HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to spruce up that boring old texture you've just made.  (Read 1959 times)

Abyss 25

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
How to spruce up that boring old texture you've just made.
« on: October 24, 2008, 01:15:45 AM »

Basically just copying and pasting some advice I gave Infallible on CDG in the hopes that it may benefit you guys as well. This tutorial/advice column in geared towards those who can't really make a detailed skin. So let's get started.

What we have here is the before, not bad but could be better:

Quote from: Infallible
Well since apparently people prefer wasting their time by texturing my model like they're a 7 year old who just got a new pack of crayons rather than actually doing a decent texture:

I reply with an intelligent and very cerebral comment as always:

Quote from: Abyss 25
Adding a slight blue hue above your dodging and a red one below the dodge will help with the illusion that the knife is more reflective. Dark red on the burns will also look good on shiny metal. Keep the saturation low to keep this effect subtle. See here: http://sourceblog.org/forums/index.php?topic=631.0 for more detail. If you're going to add damage to the blade then make the scratched bright gray/almost white to maintain that illusion of reflective, shiny metal. If you don't understand this then think the scratches on the back of an ipod that you'll inevitably get if you own one. http://images.macnn.com/macnn/reviews/artwizz/shine-carekit-1before.jpg (Note the blue hue in the light source on that one too).

This is very important if you're going for something metal and shiny like he was.

After some quick graphics tightening I came up with this:

Quote from: Abyss 25
Here's a (really) quickly done edit. Don't be afraid to variate your texture a little with the paint brush tool. If photoshop has it you could set your brush to "Behind" like I do. I did this kind of sloppily but I hope you know what I'm getting at.

EDIT: Also, if you're going for plastic then you should tone down the depth you've got going there. Try just a texture with some gaussian filter shit and maybe 20% noise with a bump map filter at maybe 5% depth. If photoshop doesn't like this or I'm confusing you with my GIMP terminology I can make you a base with GIMP.

Note how important it is to add variation to you're base texture with the brush tool. Scratches and damage (done realistically of course) can also greatly improve you're texture. I do my scratches with the paint brush tool set to about 60% opacity and 1x1 pixels wide with a 20% jitter. Photoshopers might have to do thinks a bit differently but that's fine because I'm just teaching you guys what to do and where to put detail not how to work the damn brush tool.

I hope you all enjoyed this mini-tut and found it to be informative. I'll be adding to this later. Thank you all for listening (or reading or whatever). Good night!

EDIT: And with my help Infallible was able to improve his texture greatly. A true success story.

Quote from: Infallible

Maybe too subtle for people to notice.

I made a layer and just brushed some random colors around and set it to a low opacity.
I changed the coloring from orange/brown to red.
I sharpened the grip.
I added some speckles of white.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:28:55 AM by ABYSS 25 »