HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: A fresh perspective... ? (looking for ideas)  (Read 20246 times)

Greaser

• Sven Co-op Testing Team
  • Gonarch
  • I want to move to Sweden one day.
    • View Profile
Re: A fresh perspective... ? (looking for ideas)
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2008, 05:48:56 PM »

Wtf, there's -nothing- on that war. Literally. There's some references to it, but.. otherwise. Nothin.

Besides, you wouldn't be fighting Combine Soldiers + Elites, those came -after- the war. We're talkin about Combine Synths, xen beings, baby! Not Combine Elites toting OSPIRs + SPAS12 shotguns.

Perhaps at some point you'd get your hands on an Abrams? :D :D :D
I just wish it won't be too HL2-like... I prefer OP4-like. And I guess you do too.  ;)

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 05:55:54 PM »

I just wish it won't be too HL2-like... I prefer OP4-like. And I guess you do too.  ;)

Damn right I do. Just as long as it doesn't have... Otis.

Hm

I'll write up a quick idea when i get home, gotta go now. :/

Barnz

• French Fries
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 07:22:13 PM »

Is that the one which got cancelled?  I remember years ago seeing a promising looking Black Ops mod, which sadly was never seen again.

Laurie Cheers (founder of SOHL) and some other coder guy were programming for the mod (you can find some of the code done for DT in SOHL builds). They had some amazing levels in their hands.

D3ads

• No one fucks with the
  • Gonarch
  • Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 11:33:29 PM »

SaxonSwine

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2008, 09:36:23 PM »

Roffle!

I will reiterate though - give your character a reason to be who they are, don't make "yet another lone survivor" story, if that is the case, you might as well throw the storyline out of the window, and say "This is Derek Cheeseman from Cheesey Cheese PLC, he was at Black Mesa during the resonance cascade.  Everyone around him died, but like millions of other people in the BMRF, he managed to kill thousands of aliens, and personally destroy an entire batallion of US Soliders - all the while only being armed with a crowbar".

If you want to go down the storyline route, add other NPCs.  Given how shit the AI is in Half Life, you'll want to separate NPCs who are important to the storyline.

If you want to do something set in the 7 Hour War, I would recommend making your mod in HL2 - there are tonnes of good useable models on FPSBanana you could use for that (eg these guys for US Soldiers http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/42423 or these guys http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/11397 etc)

Spawn

• Houndeye
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2008, 10:17:05 PM »

Thanks SaxonSwine. I would want the mod to be a little unique in the storyline department. I myself find the lone surviver storyline a little bit 'repetitive' now.

I would definitely make the move to Half-Life 2 if I were to do a mod based on the 7 Hour War. Seeing Half-Life 2's popularity at the moment, and my interest in the 7 Hour War itself I may in fact move onto that. Either that, or a mod set just after.
(Where all major military forces on earth have been obliterated. Leftover human military forces in the world fight hopelessly. It would also give one a chance to introduce the trans-human combine soldiers to a human for the first time. It could all be fairly interesting)

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2008, 10:32:27 PM »

Thanks SaxonSwine. I would want the mod to be a little unique in the storyline department. I myself find the lone surviver storyline a little bit 'repetitive' now.

I would definitely make the move to Half-Life 2 if I were to do a mod based on the 7 Hour War. Seeing Half-Life 2's popularity at the moment, and my interest in the 7 Hour War itself I may in fact move onto that. Either that, or a mod set just after.
(Where all major military forces on earth have been obliterated. Leftover human military forces in the world fight hopelessly. It would also give one a chance to introduce the trans-human combine soldiers to a human for the first time. It could all be fairly interesting)

I like the way you think!

Spawn

• Houndeye
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2008, 11:12:53 PM »

I like the way you think!
Heh, I'm glad!  :D
I will actually most likely end up moving over to Source, and will work on a 7 Hour War oriented mod. Most likely having it set just after the war, where the combine begin to develop a fortified foothold on the planet, and begin to create their trans-human soldiers.

I'll plan out a few ideas and storylines when I get a chance tomorrow. I'm actually really interested in the war now.
Thanks very much KylerAdams for the suggestion, and for perking my interest.   ;)

Oh, thanks to all of you who helped. I will still bear your thoughts and ideas in mind.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 11:14:26 PM by Spawn »

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 11:36:27 PM »

Heh, I'm glad!  :D
I will actually most likely end up moving over to Source, and will work on a 7 Hour War oriented mod. Most likely having it set just after the war, where the combine begin to develop a fortified foothold on the planet, and begin to create their trans-human soldiers.

I'll plan out a few ideas and storylines when I get a chance tomorrow. I'm actually really interested in the war now.
Thanks very much KylerAdams for the suggestion, and for perking my interest.   ;)

Oh, thanks to all of you who helped. I will still bear your thoughts and ideas in mind.

You have MSN? If so, what is it? I've got some ideas to run by you. :P

Greaser

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 01:27:22 PM »

Why can't people stay with good old HL1?

jack-wonrz

• Stomped by a Noble Prancing
  • Gargantua
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »

Try making a 7 Hours war mod without striders and gunships, and for whatnot the code and capabilities Source has, and you'll understand why. Source is better engine with better capabilities, and less limitations for putting out desiger's imagination.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 03:24:19 PM by wonrz »

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2008, 03:41:04 PM »

Why can't people stay with good old HL1?
HL1 is good for some things. But not huge battles within cities

Greaser

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2008, 03:41:41 PM »

I know, guys. That's why I didn't want 7-hour war.  :(

Spawn

• Houndeye
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »

Okay, I've decided to stick to GoldSrc and Black Mesa for now.  :D
Just getting things together.

If you guys have any more suggestions on things you'd like to see. Please, feel free to let me know.

Body

• Houndeye
  • MISTAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2008, 06:20:44 PM »

Play with a chef like Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal) in "Under Siege". Or with a terrorist who want steal something from Blackmesa, paranoia SDK is perfect to this, have radio, human enemies, xen enemies, friends, great graphics, weapons, etc.  :o
Btw have any mod with these black dressed soldiers?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5