few questions about the project  (Read 3367 times)

GargantuanPillow

• Snark
    • View Profile
Hello all, and a few questions about the project
« on: August 26, 2007, 10:46:40 AM »

Greetings everyone

This is my first time posting here, but I'm not exactly new to the site, because I've been watching this project for about a year. Which brings up a few questions. I don't want any flame, any references, or any links in regards to my questions, just try to answer them to the best of your abilities, please. This is primarily for the people making HL:S:HD.

O.k., so I've been checking on this project for at least a year and it seems to me I've seen about 5 % progress on it, correct me if I'm wrong. I know you guys are working hard on this and trying to live life at the same time, but you've really got to tell us what's going on with this project besides a few model pictures (I've only seen a few) about once a month. There's plenty of people I know that have been asking these following questions, and I haven't been able to find answers to them anywhere in these forums, mainly because the people never get answers, just replies telling them to look at the Faqs. Up until now, I've been very patient with this project, but I'm sorry to say, the lack of feedback from the creators is getting a bit tedious.  Some of these questions haven't been asked yet at all. So here are my questions in regards to dozens of other people as well:

Forgive me if you HAVE posted AUTHENTIC answers to these questions before, so don't give me any flame.

Here they are:

1. Can you give a ROUGH ESTIMATE, i.e. a time of year? Such as Q1, Q2, etc, of when this project will be released. If you honestly have no clue what so ever, you could answer question 2. I know this has been asked numerous of times, but you guys have got to set the community straight. Life is just too short to come here once a month (if even that) and still see no news regarding to the project's progress, with the exception of a few new model pictures (which I must add, you guys are doing an outstanding job). And it seems some of the moderators have been holding back on this question just for kicks. If you honestly can't say when, please just say so. You see, it would make life easier for everyone that comes here in search of updates. So, by posting any type of release date, we will know WHEN to come back here, so we don't have to waste our time coming here only to pull a disappointment out of the mystery grab bag.

2. About how much percent of the project would you say is complete? 

3. Can you give a ROUGH ESTIMATE of how big the final download zip will be? I know you have already said at least 70 MB, but I'm talking about the final zip, because there are those of us with dial-up internet.

4. Is there going to be a total sound conversion to go with it? Or is it just going to be a few of the main sounds? Just for the record, I HAVE created a total sound conversion, with nearly every sound replaced with high def sounds, with the exception of original creature sounds and dialog that's not in Half-Life 2 (but not every new sound is from Half-Life 2). I would be glad to upload it for anyone, but I have dial up and it would take years. If there is a better way to upload it, tell me.

5. Is the bonus pack going to be a separate zip? Or is it going to be all rolled into one?

6. What websites will you submit this file for download at?

7. How would you say the game looks to you so far? Is it as new and polished as Half-Life 2, while still having the HL1 feel? Is it mediocre? Etc...

8. I currently have Stone's HD pack for my game, and I must say that I am impressed with his chrome weapon skins. So for the record, are you going to use the default (or Gearbox HD pack) gun models, with different skins? Or are the gun models going to be completely different? Because you said you wanted to keep the mod authentic to the original game.

9. This may seem like a stupid question, but is the game going to have additional physics to objects? Or is it going to remain with just NPC physics?

10. Are you replacing EVERY texture/model in the game? Or just a selected few?

Thank you for any replies.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 01:47:12 PM by GargantuanPillow »

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
Re: Hello all, and a few questions about the project
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:27:16 PM »

1 - 3: No, no, no.

4: as far as I know.. not a complete sound overhaul.. some of the important/common, IE, grunt, weapon sounds, ect, might get redone, but not all sounds.

5 - 7: can't help ya, sorry.

8: pretty sure they'll be all new models, mostly.

9: not sure

10: not sure what's planned, but they ARE remaking a good portion of the textures.

GargantuanPillow

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 11:43:47 PM »

Today was actually the first day I saw the Black Mesa: Source previews. I must say that I'm looking more forward to the project you guys are making. Looking at the picture of the BM:S "Surface Tension" dam I nearly shat my heart out. Although it was very pretty, it completely butchered the feel of the first game.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:45:59 PM by GargantuanPillow »

Coozins

• T-Virus carrier
  • Gonarch
  • What is this? What's going on here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:05:44 PM »

Really? I think it really seems like it'll keep the feel of the original. It's sort of like what Black Mesa should have been, as it looks kind of linear in Half-Life.

Barnz

• French Fries
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 04:17:59 PM »

It's like Doom 3 meets Half-Life.

GargantuanPillow

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 10:22:48 PM »

I will play Black Mesa eventually, if I can find the time to download 4 GB.

Aydin

• The full metal alchemist
  • DoC Development Team
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 12:47:50 PM »

it Aint gonna be a 4gb download is it? skit skit bang bang, they have giant compression tools for that, even so i guess it will be pretty lengthy

GargantuanPillow

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 05:14:14 AM »

They say it's going to be pretty big, at least 2 GB right now, and probably more by the time of release. It would be sweet if Valve would sponsor the project, that way they could market it for retail.

sappy

• HL:S:HD modeler
  • Gargantua
  • toss the salad
    • View Profile
    • moddb profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 08:45:19 AM »

Greetings everyone

This is my first time posting here, but I'm not exactly new to the site, because I've been watching this project for about a year. Which brings up a few questions. I don't want any flame, any references, or any links in regards to my questions, just try to answer them to the best of your abilities, please. This is primarily for the people making HL:S:HD.

O.k., so I've been checking on this project for at least a year and it seems to me I've seen about 5 % progress on it, correct me if I'm wrong. I know you guys are working hard on this and trying to live life at the same time, but you've really got to tell us what's going on with this project besides a few model pictures (I've only seen a few) about once a month. There's plenty of people I know that have been asking these following questions, and I haven't been able to find answers to them anywhere in these forums, mainly because the people never get answers, just replies telling them to look at the Faqs. Up until now, I've been very patient with this project, but I'm sorry to say, the lack of feedback from the creators is getting a bit tedious.  Some of these questions haven't been asked yet at all. So here are my questions in regards to dozens of other people as well:

Forgive me if you HAVE posted AUTHENTIC answers to these questions before, so don't give me any flame.

Here they are:

1. Can you give a ROUGH ESTIMATE, i.e. a time of year? Such as Q1, Q2, etc, of when this project will be released. If you honestly have no clue what so ever, you could answer question 2. I know this has been asked numerous of times, but you guys have got to set the community straight. Life is just too short to come here once a month (if even that) and still see no news regarding to the project's progress, with the exception of a few new model pictures (which I must add, you guys are doing an outstanding job). And it seems some of the moderators have been holding back on this question just for kicks. If you honestly can't say when, please just say so. You see, it would make life easier for everyone that comes here in search of updates. So, by posting any type of release date, we will know WHEN to come back here, so we don't have to waste our time coming here only to pull a disappointment out of the mystery grab bag.
Actually news post were as regular as once every week before I started to work in the University I study at. Any estimates will just as a statement from Valve about a rough release date, if ya get me.
2. About how much percent of the project would you say is complete?
Not at the current time. The roughes thing to say, though still being a long shot is: we might get v2 done this year.
3. Can you give a ROUGH ESTIMATE of how big the final download zip will be? I know you have already said at least 70 MB, but I'm talking about the final zip, because there are those of us with dial-up internet.
Truly a hard one such answer could be given only at the door step of a release date.
4. Is there going to be a total sound conversion to go with it? Or is it just going to be a few of the main sounds? Just for the record, I HAVE created a total sound conversion, with nearly every sound replaced with high def sounds, with the exception of original creature sounds and dialog that's not in Half-Life 2 (but not every new sound is from Half-Life 2). I would be glad to upload it for anyone, but I have dial up and it would take years. If there is a better way to upload it, tell me.
You could contact Besli , bout that sound thing, at present time models and textures are the main goal. And one more thing: There shall be NO hl2 content, whatsoever in HL:S:HD, keep that in mind.
5. Is the bonus pack going to be a separate zip? Or is it going to be all rolled into one?
I believe a separate zip.
6. What websites will you submit this file for download at?
We have a friendly offer sent to us bu half-life_creations a while back we'll see. Until we get close to finalising v2 nothing is concrete.
7. How would you say the game looks to you so far? Is it as new and polished as Half-Life 2, while still having the HL1 feel? Is it mediocre? Etc...
I'd say still havin' the HL1 feel with some nice HD spice ;) . We are not BlackMesa, our goal is to keep it HL1 feelish , not make it up to HL2 standarts.
8. I currently have Stone's HD pack for my game, and I must say that I am impressed with his chrome weapon skins. So for the record, are you going to use the default (or Gearbox HD pack) gun models, with different skins? Or are the gun models going to be completely different? Because you said you wanted to keep the mod authentic to the original game.
;)
9. This may seem like a stupid question, but is the game going to have additional physics to objects? Or is it going to remain with just NPC physics?
It is possible, we are also thinking of replacing some brush stuff with models.
10. Are you replacing EVERY texture/model in the game? Or just a selected few?
The idea of the pack being as much as we can. I'd love if we are able to update IT ALL models, textures etc.

Thank you for any replies.
You are welcome

GargantuanPillow

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 03:53:39 PM »

"Not at the current time. The roughes thing to say, though still being a long shot is: we might get v2 done this year."

That bad, huh? Well, you guys take all the time you need, as long as you keep us updated a little more often. At least we'll have Half-Life 2: Episode Two, TF2, and Portal, to tide us over  ;). (All released on Oct. 9, if anyone was wondering)

sappy

• Gargantua
  • toss the salad
    • View Profile
    • moddb profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 05:54:44 PM »

"Not at the current time. The roughes thing to say, though still being a long shot is: we might get v2 done this year."

That bad, huh? Well, you guys take all the time you need, as long as you keep us updated a little more often. At least we'll have Half-Life 2: Episode Two, TF2, and Portal, to tide us over  ;). (All released on Oct. 9, if anyone was wondering)
I would say keep an eye around we are preparing some news updates and stuf, in the near month or so  ;) .
A few small hints can be found here

Frraksurred

• Team HL:S:HD
  • Gonarch
  • ~ More Hi-Deffier ~
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Ambassadors
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 08:17:15 PM »

As former Team Manager I cannot "officially" answer all your questions, but I will answer what I can.

1,2 & 3.) Unfortunately our team is currently incomplete.  We have made great strides in some areas and barely a single step in others.  For the most part the majority of the original members have moved on to other things and have little to do with this project anymore.  From a leaders perspective it felt as if internal interest had died... this had a lot to do with why I resigned.  After two years of trying to stir up motivation, or find new member who were interested, I had to say enough was enough.  This is not to say nothing has been done, HL:S:HD certainly has members that are excited and eager... but they can only do so much.  We need new talent, we need additional talent and we need a dedicated leader with the vision and commitment to organize it all.  Without that (in my opinion) this mod is destined to die just like so many others around it... and that would be a shame.

4.) No.  A few additional sounds have been added, but that is all.

5.) Seperate.  It will be released after 2.0 (this info is already in the FAQ).

6.) The usual suspects: Planethalflife.com (Fileplanet), Halflife2.net, Fileshack, FileFront, etc.  You get the picture.

7.) The game looks like a improved PS2 version of the game.  Once the bugs are fixed, it will be very polished (In the FAQ).

8.) We are using improved community made models that are based on the PS2 release; vastly improved over Gearbox Blue Shift HD release (In the FAQ).

9.) No.  We are doing NO CODING, this is a content replacement project only (In the FAQ).

10.) No.  Our texture pack was actually another project that merged with us.  It replaces over 300 textures in the game, but that represents about 1% in the big picture (In the FAQ).

We used to have picture threads showing a lot of this media off, but when I left a lot of that went with me.  No one has taken the initiative since, but if we can manage to find a few new members hopefully that will change.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 08:47:08 PM by Frraksurred »

sappy

• Gargantua
  • toss the salad
    • View Profile
    • moddb profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 08:18:11 AM »

We're currently going to do some regrouping and  stuff , reorganizing priorities etc. as I said there will pretty soon be a nice NEW news post with some pics and info about how we're doing and what we're doing  ;)
The pics and vids thread will also get considered, in my opinion we need that done again, but in a slightly different manner.  Just keep tight and be ready because I can say that MOD ain't going down the drain no time soon.

Besli

• Mr. Database
  • Gonarch
  • Mr. Database! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 02:07:28 PM »

Sorry I was very busy (with real life), and wasn't very often and much online!
But I am not dead! ;)

Most of the questions are answered as I can read above.
But I will also give some answers:

4.) No. Maybe if there is a great talent that will make some sounds for HL:S, we could discuss this again.
But the actual sounds are very good (I think).

8.) First we used improved PS2 models, converted from Goldsorce to Source.
But later there was some nice recreated models (like Quads Crowbar, or Sproilys Snarks),
so we also started to recreate some other models, because there are no HD models
we could use to improve the original LD models.

So HL:S:HD has a feel of the good old HL and a brand new (different) feeling too!

We do have some great and very talented people that are actually working on HL:S:HD.
Sappy is doing some great new models, and I hope H4wK will skin them.
I think Sappy is the one who is the hardest working man in our Team at the moment.
Flower of Naivety is doing some great new textures, I really like the look of his textures.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 02:59:35 PM by Besli »