HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: your evil twin' new review site/blog, featuring C&C3's plot getting ripped apart  (Read 1783 times)

your evil twin

• The Official Half-Life Guru
  • Gonarch
  • I eat Xen Crystals for breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Planet Half-Life

I've created a new blog site where I review the hell out of things. Or rather, write insane dissertation/thesis length deconstructions of them. First up is EA's Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. I find that they did a great job in most areas, but completely missed the whole point of what Tiberium is supposed to be and its role in the story. Kinda important, given that it is in the title of the game. Further investigation reveals that the changes EA made cause the overall plot to make no sense at all!

http://reviewsareseriousbusiness.blogspot.com/

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile

I've created a new blog site where I review the hell out of things. Or rather, write insane dissertation/thesis length deconstructions of them. First up is EA's Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. I find that they did a great job in most areas, but completely missed the whole point of what Tiberium is supposed to be and its role in the story. Kinda important, given that it is in the title of the game. Further investigation reveals that the changes EA made cause the overall plot to make no sense at all!

Coming from a long-time C&C fan who had no intent of purchasing TW long before it came out.... I find this relevant to my interests.

Oh, and, one thing you seem to have missed - there was an explanation as to why CABAL was nowhere to be found, it shipped with the demo.

It was a text file, supposedly an Engineer's Log of a unit leveling CABAL's last bunker.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:03:42 PM by KylerAdams »

your evil twin

• The Official Half-Life Guru
  • Gonarch
  • I eat Xen Crystals for breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Planet Half-Life

Cool. :)

As for the CABAL intel database entry... it did not resolve what was going on with CABAL and Kane. The point is that fans were wondering what would happen next, it seemed CABAL and Kane's minds were fusing. EA just erased that plot by saying the bunker got blown up. (Though given that Kane was alive and well, I took that to mean that GDI discovered the bunker far too late, after it had already served its purpose.) Thankfully EA reconsidered and made the CABAL/Kane thing central to the plot of the Kane's Wrath expansion.

Kane's Wrath doesn't explicitly say anything about it being a fusion of Kane and CABAL's minds, but the name "LEGION" is a bit of a giveaway thanks to the biblical "Our name is legion for we are many." Plus CABAL's face flashes up a few times of Legion's screens, like there is some remnant of CABAL's personality struggling to get out.

So yeah, EA did an excellent job there. Just a shame they arbitrarily changed the Tiberium and in the process inadvertently screwed up twenty other things without noticing.

Oh, by the way, feel free to leave comments on the blog itself. Either click on the thing at the bottom that of the post that says "0 comments", or click on the "Command & Conquer is Serious Business" title.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:23:50 PM by your evil twin »

User with the dancing badger

• HIT's Resident Programmer.
  • Gonarch
  • ~= Master Of Mess =~
    • View Profile
    • HostileZone

Old thread is old, but I've only just noticed it.

I wanted to ask: Why are you doing this ? A personal project or is it going to be a reviewing portfolio ?