HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Still Alive  (Read 17586 times)

Ambient.Impact

• Administrator
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
    • Ambient.Impact.Design
Still Alive
« on: November 19, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »

Hello everyone. This must be a bit of a shock to most of you. Yes, the Half-Life Improvement Team is still kicking. Sort of. Actually, it's more complicated than that. Work on our projects has been fairly slow for a long time, and most of the original people have moved on to bigger and greater things. So why is this [force-local-link]new site[/force-local-link] here? What's going on? I thought it was all dead? What's happened in the last few years of silence?

Here's what's happened in recent years. Work on [force-local-link]Half-Life: Enhanced[/force-local-link] has gone through some rollercoaster rides, sometimes coming off the rails. For the most part, little work was done. Once in a while Matt and I (Ambient.Impact) would check in some significant changes: little edits or silence, punctuated with points of activity. During this, Black Mesa was picking up speed. At first, we started to doubt there was any point anymore in continuing our projects. We were under-manned and would never attain their popularity or scale. And then a variety of other, external factors, such as real life, started to take time away from our projects, until things barely moved. This is where the silence really started, and continued for a long time. Then we reminded ourselves that, primarily, our projects (including HL:E), are, first and foremost, something that we want to pursue, regardless of whether or not we have a large following. It's more important that we work hard, and end up with something that we're proud of, rather than being popular. That is secondary to the goal, for us. That's not to say we don't appreciate feedback from you guys. In fact, it'll become much more important now that we're out in the open about where we are. So, where are we?

At this point, our team consists of Matt and me, and the tireless forum team, who shovel the crap into the sewer on a regular basis. We'll add more people as time goes on, but not too soon, unless plans change. And it's all about planning. (My segways suck, I know) We're starting to lay out a plan that involves everything, from our upgrade content (models, sprites, etc. for existing games, starting with [force-local-link]Half-Life[/force-local-link]), to an updated version of [force-local-link]Blue Shift: Unlocked[/force-local-link], to eventually getting Half-Life: Enhanced going again. Without proper planning, even relatively simple projects can go horribly wrong. That's what happened with HL:E, everyone we brought on had their own ideas of what the project should be about, and started adding stuff in that clashed with the rest. There was no real central plan as to what our goals were, and everything was fairly vague. That won't be the case this time around. I've taken on the responsibility of planning and managing our projects. We're serious this time.

So, what are you going to see in the near future? Well, first and foremost, this site is incomplete at best. Hell, you can't even view anything on our current projects. That'll be the first priority: fixing this puppy up all nice and proper. Then, we'll start to release a few bits of content (models, sprites) as time goes on, along with a much-needed update to Blue Shift: Unlocked. We'll probably be making some inroads on Half-Life: Enhanced in the meanwhile, but I should stress that work on that will be slow for a good while, as we get our bearings, work on internal planning, and organise ourselves.

A giant cookie to those of you that know the significance of today's date.

Now then, to answer what's certainly going to be an avalanche of questions:

Who's behind all this? Who's in charge now?
Matt and Ambient.Impact are currently the only ones involved. For the time being we're not going to add anyone else to the team. When we will, it'll be only to fill a position neither of us can carry out, as less people means less cats to herd. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Who created the website? Why doesn't it look very good in ancient browsers? The fancy animations are choppy and are slowing my poor computer down!
I (Ambient.Impact) created the website. This site has been a work in progress for several years, and has gone through several major revisions. Old browsers, like Internet Explorer 6 aren't capable of rendering some of the advanced features used in this website, and that's all there is to it. You'll need a modern browser, such as Firefox (or another Mozilla browser), Opera, Safari, Google Chrome, or a recent version of Internet Explorer. If the site is running slowly for you, try turning off the title animation. You can also switch over to the HIT Classic theme, which looks very much like the original site and is fairly light on the visual effects.

Is that crowbar on the main page a real model? Can I have it? Who created it?
Yes, it is, and not yet - patience, young grasshopper. It was fully modelled and textured by me (Ambient.Impact) this summer (2008). It'll be released at some point soon, once we create a new HEV hand model to go with it.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:21:03 AM by Ambient.Impact »

Nige111

• Gonarch
  • Metal Gea.. I mean.. Shagohod?!
    • View Profile
    • Cake :D
Re: Still Alive
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 06:22:22 AM »

This is great news, I was kinda saddened how the flow of news had shrunk down to a small trickle, but atleast now I can know that's a small trickle of hope. :P

Flowers Of Naivety

• DIE DIE DIE
  • Gonarch
  • kikikimamama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 06:35:54 AM »

OH SNAP!

And yeah it's HL1's Bday.

The site looks great, and this news is very, very welcome.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 06:40:29 AM by Flowers Of Naivety »

technoblue

• Alien Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:47:25 AM »

Clean, valid, and semantic HTML is an art
   XHTML is dead, long live HTML 5

:D

Its rather amazing what you can do with Javascript these days :)

Looking forward to see what you guys cook up.

Nige111

• Gonarch
  • Metal Gea.. I mean.. Shagohod?!
    • View Profile
    • Cake :D
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 06:55:44 AM »

Well shit, I've been waiting for this day for 10 years and when it comes I completely forget about it.

stupid sexy flanders

Ambient.Impact

• Administrator
  • Vortigaunt
    • View Profile
    • Ambient.Impact.Design
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 07:06:10 AM »

Well shit, I've been waiting for this day for 10 years and when it comes I completely forget about it.
We have a winner. Yeah, we weren't waiting for it, exactly. But then the site was just about ready a while before this date, so we figured it was the best possible time to launch.

Its rather amazing what you can do with Javascript these days :)
It wouldn't be anything without modern browsers supporting it. And anyone still using an ancient browser won't get the pretty stuff. It's not just JavaScript, but CSS that has to work as well, they go hand in hand. Not to mention web standards, best practices (including progressive enhancement), and whatever buzzwords I can fill this post up with. Those are more important than being able to do snazzy things with JavaScript. What can I say, I love web development, along with sprucing up Half-Life. :)

Bite

• Providing Tomorrow Today
  • Snark
  • Omnius Global
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 08:30:22 AM »

What a way to start the day. And what a perfect day to go public as well. I'll be keeping my good eye on this one, as I have in the past.

bloodsurfer

• The zxeno prophet
  • Gargantua
  • Coding furiously
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »

So could we start sabering the champagne and finally warring our T-Shirt "I Knew HIT wasn't dead, bitches"  ?

Those are more important than being able to do snazzy things with JavaScript.

Not mentioning what you can do with stuff such as jps or asp.net

Edit: I just played with the new website, it's really nice, even if links are redirecting to nowhere, bring me back so old memories, thanks
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:32:17 AM by bloodsurfer »

SaxonSwine

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 10:44:24 AM »

What next, a DNF release?!

I like what you've done to the website, but the links all bring up blank pages  :-\

DiamonD

• Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:49:42 AM »

What will the Blue Shift: Unlocked Update hold in store for us? Minuit just got permission from Matt to use the BS:U code for a new mod of mine.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 11:51:10 AM »

I like what you've done to the website, but the links all bring up blank pages  Undecided
The pages were working before. Not sure what has changed now

What will the Blue Shift: Unlocked Update hold in store for us? Minuit just got permission from Matt to use the BS:U code for a new mod of mine.
Not the code, just the tool to convert the maps to standard HL bsp files

Anton

• -
  • Gonarch
  • -
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 12:55:35 PM »

This is the best thing this week.

Hell, it might just be the best thing this month!
I love the new layout, and good luck on your projects!

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 01:02:07 PM »

I take it was a new theme, not an update for the previous ones? Cuz I'm using HECU + I don't see anything different, other than the updated news box. :P

Matt

• Administrator
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
    • HL-Improvement
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 01:28:22 PM »

Completely new site. Not just a theme

Link

KylerAdams

• A subtly invisible
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 01:35:23 PM »

OH.

I don't go to the main site anymore, just directly to the forums.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4