HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Falling physics  (Read 6645 times)

J-Man

• Too busy for anything
  • Alien Grunt
  • I need to stop posting firestarter threads.
    • View Profile
Re: Falling physics
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 06:20:32 AM »

No, your still wrong. Qengine 1 =/= Gold source. Gears of war may be correct but idk about Ue3.

CSS runs off of a HL2.exe on my install. That screams mod.

BTW can we get back on topic?

technoblue

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 11:24:39 AM »

CSS runs off of a HL2.exe on my install. That screams mod.

They run off separate executable's, unless you are playing it illegally?

Besides, CSS and Half-Life 2 both run dependently on the Source Engine, not on each other, hence my previous statement being made of fail. i.e, they are separate entities. Just because CS started out as a mod for Half-life 1 doesn't mean CSS is a mod for Half-Life 2...

Ackart

• HL:E Group
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Arena!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »

No, your still wrong. Qengine 1 =/= Gold source. Gears of war may be correct but idk about Ue3.

How much money do you wanna bet that the Quake engine is in no way related to GoldSrc? I'll take PayPal or money orders.

Also, more holes for your flawed argument.

None of Valve's Source games use a codebase of HL2. They use just the barebones Source-source code and work up from there. That's why the "HL2.exe" executables are different sizes.

Portal? Uses an hl2.exe. They just don't change the one filename because I guess they're lazy.

In closing, you're still wrong. Stop being wrong.

User with the dancing badger

• HIT's Resident Programmer.
  • Gonarch
  • ~= Master Of Mess =~
    • View Profile
    • HostileZone
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 04:46:13 PM »

Error? Once again, by your logic Half Life 1 is a Quake mod.  They both use the same engine, after all.

Counter Strike Source is built on it's own codebase of the Source base. It has it's own code for weapons, it has it's own art files. It has it's own god damned executable and it's own box in the store where you go and buy it. This is the point where something stops being a mod and starts being a game based on the same engine as another game. Same with, oh, Gears of War. So you're wrong on both accounts. Stop being wrong.

Half Life 1 is it's own game because although the engine is based upon the Quake engine, the engines are different. Hence it is not a mod.

CounterStrike Source uses the exact same engine as Half Life 2, the Source engine. Hence it is a mod. How it's packaged (Retail, different box etc.) does not affect this.
Technically speaking, CounterStrike Source is a mod for the Source engine.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »

Half Life 1 is it's own game because although the engine is based upon the Quake engine, the engines are different. Hence it is not a mod.

CounterStrike Source uses the exact same engine as Half Life 2, the Source engine. Hence it is a mod. How it's packaged (Retail, different box etc.) does not affect this.
Technically speaking, CounterStrike Source is a mod for the Source engine.
Then Quake4 is simply a mod for Doom3 then? I don't think you can define it like that. To me, if it requires another game then it is a mod. If it is standalone then it is an entirely different game.

To get back on topic, i cannot see us adding this to HL:e

toadie

• Tango Two Kilo
  • Vice Champeen
  • Gonarch
  • I died a little inside...
    • View Profile
    • Toadie's Ranthole on the Interblag
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 05:40:33 PM »

I know. I was pointing out an error in his sarcasm.

CSS is a mod of HL2 just like CS is a mod of HL.

Most Source engine "games" are nothing but stand alone mods of HL2. What Ackart said is WRONG. Most of the time Mods=/=Engine sharing games, but Source (idk about TF2) is all a HL2 mod. My proof: You can summon HL2 NPCs in (almost) any source game (idk about TF2)
Go on, try and spawn a headcrab in Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines. How About Sin Episodes? I can give you a 100% guarantee that it won't work. What you probably are referring to is Portal's ability to do that. That by far doesn't count for "most", and in fact only limits it down to games that actually are meant to have them in ( games that in the HL2 world).
CSS is NOT a mod of HL2, it IS standalone (doesn't depend on HL2 to run and can be played without having HL2 installed). The original CS however IS a mod of HL, it runs inside the game, needs Half-life installed to play, and uses resources compltely in a dependant relationship to HL (I'm not counting the retail CS package, that was just a repackage of HL1 that directed to /cstrike instead of /valve by default)
Pages: 1 [2]