HIT Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Half-Life: Zombie Edition - RELEASED  (Read 9438 times)

Shooter__Andy

• Idea Generator
  • Gargantua
  • ZombieEd. dev.
    • View Profile
    • Shooter__Andy's HomePage (in russian)
Re: Half-Life: Zombie Edition - RELEASED
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 04:29:59 PM »

Just beat it.

-It's a great idea, but badly executed. Levels are nice, some parts are too bland (and useless?).
-Lots of bugs (some of them are fixed in hotfix).
-Gameplay just doesn't works. AI is dumb, they don't shoot you at all (and get killed all the times).
-Too short. Story, and ending doesn't makes any sense.

6 (or maybe 5)/10
I hate it when people post comments like this, no offence, Barnz, but it's as useless as "it's awesome" or "it's shit". It SEEMS like a constructive criticism but it's not.
1. What do you mean "bland"? And some parts were SUPPOSED to be useless, so that wouldn't be a corridor with you moving from point a to point b.
2. What bugs? If you've found them, post them here so I could fix them, otherwise what's the point?
3. No, they shoot you. Some people were complaining that they can't complete the mod.
Nevermind the voice on the very last map, I couldn't find a good actor, so I kept that one for awhile.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:31:59 PM by Shooter__Andy »

Barnz

• French Fries
  • Gonarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 04:43:25 PM »

Quote from: Shooter__Andy
1. What do you mean "bland"? And some parts were SUPPOSED to be useless, so that wouldn't be a corridor with you moving from point a to point b.

Corridor with lots of turrets looked bland to me.

2. What bugs? If you've found them, post them here so I could fix them, otherwise what's the point?

Some scripts simply don't work (had to replay first level 2-3 times). It's mostly special brush (i.e. func_door_rotating)/scripted_sequence related bugs (oh and player can reach/see areas with nodraw surfaces).

3. No, they shoot you. Some people were complaining that they can't complete the mod.

They run around, and get killed by other characters. I'm sure you can beat the whole thing without killing any single enemy.

Cookie man

• Want some cookies?
  • Gargantua
  • :\
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »

I've noticed a bug, somehow barneys and scientists with M16s and shotguns doesn't do damage to me or is it just happening to me?

Great mod by the way.

Shooter__Andy

• Idea Generator
  • Gargantua
  • ZombieEd. dev.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 06:07:12 PM »

Corridor with lots of turrets looked bland to me.
I just don't understand what "bland" means. Empty or what?
Some scripts simply don't work (had to replay first level 2-3 times). It's mostly special brush (i.e. func_door_rotating)/scripted_sequence related bugs (oh and player can reach/see areas with nodraw surfaces).
So, I have fixed bugs with func_door_rotating in my hotfix. I just tested it. It works fine. If you have installed the hotfix then please be more exact, because I don't know what to fix. I don't think I can fix scripted_sequence related bugs because all that stuff doesn't work fine in normal h-l and it's not my fault they are still buggy. I havent' messed with the AI on that.
They run around, and get killed by other characters. I'm sure you can beat the whole thing without killing any single enemy.
Yes, if you won't count headhumping as killing. That was the whole point - you can play this mod whatever way you like.
I've noticed a bug, somehow barneys and scientists with M16s and shotguns doesn't do damage to me or is it just happening to me?
It's just you without a hotfix.

Anton

• -
  • Gonarch
  • -
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 07:19:57 PM »

I wish there was a bit more random fleeing meat in some places like Scientists and stuff.

I played Crasher now with the Hotfix, and it was nice, although the Gman Speech at the end is sort of strange , but it's hard to make your own so i will accpet that.

Also, people should get aware of your presence when you shoot acid at them, i sniped a couple of really dangerous enemies, but i would rather have them run at me and i can knock their skull open :)

Anyway, I am thinking of making some maps for this, i bet I could whip up something that would play pretty well. I encountered some bugs, like the computer screen with nodraw as a texture inside of the room with the crack in the door, But I think this was pretty cool, and really, really fun when you met the grunts. A nice challlenge, and giving me a good use for my cover-face move, which was really cool.
The mapping is excellent, but in some places it acts strangely, like, for example the infamous elevator level, if I completed that level without loading a quicksave, just beating it through quickly, it didn't teleport me to the next map, for some reason. but that was all pretty cool.

I wonder though, Will the Breeder have to use existing barnacles? Because I didn't notice any barnacle throughout it all, and also there seemed to be pretty few zombies in there, too. So i wonder what he is supposed to command.

One thing I would really love to see (although I know it's hard to properly update SinglePlayer mods) is a minor running function, to replace the shift-walk for breeders and crashers, like a really short bump of sprint, that doesn't need to be too fast, but still working, and it could drain the flashlight thingy, to give it some sort of penalty. Another thing is a load of more nodes on the maps, and somewhat roaming enemies, as stated, they just camp around where they are, if you throw acid at them.

All in all, I really liked my first play through, and this has a load of replay value, because of the very different classes. but i'm sure all Crashers like me would appreciate a faster handicap lift :P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 07:21:55 PM by Anton »

Shooter__Andy

• Idea Generator
  • Gargantua
  • ZombieEd. dev.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 07:36:14 PM »

Also, people should get aware of your presence when you shoot acid at them, i sniped a couple of really dangerous enemies, but i would rather have them run at me and i can knock their skull open :)
Hmm, haven't mentioned that before. You mean they got aware but were too lazy (no nodes) to go to you or they haven't even reacted to you?
Anyway, I am thinking of making some maps for this, i bet I could whip up something that would play pretty well.
That's one an excellent idea. I strongly recommend you to try that, because this mod has some real potential. It has no fast zombies used, for instance, while they are fully coded in.
like the computer screen with nodraw as a texture inside of the room with the crack in the door
Okay, we'll fix that.
it didn't teleport me to the next map, for some reason. but that was all pretty cool.
Were you IN the truck or behind it? And wait, if you loaded a quicksave that goes well?
I wonder though, Will the Breeder have to use existing barnacles? Because I didn't notice any barnacle throughout it all, and also there seemed to be pretty few zombies in there, too. So i wonder what he is supposed to command.
Yeah, that's hard to make every map playable for every class. As for barnacles, we just forgot to put them in. Big mistake, but we will fix that.
One thing I would really love to see (although I know it's hard to properly update SinglePlayer mods) is a minor running function, to replace the shift-walk for breeders and crashers, like a really short bump of sprint, that doesn't need to be too fast, but still working, and it could drain the flashlight thingy, to give it some sort of penalty.
Okay, I totally understand why you want it, but I'm not sure it will fit in. You see, you are faster than normal zombies anyway, and if you will have the ability to sprint... Erm.
but i'm sure all Crashers like me would appreciate a faster handicap lift :P
I don't think I understood you here. What do you mean?

Anton

• -
  • Gonarch
  • -
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 07:42:07 PM »

They made pain sounds, and if i did it at realtively close ranges they even turned towards me but just went like, "who cares" And sometimes they got into panic state and started aiming straight forward, but still didn't care, and just stood there.

Also, the sprint thingy would be slower than the walk of the rusher, just like a little dash for the empty cooridors, and that sort of stuff.

Also handicap lift, the one in the room was pretty funky for a lazy person like me, but even the crasher could walk the stairs faster than it travelled.

Shooter__Andy

• Idea Generator
  • Gargantua
  • ZombieEd. dev.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 07:53:14 PM »

They made pain sounds, and if i did it at realtively close ranges they even turned towards me but just went like, "who cares" And sometimes they got into panic state and started aiming straight forward, but still didn't care, and just stood there.
Stupid AI. Hate it in hl1. Apparently in normal hl they gets warned not by the direct damage given to them, but to the sounds you make (not even the real sounds, but coded ones). Like "Ouch! Something just bite off my arm! But I don't care because coder haven't set the sound-like-program-event to that action". I'll try to fix it.
Also, the sprint thingy would be slower than the walk of the rusher, just like a little dash for the empty cooridors, and that sort of stuff.
That's the whole problem, because corridors are not always empty, and when you kill somebody whos' running from you (not by rusher)... What's the point of being zombie then?
Also handicap lift, the one in the room was pretty funky for a lazy person like me, but even the crasher could walk the stairs faster than it travelled.
Heh, it was just one thing to mske this level more realistic. It doesn't serves any real purpose. For you, not for poor handicapped Black Mesa scientists.

Anton

• -
  • Gonarch
  • -
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 08:06:05 PM »

Also, i had a lot of trouble breaking some grates, for xample the one with the vent over the heads of the two barneys with the turret. That was so complicated that after a while i did, what I should have done from the start: I just walked over there and beat them down with my claws.

Shooter__Andy

• Idea Generator
  • Gargantua
  • ZombieEd. dev.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »

You can't break some stuff when you are headcrab (stuff that has more hp than the damage that headcrab does), and apparently you were headcrab, because crahser can't crouch, right?

Cpl. Slider101

• Modeller. Thing.
  • Gargantua
  • I like... stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 08:25:03 PM »

I somehow think this idea would work better on the source engine. You'd have more possibilities (throwing stuff/punching stuff at enemies) etc.

I agree with others. The idea is very good and the code is pretty much how it should be.

My personal problems with this mod:

Glitches. Getting stuck on some parts can be annoying.

Not being able to change my class. I don't wanna play the entire game with 1 class! That's boring!

Overall boredom.

The game's gameplay just doesn't seem right.

I tried playing the regular Half Life Campaign and I must say... I'm stunned. Start a map on C1A1 and have fun. (You will instantly get headcrabbed as Gordon when the first headcrab spawns. From there on, you control the headcrab.)

Shooter__Andy

• Idea Generator
  • Gargantua
  • ZombieEd. dev.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 05:18:10 AM »

Glitches. Getting stuck on some parts can be annoying.
That's usual problem, every mod I've seen has it. You can get stuck in normal half-life, you know? Still, it would be better if you post that places here.
Not being able to change my class. I don't wanna play the entire game with 1 class! That's boring!
Whoa, ever played any RPG? Diablo, eh?
Overall boredom.

The game's gameplay just doesn't seem right.
Can't fix that. Others say it's fun.
I tried playing the regular Half Life Campaign and I must say... I'm stunned. Start a map on C1A1 and have fun. (You will instantly get headcrabbed as Gordon when the first headcrab spawns. From there on, you control the headcrab.)
Yeah, I've made that possible too.

Greer

• Allergic
  • Alien Grunt
  • Crazy porter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2008, 05:26:44 AM »

Fully agree with what Andy said, even if not look from RPG side, you mutate in one side, you cant go back.As stated even by HL creators-headcrabs change body forever, nothing can get it back.

Shooter__Andy

• Idea Generator
  • Gargantua
  • ZombieEd. dev.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2008, 05:35:38 AM »

Fully agree with what Andy said, even if not look from RPG side, you mutate in one side, you cant go back.As stated even by HL creators-headcrabs change body forever, nothing can get it back.
Yeah, maybe it is boring, but it's right. Also, imagine you mutate into rusher, trying to play stealthy then when the enemies got you (normally in any stealth-action that means you either dead or having serious problems), you mutate into crasher and beat the shit outta them. THen you regenerate your hp and got more host hp than usual, then you mutate into breeder.
How's that? Maybe it sounds cool but it's like cheating. You can beat EVERY situation then. Got surrounded by gazillion enemies? Rusher, stealth. Outta headcrabs as breeder? Crasher. Got zombie buddies here but they won't help you? Breeder.
The result is even more boredom. THe game where you can't lose is boring.

Dede

• Houndeye
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 05:59:41 AM »

What about using flesh points to change back to normal zombie and you still have to spend your flesh points on becoming the other class you want to be?
Pages: 1 [2] 3