HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Half-Life 2 model's VTFs not loading  (Read 2670 times)

Coozins

• T-Virus carrier
  • Gonarch
  • What is this? What's going on here?
    • View Profile
Custom Half-Life 2 model's VTFs not loading
« on: January 13, 2008, 06:35:46 PM »

I ported the Beretta from Opposing Force Redux to Half-Life: Source, and everything works fine apart from the VTFs. They won't load. I know there's nothing wrong with the path to the model's materials, because the VMTs load (Gordon's nice pink chequered gloves are shiny), just not the VTFs.
Anybody have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

SaxonSwine

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Half-Life 2 model's VTFs not loading
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 08:08:03 PM »

Obviously the VMTs are fine, and the shaders specified in the VMT files are fine.
I suspect that the file path for the VTF is not correctly specified in the VMT - its an easy enough mistake to make, and is one which I still make!

Coozins

• T-Virus carrier
  • Gonarch
  • What is this? What's going on here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 08:32:04 PM »

Ah yes, this has solved it. Thanks. Now I can get on the case of replacing Half-Life: Source stuff.

Gravewrecker

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 04:21:39 PM »

How do you port stuff from half-life to hl:s?? Did you have a tutorial, or can you tell me how, and what stuff I need!
If I'd knew how to do that, I'd even buy Hl:Source ;D

SaxonSwine

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 05:18:05 PM »

It depend what you want to port.  Fortunately porting pretty much anything is really easy
For WAD files, Hammer converts those to VTF files
Maps are just straight imported into Hammer, you can change the entities manually or use MapFool to convert entities for you :D http://www.peppyfool.com/page15.htm  Mapping is basically the same as before, though there are lots more things you can do in Source Hammer
Using VTF viewer you can import BMP files from bitmaps to make VTF files
SMDs are basically the same in HL2, you just need to add vertex weights to them.  Models are compiled through STEAM now; QCs may need some tinkering to fit the Source format (see the example QC files in the Source SDK)

Pretty much every tool you would want can be found here http://www.wunderboy.org/sourceapps.php

Gravewrecker

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 05:19:29 PM »

I'm mostly interested in model converting, .vtf->bmp. no problem with that, but could you please explain me how I decompile source models?
And how to change the files to .smd for goldsource. I appreciate your help.

SaxonSwine

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 05:39:48 PM »

For VTF > BMP, use VTF edit (which can be found on the wunderboy link above).  Just export the VTFs to BMP.

To decompile source models, you need to install the Source SDK.  Open Steam, go to "Tools", and install the Source SDK.
Then get Cannonfodder's Source Model Decompiler http://chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.htm
Use that to decompile the models (you need to have the Source SDK running for the decompiler to work)

Decompiled models generate SMDs which are basically the same format as HL1 SMDs.  Import these into 3DSMax/MS3D/etc.

Gravewrecker

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:46:27 AM »

I actually meant, vtf to bmp converting wouldn't be a problem for me, I know how to do that. ;D
Well, BIG thank you for helping me! I'm gonna try it out. I'll PM you if I need help. (If you don't mind, that is)

DiamonD

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 12:23:27 PM »

For VTF > BMP, use VTF edit (which can be found on the wunderboy link above).  Just export the VTFs to BMP.

To decompile source models, you need to install the Source SDK.  Open Steam, go to "Tools", and install the Source SDK.
Then get Cannonfodder's Source Model Decompiler http://chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.htm
Use that to decompile the models (you need to have the Source SDK running for the decompiler to work)

Decompiled models generate SMDs which are basically the same format as HL1 SMDs.  Import these into 3DSMax/MS3D/etc.

man I would LOVE to make my hl pak into a hl:s pack :D

I have a question though. Will decompiling with cannonfodder's decomp. skrew UVs like hl1 decompilers?

jack-wonrz

• Stomped by a Noble Prancing
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 01:23:12 PM »

It will screw em up even worse  ;D The entire uvmap will slide right below the texture. Source doesn't seem to mind though, so in order to fix, you just need to tick an option in VtfEdit (cant remember which one, but it should be quite self-explainatory), and save your texture with it.

DiamonD

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 07:40:05 PM »

ok so if it can be fixed I'll do that in the near future ; omg 1000000 models to port :(

Whatever. It's never been done, so will do. :P

jack-wonrz

• Stomped by a Noble Prancing
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 07:42:32 PM »

Actually, it's being done by HL:S HD team.

DiamonD

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 07:44:57 PM »

I know, but I'm still gonna port my paks into source in the near future once I get a better computer. I just find the hl:s HD team a little inactive atm.