HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Falling physics  (Read 5922 times)

J-Man

• Too busy for anything
  • Alien Grunt
  • I need to stop posting firestarter threads.
    • View Profile
Falling physics
« on: July 18, 2008, 03:34:42 AM »

I was thinking it would be cool if you could lessen your falling damage by crouching a split second before/after you hit the ground.

It would give a bit of realism too.

technoblue

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: Falling physics
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 04:30:39 AM »

You can already do that believe it or not.

In an attempt to discover how the jump bug functions, we must first break down the CS engine. The Counter-Strike engine uses two different collision models. In this case the upper collision model is located slightly above the lower one, and as long as the upper collision model does not make contact with the ground, then the player will not take fall damage.
If you use +duck the lower collision model will drop down about 4 units. The funny thing is, that this is the exact collision model used for the +jump command too, so if you duck while you are falling down and jump off within an area of 4 units above the ground, you`ve never touched the ground for the engine. You have to release the +duck key (to move the collision box back up) and jump at the very same moment, about 0.01 seconds before you would touch the ground and die, to trigger the bug and land without taking any damage.

Summing-Up: You have to jump, fall down, duck (hold the duck key), jump and release duck at the very same moment (at the place you are supposed to land).

The rest of the article can be found here: http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.74

Half-life and counter-strike use the same engine, and I am sure the collision models are essentially the same.

J-Man

• Too busy for anything
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 07:00:48 PM »

wow, thats confusing. But the physics will be different for hl:e, will they not?

Plus, thats a bug. I'm suggesting a feature  ;)

Anton

• -
  • Gonarch
  • -
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 12:36:43 AM »

Hm, in real life you would crouch(roll) right after you hit the ground really.

Also, I don't think player physics are a part of any real physics system, but rather inputs outputs, modes and acceleration. Which means it basically wouldn't change anything just because they have novodex inplemented. Only if matt thinks walking, running, jumping, falling, etc etc, feels retarded.

Coozins

• T-Virus carrier
  • Gonarch
  • What is this? What's going on here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »

http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.74

Sigh, another person/article that thinks that Half-Life is a Counter Strike mod...

User with the dancing badger

• HIT's Resident Programmer.
  • Gonarch
  • ~= Master Of Mess =~
    • View Profile
    • HostileZone
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »

It is. :P

It would be cool if you could hold crouch and a move key to roll in that direction upon landing, also taking less damage.

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 06:33:31 PM »

Sigh, another person/article that thinks that Half-Life is a Counter Strike mod...

You're serious?!

Coozins

• T-Virus carrier
  • Gonarch
  • What is this? What's going on here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »

It seems to be fairly common for people who play CS more than HL to say that HL is a CS mod.

technoblue

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 01:29:44 AM »

It seems to be fairly common for people who play CS more than HL to say that HL is a CS mod.

Yeah, tis a shame really. Just like some people think that half-life 2 and counter-strike source are two completely different games and not that 1 is a mod of another. They are very different obviously but they run off the same engine.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:35:21 AM by technoblue »

pooperoni_pizza

• Gargantua
  • Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 12:36:29 AM »

I use gardening shears to castrate people who think Half-Life is a Counter Strike mod.

I however have no problem with the falling physics the way they are now. Just try not to jump from too high up and if you have to, try to land in water if you can. Remember kids, 1 mm of water will save you from a 1,000,000,000,000 km fall ;)

Ackart

• HL:E Group
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Arena!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »

Just like some people think that half-life 2 and counter-strike source are two completely different games and not that 1 is a mod of another.

You're right. Because Unreal Tournament 3? Total Gears of War mod. Half Life? Simple Quake mod.

J-Man

• Too busy for anything
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 02:11:19 AM »

You're right. Because Unreal Tournament 3? Total Gears of War mod. Half Life? Simple Quake mod.

Technically, Ackart, GOW is a UT3 mod. After all, it is the Unreal engine.

toadie

• Tango Two Kilo
  • Vice Champeen
  • Gonarch
  • I died a little inside...
    • View Profile
    • Toadie's Ranthole on the Interblag
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 03:59:52 AM »

J-Man, he was being sarcastic to point out the flaw in technoblue's logic. Very Sarcastic.

J-Man

• Too busy for anything
  • Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 04:25:42 AM »

I know. I was pointing out an error in his sarcasm.

CSS is a mod of HL2 just like CS is a mod of HL.

Most Source engine "games" are nothing but stand alone mods of HL2. What Ackart said is WRONG. Most of the time Mods=/=Engine sharing games, but Source (idk about TF2) is all a HL2 mod. My proof: You can summon HL2 NPCs in (almost) any source game (idk about TF2)

Ackart

• HL:E Group
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Arena!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 05:53:38 AM »

I know. I was pointing out an error in his sarcasm.

CSS is a mod of HL2 just like CS is a mod of HL.

Most Source engine "games" are nothing but stand alone mods of HL2. What Ackart said is WRONG. Most of the time Mods=/=Engine sharing games, but Source (idk about TF2) is all a HL2 mod. My proof: You can summon HL2 NPCs in (almost) any source game (idk about TF2)

Error? Once again, by your logic Half Life 1 is a Quake mod.  They both use the same engine, after all.

Counter Strike Source is built on it's own codebase of the Source base. It has it's own code for weapons, it has it's own art files. It has it's own god damned executable and it's own box in the store where you go and buy it. This is the point where something stops being a mod and starts being a game based on the same engine as another game. Same with, oh, Gears of War. So you're wrong on both accounts. Stop being wrong.
Pages: [1] 2