HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Knock Knock  (Read 6280 times)

Frraksurred

• Team HL:S:HD
  • Gonarch
  • ~ More Hi-Deffier ~
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Ambassadors
Re: Knock Knock
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 03:27:49 AM »

Ok, a little late, but I told you there would be pictures.  I've only purchased a few items so far.  Buying as money allows and starting with the things I can use in my existing system while the new one gets built.

First, for the visual experience... a 30" Gateway XHD3000.  The first pic compares new to old; the other two are installed.

The second is a card to push the above's native 2560x1600 resolution; a 9800 GTX.  Once the new GT280 moves to a 55nm process and drops in price some I plan to upgrade to it to aleviate some of my high res AA and AF restrictions.

My Klipsch 5.1's finally died, so for sound I went with the Logitech Z-5500's.

Lastly we have the new case for the upcoming rig, a Cosmos S.  This is a full size case so I have ROOOOM.  Second pic compares it with my existing midsize.

Obviously I still have a long ways to go.  The next step is Mobo, CPU and RAM.  Then PSU, OS and HDD's.  I have plans after that (multi-monitor display), but we'll see how this goes first.

--

As far as HL:S:HD goes, I haven't seen any updates lately.  Are there any?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:31:03 AM by Frraksurred »

Nige111

• Gonarch
  • Metal Gea.. I mean.. Shagohod?!
    • View Profile
    • Cake :D
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 03:30:18 AM »

I'm getting a 9800GTX at christmas, you'll haveto tell me if they're worth it. :3

Frraksurred

• Gonarch
  • ~ More Hi-Deffier ~
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Ambassadors
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 03:40:45 AM »

I'm getting a 9800GTX at christmas, you'll haveto tell me if they're worth it. :3

With Christmas being 6 months away yet, I'd make two suggestions.  The 9800 GTX+ is coming out in July.  It is the same card but with a 55nm chip instead of a 65nm chip.  This means it will run cooler, use less electricity and have more over-clocking headroom.  It will also be less money, to the tune of $230.  My other suggestion is to buy the new GT260.  It is about $400 right now, but by Christmas will probably be about $100 less.  It outperforms the 9800 GTX in every real world benchmark I've read so far.  The GT 280 is even better, but at $650 it is currently a rip-off.

As far as how the 9800 GTX performs, I've used it for three weeks now and it runs all my games at their highest settings (even at 2560x1600) smoothly, except Crysis.  That means Vegas 2, Mass Effect, CoD4 and UT3.  Crysis runs with everything on "High" at that res, but my frame rates drop to near slide show at times.  If you are not running a huge monitor, then it will probably suit you just fine.

Weavile

• Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 09:23:09 AM »

Whoa nice speakers. I hope you're hooking it up via a TOSLINK cable because using analog on that is a big waste. I still prefer this:

http://www.youtube.com/v/7CZQxnx2vU4&hl=en

Nige111

• Gonarch
  • Metal Gea.. I mean.. Shagohod?!
    • View Profile
    • Cake :D
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 11:39:52 AM »

With Christmas being 6 months away yet, I'd make two suggestions.  The 9800 GTX+ is coming out in July.  It is the same card but with a 55nm chip instead of a 65nm chip.  This means it will run cooler, use less electricity and have more over-clocking headroom.  It will also be less money, to the tune of $230.  My other suggestion is to buy the new GT260.  It is about $400 right now, but by Christmas will probably be about $100 less.  It outperforms the 9800 GTX in every real world benchmark I've read so far.  The GT 280 is even better, but at $650 it is currently a rip-off.

As far as how the 9800 GTX performs, I've used it for three weeks now and it runs all my games at their highest settings (even at 2560x1600) smoothly, except Crysis.  That means Vegas 2, Mass Effect, CoD4 and UT3.  Crysis runs with everything on "High" at that res, but my frame rates drop to near slide show at times.  If you are not running a huge monitor, then it will probably suit you just fine.

Excellent, I'm running at 1280x1024 anyway atm, so I wouldn't imagine it would struggle with much.

edit: perhaps I may get a GX2, but are those GT260 and 280 cards better? I've never heard of them, are they ATI?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:42:43 AM by Nige111 »

Frraksurred

• Gonarch
  • ~ More Hi-Deffier ~
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Ambassadors
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 06:28:11 PM »

No ATI's new cards are called 4850 and 4870, respectively.  The GT 260 and GT 280 are Nvidia's brand new cards, just released.  The GT 280 equals the performance of a 9800 GX2, to give you an idea.  However, like I said eariler, they are priced in the sky right now.

Btw, I still use my headphones quite a bit.  A pair of TurtleBeach HPA1 5.1's. (can catch a glimpse in the second monitor shot above).  I am using the Toslink connection, as well as the digital coax for my HD DVD player.  The built-in Dolby DTS Decoder works great!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:30:28 PM by Frraksurred »

Fredy

• Romka's shitter
  • Alien Grunt
  • Gaygaygaygaygay
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 01:20:21 AM »

The new ATI card are very impressive IMO, Nvidia's new cards lack the wow factor and cost alot compared to the new ATI one's and these cost WAY less that those and perform very closely to Nvidia's in the benchmark's.
That's coming from a Nvidia fanboy.At 1280x1024, you don't need a powerhouse, a 8800gt or 4850 would serve you well.The 9 series is just the g92(revision of g80) with a new name on it.Though Nvidia is gonna have PhysX support (drivers for the gt280 and gt260 are out,8 and 9 series support is coming).

Pages: 1 [2]