HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Operation Black Mesa Media  (Read 14550 times)

DragonNOR

• Snark
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Black Mesa Media
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2008, 11:28:07 AM »

Thank you admin :)

So...IF, let's say i was interested in getting on the team, would there be any specific area you would want remade as a application  ;) ?
I specialize in indoor areas for your information, outdoor environments is not my forté.

The standard assignment for all mappers has been the first area, but that ones a bit used up by now ^^
I'd recommend doing a remake of the 'Crush Depth' chapter if you want to apply to the team. For starters its a very interesting area and lots of fun can be done with it :D
Apart from that, "We are pulling out" and "Missing in action" are also cool indoor maps, so if you feel like redoing one, take your pick  ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »

I think the main problem is that people were expecting something similar to the quality from Black Mesa Source.
But that mod has been in development for quite along time, and has attracted a lot talented people to it.

If you are enjoying making your mod then don't let people get you down just because they expected something better, or different. With time I am sure you will make improvements. Besides, from the media I have seen, it's looking a lot better than some of the mods being developed.

You will nearly always get some people who bitch, especially when remaking something that a lot of people enjoyed with the original.

Lt.Havoc

• Gun nut and Monster Hunter
  • Vortigaunt
  • "Doing what I can, with what I've got."
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2008, 01:24:03 PM »

I agree with Matt here and I think thats what I treid to say in my last post here. So, anyway, give it time and let them do thier work and the mod will become good.

Shooter__Andy

• Idea Generator
  • Gargantua
  • ZombieEd. dev.
    • View Profile
    • Shooter__Andy's HomePage (in russian)
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2008, 02:11:26 PM »

Anyway, that's very good that mod devs came here, read it all and agreed, at least partially. As for the BMS team... Aww, you know.

vaynecactus

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »

Fredy, if you wish to apply for this, go to our forums and make an application on our respective board. :)

I think the main problem is that people were expecting something similar to the quality from Black Mesa Source.
But that mod has been in development for quite along time, and has attracted a lot talented people to it.

Yeah, that's really my point, I guess some people really were hoping for something comparable to BMS, but that isint how it works in the mod scene, unfortunately. However, future updates on our media progress will fill that expectation gap, im sure. ;)

You will nearly always get some people who bitch, especially when remaking something that a lot of people enjoyed with the original.

It's not a problem at all, although some of the comments here were quite hurtful to the amount of work we have put in, we do not take them personally and view them as feedback on our media, like any other. :)

However, we can only react and build on constructive feedback, of course. :)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 02:15:28 PM by vaynecactus »

vaynecactus

• Snark
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2008, 02:14:21 PM »

You guys dont seem to get on well with each other? :D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 02:20:49 PM by vaynecactus »

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2008, 04:10:28 PM »

You guys dont seem to get on well with each other? :D

You have -no- idea man.

your evil twin

• The Official Half-Life Guru
  • Gonarch
  • I eat Xen Crystals for breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Planet Half-Life
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2008, 06:06:34 PM »

I'm glad to see that Operation Black Mesa is alive and kicking!

It seems a bit daft to see people criticizing the quality of certain models. I'm personally not a fan of the soldier's body armour and would be happier seeing something similar to Gearbox's high definition hgrunts, but the models certainly don't look BAD to me. Just a different style to what I would expect. (Really not too sure about those soldier pads.)

I like the shock trooper. And the houndeye looks fine too, though perhaps a little dark. Slightly lighter skin would make it look a little more like the original, but it doesn't bother me.

I've no problem with these supposed "FaceGen" heads. The grunts in Opposing Force are totally generic characters that you only see for a minute or two, so I see no problem with automatically generated generic heads. They look perfectly human to me. And indeed I'm pretty sure I've seen plenty of retail games that have faces just as generic. They don't look any better or worse than the sort of stuff that is in Quake 4 or the player models for Battlefield 2.

As for criticisms that the infirmary doesn't look much like an infirmary... it's true that the screenshots don't look much like an infirmary, but I'm pretty sure that only the very first area where the player wakes up is an infirmary. Once you've got your vest on and Otis has let you through the door it isn't an infirmary anymore. Within moments you are in an area that has labs with crazy laser experiments, and leaking tubes full of glowing green stuff. As long as the first rooms and corridors with the CAT scanner and scientists examining zombies and headcrabs looks like an infirmary, then there's no problem.

The main thing is that I'm happy Opposing Force is being remade. Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 06:08:11 PM by your evil twin »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]